• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Hurlazza4

Reaction score
Correct. Those are Somerville MTO (all black calfskin, city sole, and speed hooks).

Left to right - Coniston, Islay, Ross, Somerville
With just those 4 it’s hard to see any situation where you’d need anything else.
If I may, which last are the Somervilles made on?

Bayou Tiger

Reaction score
More pics of the ROSS pls!!!!
Here are a couple of photos. I actually wore the boots today.

As much as I enjoy wearing these Ross boots, they are a half-size too big (UK9.5). These were my first UK boots, and I am a US10D in almost everything. I went with C&J guidance on a UK9.5, but since then realized that a UK9 is my fit (all other boots fit great).

Early on I tried insoles, but the top of my foot was too tight. Finally I found that using cushioned boot socks from Darn Tough fits much better.

I would still be open to a trade if someone wanted to swap for their Ross in UK9 of similar condition.

20210420_180645.jpg

20210420_180339.jpg

Last edited:

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of photos. I actually wore the boots today.

As much as I enjoy wearing these Ross boots, they are a half-size too big (UK9.5). These were my first UK boots, and I am a US10D in almost everything. I went with C&J guidance on a UK9.5, but since then realized that a UK9 is my fit (all other boots fit great).

Early on I tried insoles, but the top of my foot was too tight. Finally I found that using cushioned boot socks from Darn Tough fits much better.

I would still be open to a trade if someone wanted to swap for their Ross in UK9 of similar condition.

View attachment 1596920
View attachment 1596921
Quite liking that toe shape, not too sure about the collar..... Hmmmm....

Bayou Tiger

Reaction score
I’d have thought would have been water tight for a year or two anyway? Not a critique. Your feet, your boots is my philosophy.
It was partly my curiosity. Worst case I figured they would darken slightly, which I prefer.

Doing the same to the Ross boots out of the box took those up a notch, making the leather even more supple.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite liking that toe shape, not too sure about the collar..... Hmmmm....

No one should ever really see the collar. So then it just comes down to whether or not it is comfortable (which I would assume it is).

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the Somervilles were handgrade and lasts were "grade" specific, i.e., benchgrade and handgrade had their own lasts. IIRC, I think they're on the 363 last.
@Bayou Tiger wrote his pair was MTO, so he may have specified different last. The toe shape does look slightly different than standard Sommerville. I probably wouldn't have noticed the subtle difference if you hadn't commented. 363 appears slightly rounder.

Bayou Tiger

Reaction score
@Bayou Tiger wrote his pair was MTO, so he may have specified different last. The toe shape does look slightly different than standard Sommerville. I probably wouldn't have noticed the subtle difference if you hadn't commented. 363 appears slightly rounder.

Correct, 341 was an MTO selection (personal preference)

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Correct, 341 was an MTO selection (personal preference)
Gorgeous boots btw. Addition of speedhooks is a minor but really nice touch IMO

I've become a fan of balmoral boots recently and gone a little overboard and added 3 to my shoe closet. I considered the Charlton, but preferred a slightly taller boot. Would've bough a pair of Sommerville if I'd found a pair in my size.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah, got it. Missed that.

Bayou Tiger

Reaction score
Gorgeous boots btw. Addition of speedhooks is a minor but really nice touch IMO

I've become a fan of balmoral boots recently and gone a little overboard and added 3 to my shoe closet. I considered the Charlton, but preferred a slightly taller boot. Would've bough a pair of Sommerville if I'd found a pair in my size.
Thanks. It started off as making sure I can wear boots for any formal occasion (black oxford) while still fitting my personal style (341, balmoral) and functionality (city sole, speed hooks).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads