• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burnished calf is not corrected grain, I have the Chelsea 3 with same leather (different last and leather sole) and I am super happy with them.

Excellent. Thanks!

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Burnished calf just has dark polish highlights applied.
C&J Cavalry calf is their corrected grain.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Islay says, "hold my whisky."
That is definitely understandable. The Islay’s 365 actually fit me better than the Coniston’s 325. But, for me in terms of a BOOT, in my minds eye, I see the Coniston as the winner.
My first time in CJ NY I put the Coniston DB Grain and the Islay next to each other and dithered for quite a while.

Then bought the Coniston.
When I think of BOOT, for me, C&J nailed it with the Coniston.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a 10 and have a UK9. For someone like me, who owns EG's and CJ I find the build quality to be excellent. I think to an amateur like myself it'd be hard to tell much difference. The 376 last fits my foot so well so that was a selling point for me

+1

I'm sure many EG fans will disagree, but I find the difference in construction negligible. I'll readily admit I'm just an enthusiast and my footwear knowledge is limited, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. EG calf leather quality appears better, but cordovan should be exactly the same (Horween).

For me each maker fills a niche, and I own about the same number of EG and C&J. @Biogentic as far as shell loafers are concerned, I would probably stick with C&J unless you much prefer the Duke (in terms of fit/aesthetics).

Last edited:

Drinkduff

Reaction score
How is the city rubber sole? Is it good quality? Comfortable? It looks like a bootleg version of Dainite, so I am a little concerned.

I’ve found the city sole doesn’t hold its “flatness” as well as leather or Dainite. The thinner rubber is flexible and has “cupped outwards” around my foot. It makes for a unique fit, but I like the grip in the wet Pacific Northwest.
And this is my first SF comment, good to meet y’all.
2A9C68E2-B56A-4940-BB01-D17B49CDBC8A.jpeg

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve found the city sole doesn’t hold its “flatness” as well as leather or Dainite. The thinner rubber is flexible and has “cupped outwards” around my foot. It makes for a unique fit, but I like the grip in the wet Pacific Northwest.
View attachment 1611771
Well your first comment is very insightful, so thanks. Usually someone's first post is a question that can be easily searched on the forum?

dench127

Reaction score
View attachment 1611771
Yeah I think EG R1 soles have the same issue, it seems to lose its shape and as you say, "flatness", over time.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1611771

Superb first post.

oldworldelegance

Reaction score
View attachment 1611771

Very insightful first comment. I'll check mine to see if they've also acquired a concave shape.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
That is definitely understandable. The Islay’s 365 actually fit me better than the Coniston’s 325. But, for me in terms of a BOOT, in my minds eye, I see the Coniston as the winner.

When I think of BOOT, for me, C&J nailed it with the Coniston.

Could not agree more. To me, the Coniston is an iconic English boot. Sort of like the Viberg 2030 service boot in that prototype sense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads