• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is the city rubber sole? Is it good quality? Comfortable? It looks like a bootleg version of Dainite, so I am a little concerned.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is the city rubber sole? Is it good quality? Comfortable? It looks like a bootleg version of Dainite, so I am a little concerned.
I like it, it's lightweight and maybe not as comfortable as single leather but way better than Dainite. It's made by the same company. CJ answer to EG's R1

oldworldelegance

Reaction score

It's actually made by the same company that makes Dainite, the Harboro rubber company, specially for Crockett & Jones, so no need to worry about the quality.

I'm quite fond of them, they have a thinner profile (so more akin to a leather sole from the side), you don't get grit or dirt stuck on them like you do on the Dainite circles and they are possibly less slippery (although to be fair, I never found Dainite to be slippery, but many do).

Regarding longevity, I can't comment yet, as I've had them for less than a year.

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it, it's lightweight and maybe not as comfortable as single leather but way better than Dainite. It's made by the same company. CJ answer to EG's R1

Cool, cool. How's the performance in wet weather and such?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's actually made by the same company that makes Dainite, the Harboro rubber company, specially for Crockett & Jones, so no need to worry about the quality.

I'm quite fond of them, they have a thinner profile (so more akin to a leather sole from the side), you don't get grit or dirt stuck on them like you do on the Dainite circles and they are possibly less slippery (although to be fair, I never found Dainite to be slippery, but many do).

Regarding longevity, I can't comment yet, as I've had them for less than a year.

Excellent. Thanks. Yeah, I mean, dainite makes good quality rubber, and I like the slimmer silhouette for sure. I also don't have the slippery experience, but I prefer leather.

I really like these pair of C&J chelseas: https://us.crockettandjones.com/collections/chelsea-8/products/chelsea-8-chestnut-calf

They only come on the city sole and I was like: hmmm, I am not so sure...

Speaking of those shoes: "Burnished calf" is not one of those code words for "corrected grain", is it? I know Church's does book binder at the same price point, so I thought to ask to make sure.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool, cool. How's the performance in wet weather and such?
I've only got them on a pair whiskey shell Harvard 2's so they don't see rain honestly. My brown shell Harvard's are currently being resoled to it though and they were on single leather when new.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only got them on a pair whiskey shell Harvard 2's so they don't see rain honestly. My brown shell Harvard's are currently being resoled to it though and they were on single leather when new.

Liked em enough to change the soles? Oh my! That's actually impressive, then.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm first and foremost a leather sole guy but after getting the Harvard 2's and a pair of EG Piccadilly on R1 I really felt like I wasn't sacrificing too much comfort for the longevity. I still opt for DL and metal toe taps on most boots, but I don't hate these thin rubber options on loafers.

oldworldelegance

Reaction score

I guess it all depends on where you live. Here in Stockholm the city sole is far more useful than leather if you want to use the shoes throughout most of the year. In winter there's grit added to the roads and of course ice and snow aren't great for leather soles. So for me the city sole is great because it's slimmer than Dainite while retaining many of its advantages. Leather might look nicer but it's less practical and durable.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it all depends on where you live. Here in Stockholm the city sole is far more useful than leather if you want to use the shoes throughout most of the year. In winter there's grit added to the roads and of course ice and snow aren't great for leather soles. So for me the city sole is great because it's slimmer than Dainite while retaining many of its advantages. Leather might look nicer but it's less practical and durable.

Yes, that makes absolute sense.

I've been thinking of getting more rubber options because Illinois, like Stockholm, is an icy mess. Even New York, where I also spend my time, gets icy and gritty and so forth.

Biogentic

Reaction score
anyone own a C&J Whiskey shell Havard 2? If i am a US9, what size should i get? How is the build quality compared to EG Duke Whiskey?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone own a C&J Whiskey shell Havard 2? If i am a US9, what size should i get? How is the build quality compared to EG Duke Whiskey?
I'm a 10 and have a UK9. For someone like me, who owns EG's and CJ I find the build quality to be excellent. I think to an amateur like myself it'd be hard to tell much difference. The 376 last fits my foot so well so that was a selling point for me

Biogentic

Reaction score
this is the one.. seems Alden is not available.. this should be the best available?

Braid

Reaction score
Excellent. Thanks. Yeah, I mean, dainite makes good quality rubber, and I like the slimmer silhouette for sure. I also don't have the slippery experience, but I prefer leather.

I really like these pair of C&J chelseas: https://us.crockettandjones.com/collections/chelsea-8/products/chelsea-8-chestnut-calf

They only come on the city sole and I was like: hmmm, I am not so sure...

Speaking of those shoes: "Burnished calf" is not one of those code words for "corrected grain", is it? I know Church's does book binder at the same price point, so I thought to ask to make sure.
Burnished calf is not corrected grain, I have the Chelsea 3 with same leather (different last and leather sole) and I am super happy with them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads