• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A brief fit question. I did the trace my foot and send the measurements to C&J thing. They came back this morning with a UK 9 when I wear a 9.5 E-EEE in Allen Edmonds. I specifically mentioned that I was looking at the Boston loafer on the 314 last and Islay boot on the 365. Does this sound correct?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A brief fit question. I did the trace my foot and send the measurements to C&J thing. They came back this morning with a UK 9 when I wear a 9.5 E-EEE in Allen Edmonds. I specifically mentioned that I was looking at the Boston loafer on the 314 last and Islay boot on the 365. Does this sound correct?

No, I don't think it does. I think they aren't taking into consideration width issues.

For instance, I take an 11.5 EEE in Allen Edmonds, which would be a 10.5 G, but I buy 11.5 E on my Pembrokes to get a sufficient width that nevertheless doesn't sacrifice much (at all?) in foot placement.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I don't think it does. I think they aren't taking into consideration width issues.

For instance, I take an 11.5 EEE in Allen Edmonds, which would be a 10.5 G, but I buy 11.5 E on my Pembrokes to get a sufficient width that nevertheless doesn't sacrifice much (at all?) in foot placement.

Thanks.I think I may be closer to E than EEE now with AE, though I put about four miles on my EEE Leiden weaves on Saturday with no slippage. I was measured twice as EEE by them in 2019, but I was also 20-30 pounds heavier and as I would soon come to know my gout was becoming chronic. Since then, I've dropped the weight and went on a pretty serious steroid treatment and haven't had a gout flare in almost a year.

I figured that sizing the standard full size down to get the UK size wouldn't work because of width issues. I'm really leary of taking a full UK 9.5 though specifically with a loafer. Also wanted to buy them from Kostas at the Noble Shoe, which means they can't be returned.

I don't know. I might just wait. I'll be in NYC before the end of the year for business, and I maybe should hold off and get a proper fitting at their NYC store. Thanks.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks.I think I may be closer to E than EEE now with AE, though I put about four miles on my EEE Leiden weaves on Saturday with no slippage. I was measured twice as EEE by them in 2019, but I was also 20-30 pounds heavier and as I would soon come to know my gout was becoming chronic. Since then, I've dropped the weight and went on a pretty serious steroid treatment and haven't had a gout flare in almost a year.

I figured that sizing the standard full size down to get the UK size wouldn't work because of width issues. I'm really leary of taking a full UK 9.5 though specifically with a loafer. Also wanted to buy them from Kostas at the Noble Shoe, which means they can't be returned.

I don't know. I might just wait. I'll be in NYC before the end of the year for business, and I maybe should hold off and get a proper fitting at their NYC store. Thanks.

If you go to the Soho store, which I recommend, ask for Kyle Amy, and tell them James with the pembrokes sent you. I can give you my last name in PM if you want.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you go to the Soho store, which I recommend, ask for Kyle Amy, and tell them James with the pembrokes sent you. I can give you my last name in PM if you want.

Thanks for the rec. "James With The Pembrokes" will work. All sounds very early LeCarre.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you gave them your measurements and tracings, are confident in your measurements you provided and told them other fits then yes I’d take their guidance over any of ours. None of us have your measurements or tracings and all our feet are different we can share how certain shoes fit us compared to other shoes that you might have experience with but that’s about it.

I’d start by placing an order based on their guidance through a vendor who accepts returns easily or allows you to pay through PayPal to have return shipping reimbursed in the event they don’t fit.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you gave them your measurements and tracings, are confident in your measurements you provided and told them other fits then yes I’d take their guidance over any of ours. None of us have your measurements or tracings and all our feet are different we can share how certain shoes fit us compared to other shoes that you might have experience with but that’s about it.

I’d start by placing an order based on their guidance through a vendor who accepts returns easily or allows you to pay through PayPal to have return shipping reimbursed in the event they don’t fit.

I'm tending to agree. I love Kostas' videos, and his passion for quality shoes really shines through. However, at least for my first C&J pair, I should probably eat the extra hundred dollars and order them from C&J, so that I can return.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm tending to agree. I love Kostas' videos, and his passion for quality shoes really shines through. However, at least for my first C&J pair, I should probably eat the extra hundred dollars and order them from C&J, so that I can return.
If it's RTW you can do returns through Kostas for two weeks I think. There are a bunch of retailers so you should have some options that accept returns. I think Cavour and Pediwear both do as well.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m planning on selling 3 pairs of GMTO C&J boots (whisky shell Lindricks, whisky shell Galway, brown shell Lindricks). I was considering using ebay, although I do worry a bit about fraud and scams and such (people falsely claiming they never received the boots and then getting a refund as eBay usually sided with the buyer).

Any of you routinely sell items in this price range on eBay? Better to look for other avenues?
Thanks!

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would someone who owns a pair of black Conistons be so kind as to share photos of them so I can see how they age? I am very tempted to pick up a pair in black but was curious whether they even come close to even matching the beautiful aging of the dark brown grain versions...

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m planning on selling 3 pairs of GMTO C&J boots (whisky shell Lindricks, whisky shell Galway, brown shell Lindricks). I was considering using ebay, although I do worry a bit about fraud and scams and such (people falsely claiming they never received the boots and then getting a refund as eBay usually sided with the buyer).

Any of you routinely sell items in this price range on eBay? Better to look for other avenues?
Thanks!
You could always try here first. I think if you have the backup and ship with tracking you should be okay

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks!
I’ve used eBay mostly as a buyer and it worked pretty well. My one experience of Grailed was the exact opposite. I imagine tracked postage will be the way to go for you....

What sizes are you looking to shift, by the way?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks!
eBay probably gets you the most eyes but you could also list on B&S here and on Reddit to start. I’ve used poshmark in the past - smaller pond to fish in but it has the upside of your being forced to use their shipping label so their system knows whether it was delivered or not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads