• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Do you know if the sizes are listed in UK or US?

UK. At least for the pair of C&J I ordered in 2017. I ordered some Tricker’s before that but they explicitly specified UK.

Lvo

Reaction score
Hey guys - how does the 228 last differ from the 365? I've found a stockist that has an Islay built on a 228 last, and I'm trying to get a sense of whether this would be a more generous fitting than the typical Islay since I have a wider forefoot. Thanks in advance.
I do not have any shoes on the 365, but I have some on the 325 (generally known to have less toe space compared to the 365). In my experience the 228 fits even more snug than the 325. Hope this helps.

Von Knauzenstein

Reaction score
Hey guys - how does the 228 last differ from the 365? I've found a stockist that has an Islay built on a 228 last, and I'm trying to get a sense of whether this would be a more generous fitting than the typical Islay since I have a wider forefoot. Thanks in advance.

Hi Carson,
Here is a link to C&J https://www.crockettandjones.com/last-guide/

I have a pair of Snowdon and Radnor in 228 and a pair of Islay in 365.
The Islay has a more generous fitting and i need thicker socks to wear them.

Carson

Reaction score
Hi Carson,
Here is a link to C&J https://www.crockettandjones.com/last-guide/

I have a pair of Snowdon and Radnor in 228 and a pair of Islay in 365.
The Islay has a more generous fitting and i need thicker socks to wear them.
Thank you and also to @Lvo. It's odd that this stockist suggests that their 228 version of the Islay (which they call the "Harry") is a more generous fit than the standard Islay, whereas it seems that the 365 is a more generous last than the 228. I've seen C&J's last page which is why i was confused as to the contradiction between what the stockist was saying vs C&J. Sounds like the regular Islay would be better for someone with a wider forefoot.

khughes44

Reaction score
Another new one from Peal & Co.
5ECDB7B8-B65C-4749-86F4-606A49DD2C8B.jpeg

NickZar

Reaction score
Hi there, got a pair of Tetbury boots on eBay new for £280, but when they arrived I noticed this fairly big scratch on the left one, near the ball of the foot. They were advertised as new and not factory seconds.

Is this going to turn into a problem in the longer term?

Attachments

• 139731844_10160594043374951_8784238599850902044_o.jpg
    139731844_10160594043374951_8784238599850902044_o.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Von Knauzenstein

Reaction score
Thank you and also to @Lvo. It's odd that this stockist suggests that their 228 version of the Islay (which they call the "Harry") is a more generous fit than the standard Islay, whereas it seems that the 365 is a more generous last than the 228. I've seen C&J's last page which is why i was confused as to the contradiction between what the stockist was saying vs C&J. Sounds like the regular Islay would be better for someone with a wider forefoot.

The majority of the C&J styles are offered in a standard UK ‘E’ fitting and sizing can slightly vary between last shapes. They do, however, carry a selection of styles in wide (F and G) or narrow fittings (B and C). Seems to me that they made a MTO Islay in an F for your stockiest.
Robertson?

"Harry is made using the same upper pattern as the Islay boot, but is made using a more generous country type last. Harry is built on 228 last in an F width fitting."

Braid

Reaction score
Hi there, got a pair of Tetbury boots on eBay new for £280, but when they arrived I noticed this fairly big scratch on the left one, near the ball of the foot. They were advertised as new and not factory seconds.

Is this going to turn into a problem in the longer term?
The price would be good even for a second, so I guess they are seconds. According to CJ all seconds are of sound construction so it shouldn't give you any problem in the long run.

NickZar

Reaction score
The price would be good even for a second, so I guess they are seconds. According to CJ all seconds are of sound construction so it shouldn't give you any problem in the long run.

Thanks. Problem is, I'm not sure it's a second or just plain defective. I just don't want that to turn into a crack in a few years.

Has anybody had any experience with this sort of imperfections on the leather?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The majority of the C&J styles are offered in a standard UK ‘E’ fitting and sizing can slightly vary between last shapes. They do, however, carry a selection of styles in wide (F and G) or narrow fittings (B and C). Seems to me that they made a MTO Islay in an F for your stockiest.
Robertson?

"Harry is made using the same upper pattern as the Islay boot, but is made using a more generous country type last. Harry is built on 228 last in an F width fitting."

that's an interesting retailer, are they CJ country shoe exclusively, looks like lots of on 228 F width which is not something CJ themselves offered, some might be good alternative to CJ Pembroke to (325 doesn't work well for me, toebox issue)

Braid

Reaction score
Thanks. Problem is, I'm not sure it's a second or just plain defective. I just don't want that to turn into a crack in a few years.

Usually seconds are marked in some way. If the shoes have leather soles they imprint a mark on the outsole, if dainite/rubber with a R stamped/printed in red under the tongue.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

Yes, I had a pair of AE seconds that had a similar defect/repair at the heel. While the repair held for the period of time that I had them, it always worried me that it would split. For $380 USD, I would not keep that pair of shoes, personally.

NickZar

Reaction score
Usually seconds are marked in some way. If the shoes have leather soles they imprint a mark on the outsole, if dainite/rubber with a R stamped/printed in red under the tongue.

They're on Dainites, but there is nothing under the tongue..

Yes, I had a pair of AE seconds that had a similar defect/repair at the heel. While the repair held for the period of time that I had them, it always worried me that it would split. For $380 USD, I would not keep that pair of shoes, personally.

I'm sort of wondering whether it's an actual scratch/repair or rather a natural scar on the hide? I can't feel the bit underneath with my fingers as it's at the same level of the insole in the internal side of the boot, right above the welt.

Here's how it look more in the context of the whole shoe.

Attachments

• tempImagezEqjK9.png
    tempImagezEqjK9.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 109

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
They're on Dainites, but there is nothing under the tongue..

I'm sort of wondering whether it's an actual scratch/repair or rather a natural scar on the hide? I can't feel the bit underneath with my fingers as it's at the same level of the insole in the internal side of the boot, right above the welt.

Here's how it look more in the context of the whole shoe.

I don't think it's a natural scar. It looks like a crack that was repaired.

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If this was not disclosed when sold I would definitely return them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads