• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

smuj

Reaction score
Morning all. May I garner some opinion.

I recently got rid of some very old Snowdon's and now need a new a new pair. As I have seen here before, I am not as impressed with the current wax hide as compared to the leather on my old boots (much looser grain, wrinkly and lighter colour). It changed in 2017 and not to my liking. Anyway, I am going to get an MTO with an alternate leather.

I have been speaking with Pernilla. Zug is an option but never as comfortable as other leathers in my opinion. Also there is an oily/waxy waterproof Nubuck but am not a big fan of nubuck. So, to stay weatherproof, this limits me to the Hurricane leather as can be found on the Ross. Does anyone here have Ross boots (or any other make up with Hurricane leather) that can share their experience of the leather??

I actually like the look of the Ross boot. Maybe I should save about £400 and just but a pair of those. My primary reason for buying Snowdon is my faith in the veldt welt for walking through wet grass and the odd shallow stream. Am I being old fashioned in my belief that only a veldt welt is up to the job? Would a modern storm welt (as on the Ross) do an equivalent job?? Do storm welts leak if pushed??

I would be very grateful for anyone's experience in this area. An MTO for me is a significant investment for me and I would like to get it right. Many thanks in advance.

[Cordo Galways look amazing btw. I have the Lindricks and would like some Galway's also]

Braid

Reaction score
Morning all. May I garner some opinion.

I recently got rid of some very old Snowdon's and now need a new a new pair. As I have seen here before, I am not as impressed with the current wax hide as compared to the leather on my old boots (much looser grain, wrinkly and lighter colour). It changed in 2017 and not to my liking. Anyway, I am going to get an MTO with an alternate leather.

I have been speaking with Pernilla. Zug is an option but never as comfortable as other leathers in my opinion. Also there is an oily/waxy waterproof Nubuck but am not a big fan of nubuck. So, to stay weatherproof, this limits me to the Hurricane leather as can be found on the Ross. Does anyone here have Ross boots (or any other make up with Hurricane leather) that can share their experience of the leather??

I actually like the look of the Ross boot. Maybe I should save about £400 and just but a pair of those. My primary reason for buying Snowdon is my faith in the veldt welt for walking through wet grass and the odd shallow stream. Am I being old fashioned in my belief that only a veldt welt is up to the job? Would a modern storm welt (as on the Ross) do an equivalent job?? Do storm welts leak if pushed??

I would be very grateful for anyone's experience in this area. An MTO for me is a significant investment for me and I would like to get it right. Many thanks in advance.

[Cordo Galways look amazing btw. I have the Lindricks and would like some Galway's also]
I used the Galway/Skye with normal stormwelt under heavy rain, wet grass, mud etc.. and never experienced any leaking. Never tried stuff like crossing shallow streams so not sure if stormwelt would be enough in this case.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basil and I prepped as many as we could for shipping yesterday, the few we did not get done yesterday will go on Thursday when we are next in. Due to our landlord/lockdown we only have access to the shop twice a week at the moment.

CUkZyfl.jpg
Look at that. That’s just sexual.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used the Galway/Skye with normal stormwelt under heavy rain, wet grass, mud etc.. and never experienced any leaking. Never tried stuff like crossing shallow streams so not sure if stormwelt would be enough in this case.

+1

in all fairness even the Snowdons are not meant to be submerged. For crossing streams get goretex. For wet grass and the odd puddle a stormwelt should be fine.

smuj

Reaction score
+1

in all fairness even the Snowdons are not meant to be submerged. For crossing streams get goretex. For wet grass and the odd puddle a stormwelt should be fine.
Hi Crat.
No intention to go wading in them, it's just when there is a stream or run-off crossing my path and I need to dash through it. Happens often and was always fine in the old boots until the toecap stitching starting to leak. The welt was fine.

(Ironically, I have Gore-tex and Gore-tex lined boots and they leak. I have found Gore-tex is great for a while and then it starts to let the water in. Same for my coats (but I have 10 year old Simms waders that still don't leak!))

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if these C&J Harrogates are too formal for Selvidge denim. Well I am trying it today because the snow has melted and I wanted to wear something other than my beloved boots.
View attachment 1567225
Definitely not, looks like they go together. Especially since it appears they are on a grained leather with stormwelt

FibroblastsMakeLeather

Reaction score
Definitely not, looks like they go together. Especially since it appears they are on a grained leather with stormwelt
I disagree. They look great individually, but something seems off when worn together.
I'd maybe let the pants rest more on the shoes, but those shoes are super casual the way they are made up

walking around in them today makes me reconsider. I am lowering the denim roll by one but it still doesn't feel like a cohesive trouser/shoe combination. Perhaps one of my 'mistakes'. Was just excited about not needing to wear boots.
20210304_112920.jpg

Last edited:

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
walking around in them today makes me reconsider. I am lowering the denim roll by one but it still doesn't feel like a cohesive trouser/shoe combination. Perhaps one of my 'mistakes'. Was just excited about not needing to wear boots. View attachment 1567278
I personally like it, but to each their own. Not sure what you have on up top, but here are some pics I quickly searched.

1614886830155.png

1614886893446.png

Braid

Reaction score

FibroblastsMakeLeather

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads