• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New Boots today - C&J Radnor 4 - Bakers Russian Grain. Absolutely amazing leather!

2BD09D38-7EA5-404E-A1BF-1D763FB78187.jpeg
3AF2EE73-360A-4D94-BFF3-328AE8F56D29.jpeg
BC5A49E7-EF56-46D1-A70A-E70224D228B4.jpeg

op131

Reaction score
^How are the laces holding up? My right one snapped on the first wear, and the left one got shredded on the second. Luckily I had a thick AFPOS pair in tan handy!

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes I read that everywhere, that Pael & co are on US sizes, that's why I took the "risk" to take this pair, but there the marking on the box and in the shoe in 9.5 E is in UK size !!!?
I don't see where they are marked UK size in any of your pictures. I think you're assuming it is because it is an E width, but could they not be U.S. 9.5E? That seems like it would make more sense.

If you're usually a 8.5 or 9 UK usually and these are UK9.5E these should be too big for you.

leparrain7

Reaction score
I don't see where they are marked UK size in any of your pictures. I think you're assuming it is because it is an E width, but could they not be U.S. 9.5E? That seems like it would make more sense.

If you're usually a 8.5 or 9 UK usually and these are UK9.5E these should be too big for you.
this is exactly it, it is only the width E which makes me think it is a UK size and not a US size, because the standard US width is D, but you are right, it is simply an E US width ???

shrink1061

Reaction score
Peal & Co. PTB. Up to 4 pairs of C&J shoes. Love 'em! View attachment 1563207

having gone up and down the shoe brand ladder from loake to gaziano, I still think C&J offer unique value in terms of quality of material. I have more Crockett than I do anything else (and I’m including Crocketts masquerading as George Cleverleys). I must have 9-10 pairs by now.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must say I was surprised to see Crockett&Jones winning the best shoe factory-award in Permanent Style's reader votes this year. They've always had a high, steady quality level and I've never handled a poor pair from them. It's just that there's nothing particularly special about the designs, finishing, or lasts when compared to EG or G&G or other big names. Likely C&J has just reached an optimal combination of price and quality and durability.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must say I was surprised to see Crockett&Jones winning the best shoe factory-award in Permanent Style's reader votes this year. They've always had a high, steady quality level and I've never handled a poor pair from them. It's just that there's nothing particularly special about the designs, finishing, or lasts when compared to EG or G&G or other big names. Likely C&J has just reached an optimal combination of price and quality and durability.
Is there that much of a difference between say a C&J versus an Edward Green in your estimation? Enough to make one say three times the price of the other?

I'm just curious because personally I have found plenty to like in both catalogues but I wonder what quantifiable differences the pricing variation justifies in this case.

I guess more narrowly, 'liking' a design is purely a subjective assessment but how do we as consumers objectively differentiate?

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I think you must also look at volume. For all we see EG on here and Insta the volume produced relative to a C and J will be minuscule. I think the likes of C and J have hit the holy trinity of value, quality and style perfectly. That said I like most of the British makers of repute.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads