• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Diego65

Reaction score
Last 348: I want to share with you guys my experience with the last 348: Hallam in 10.5 UK was my first pair on this last, and always was one of my most comfortable shoes; it felt like a glove from the very beginning. My size in Brannock is 12 Us right foot and 12.5 on left foot, with D on both feet (11UK); usually, my size in C&J is 10.5/11 UK, but recently I tried in the last 348 in size10 UK and was more than perfect, which was a surprise to me. I just bought a pair of Alex for a wedding and picked a pair of Tetbury too in black calf leather; It feels a little bit snug but not uncomfortable (right outside the box). That's means that the others (Tetbury in suede, Lowndes, Northcote, Norwich, Hallam, Westbourne) in size 10.5 Uk are half size bigger than I need, but still comfortable but fit better than those in 10 UK.
In both size 10 Uk and 10.5 UK, the ball of my foot is in the right place to the shoe. The salesman has recommended I try 10 UK. It works, aesthetically looks even better; we have a long chat about how must fit the 348 last and how much space must be between the toes and front of the toe box, the advice is one inch, and that happens to me with the 10.5 Uk, but the 10 UK still fit well, and there is less than one inch, and the ball still is in the right place. I supposed this is due to the shape of my feet, which are long and narrow. One of the problems with this Last is the fact that it is challenging to choose the right size; for many years, I was wearing 10.5. Now I realised that it fits better the 10, as an example, the Lowndes are the second comfy shoes I got (10.5 UK), and I tried in store just for the sake of try 10, and the left foot feels too snug and right foot just perfect, the Hallan in 10 fits ideal left and right.
Some people say that the last 348 looks clownish; maybe it is due to the difficulty to choose the right size?
Anyway, this is just a thought of Saturday afternoon.

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Navy Conistons
0B23941D-5704-459D-84E2-44A6EAAEA3B2.jpeg

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with Roger, very comfortable right out of the box, and where them at least twice a week. Will be seeing a ton of wear this fall/winter on me. Great with jean and chinos…

These aren't the answers I'm looking for. I want to be told they are excruciatingly painful and poorly made. This is because I've already bought two new pairs for this Winter, my Islays and a pair of waxed suede, lugged sole wingtips from AE.

Last edited:

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Threw the Islay on for a short walk to grab some tacos. Every bit of break in helps
20210918_140346.jpg

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome boot and patriotic cushions to top the look … ??

Ha. Though since I'm American, the Union Jack is probably more of a fashion statement than a patriotic one. Now, on the other hand, if I could find a Welsh flag pillow come Six Nations time, that would be a statement. ????????

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
You won’t like my advice either then, Molton is a great Chukka that is a bit different from the norm with the rough-out suede and more squared toe box (which may not be to your taste of course). I can vouch for them being heavy as well, something else to keep in mind.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You won’t like my advice either then, Molton is a great Chukka that is a bit different from the norm with the rough-out suede and more squared toe box (which may not be to your taste of course). I can vouch for them being heavy as well, something else to keep in mind.
I feel like the chisel toe can be a love/hate relationship for a lot of people considering it’s a chukka. I like the last, the waxed roughout, the execution of the pattern……but I’d have to try them on before buying them. They look like western chukkas to me….something that John Wayne would wear in a contemporary stylish western film.

they seem to have a chunky welt which I find aesthetically pleasing in a lot of footwear. I love the Enzo fudge welts.

Atemporal

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I saw that in the Saphir section of Crockett & Jones website it is not offered Saphir sole guard. I was wondering if that would mean that, let's say C&J don't "recommend" it perhaps... I found some controversy about using in on the web.

Is there any other way to take care of the leather soles?

Atemporal

Reaction score
Last 348: I want to share with you guys my experience with the last 348: Hallam in 10.5 UK was my first pair on this last, and always was one of my most comfortable shoes; it felt like a glove from the very beginning. My size in Brannock is 12 Us right foot and 12.5 on left foot, with D on both feet (11UK); usually, my size in C&J is 10.5/11 UK, but recently I tried in the last 348 in size10 UK and was more than perfect, which was a surprise to me. I just bought a pair of Alex for a wedding and picked a pair of Tetbury too in black calf leather; It feels a little bit snug but not uncomfortable (right outside the box). That's means that the others (Tetbury in suede, Lowndes, Northcote, Norwich, Hallam, Westbourne) in size 10.5 Uk are half size bigger than I need, but still comfortable but fit better than those in 10 UK.
In both size 10 Uk and 10.5 UK, the ball of my foot is in the right place to the shoe. The salesman has recommended I try 10 UK. It works, aesthetically looks even better; we have a long chat about how must fit the 348 last and how much space must be between the toes and front of the toe box, the advice is one inch, and that happens to me with the 10.5 Uk, but the 10 UK still fit well, and there is less than one inch, and the ball still is in the right place. I supposed this is due to the shape of my feet, which are long and narrow. One of the problems with this Last is the fact that it is challenging to choose the right size; for many years, I was wearing 10.5. Now I realised that it fits better the 10, as an example, the Lowndes are the second comfy shoes I got (10.5 UK), and I tried in store just for the sake of try 10, and the left foot feels too snug and right foot just perfect, the Hallan in 10 fits ideal left and right.
Some people say that the last 348 looks clownish; maybe it is due to the difficulty to choose the right size?
Anyway, this is just a thought of Saturday afternoon.

I totally understand what you explain here. I like a lot that last, especially the Hallam -but others too. Unfortunately almost any size looks ok on me. I moved to more rounded toe last and it is a better solution for me.
Said that, what I realised is that, in case of doubt between 2 sizes, the better approach -if possible- is trying even more than one pair of each size... Yeah, you heard correctly... Sometimes happened to me that even the same size, one shoe was smaller that other.

DrewMill

Reaction score
Hello, all. I'm looking for a bit of sizing help with C&J. Here are a few comparable sizes I wear:

Cheaney 10.5F 125 Last
Carmina 10.5F RAIN and FOREST Lasts
Allen Edmonds 11D 65 Last

I'm concerned about the sizing for C&J, because they usually run an E width, but I'm not sure if it's a true E width. My only experience with E widths are the Carmina EUTAM last and the Meermin HIRO last, and both are a bit tight on the toes. Are C&Js an option for me, or should I stick with other brands that I already know? Thanks in advance!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads