• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

giuseppe

Reaction score
Hi. Pembroke.
IMG_20210122_102940.jpg

Kivi D

Reaction score
They're on Dainites, but there is nothing under the tongue..

I'm sort of wondering whether it's an actual scratch/repair or rather a natural scar on the hide? I can't feel the bit underneath with my fingers as it's at the same level of the insole in the internal side of the boot, right above the welt.

Here's how it look more in the context of the whole shoe.

I actually just received a pair from CJ’s New York store and I wasn’t expecting to get a damaged shoe either. Granted it’s their discontinued/sample sale, but I was expecting blemishes that could be corrected but the pair I got has tears, scratches and discolorations. I’m extremely disappointed especially because of the price point these shoes are at. You would expect some standard of QC.

56913E80-F192-41CF-B5BD-29A275278759.jpeg
46D83389-BF49-4174-A0C2-874242E9FAA5.jpeg
260FCB28-59B0-4E64-874A-837A21458CE6.jpeg
A7AEC3F0-3756-45C5-836C-73EC7F63A309.jpeg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Has CJ sales always been first but just sample or discounted model or it has always been a mix of 2nd as well?

Carson

Reaction score
The majority of the C&J styles are offered in a standard UK ‘E’ fitting and sizing can slightly vary between last shapes. They do, however, carry a selection of styles in wide (F and G) or narrow fittings (B and C). Seems to me that they made a MTO Islay in an F for your stockiest.
Robertson?

"Harry is made using the same upper pattern as the Islay boot, but is made using a more generous country type last. Harry is built on 228 last in an F width fitting."
Aha, I see, so what you're implying is that the 228 is often seen in an E width but for this special makeup, they used the 228 in a wider F fitting, which would make it more functionally generous that than a standard Islay.

Braid

Reaction score
Has CJ sales always been first but just sample or discounted model or it has always been a mix of 2nd as well?
Usually during sales they sell discontinued lines (as firsts) and handgrade models (not discontinued) as subs / seconds

Von Knauzenstein

Reaction score
Aha, I see, so what you're implying is that the 228 is often seen in an E width but for this special makeup, they used the 228 in a wider F fitting, which would make it more functionally generous that than a standard Islay.
Yes, I didn't see a 228 in a F fitting before.

But I wonder if Islay in 365 E fitting will be wider or narrower than on a 228 in F fitting. Best is to try out at the same time. For me the Coniston 325 is a tad narrower than Snowdon/Veldtschoenon 228 but the Radnor on the same 228 last in different (soft calf) leather and Goodyear-welted has more room. The 335 is wider then the 228 and the 365 is the widest. But everybody has different shape feet.

Braid

Reaction score
I actually just received a pair from CJ’s New York store and I wasn’t expecting to get a damaged shoe either. Granted it’s their discontinued/sample sale, but I was expecting blemishes that could be corrected but the pair I got has tears, scratches and discolorations. I’m extremely disappointed especially because of the price point these shoes are at. You would expect some standard of QC.

View attachment 1541209 View attachment 1541210 View attachment 1541211 View attachment 1541212
Worth to check if these are seconds, it should be marked under the tongue (if rubber sole) or under the sole.

Carson

Reaction score
Yes, I didn't see a 228 in a F fitting before.

But I wonder if Islay in 365 E fitting will be wider or narrower than on a 228 in F fitting. Best is to try out at the same time. For me the Coniston 325 is a tad narrower than Snowdon/Veldtschoenon 228 but the Radnor on the same 228 last in different (soft calf) leather and Goodyear-welted has more room. The 335 is wider then the 228 and the 365 is the widest. But everybody has different shape feet.
Yeah, I ordered a Skye 3 a few weeks ago and the 335 was too narrow, pinching my little toe so that didn't work. The same size - 8.5 - on an Islay is just barely acceptable. I was hoping this "Harry" would be a little bit wider!

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I ordered a Skye 3 a few weeks ago and the 335 was too narrow, pinching my little toe so that didn't work. The same size - 8.5 - on an Islay is just barely acceptable. I was hoping this "Harry" would be a little bit wider!
Have you considered having your little toes removed?
?

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
335 is one of the most generous fitting last. Maybe size up to eliminate the pinching toe issue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads