• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So Im curious now, never having been in Europe for more than 6 weeks at a time.

Do you guys not have minimums under which you can bring in goods duty free?

I would say the easy way is have them shipped back to US, also claiming at airport doesn't get you the full VAT back, the guys at airport take some cut for the "paper work".

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@clee1982 do you mean there is some absurd bureaucratic fee, or that rhe airport guys are corrupt?

I'm not actually trying to do it. I import stuff to US from Japan, EU, and UK all the time and its really easy. Occasionally have to pay a DHL fee if I go over $800, but whatever.

Its absurd your duty free max is 18 pounds. What a joke.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
B8ED5FBA-2C1B-4F96-8971-1C895A3881FE.jpeg

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
@clee1982 do you mean there is some absurd bureaucratic fee, or that rhe airport guys are corrupt?

I'm not actually trying to do it. I import stuff to US from Japan, EU, and UK all the time and its really easy. Occasionally have to pay a DHL fee if I go over $800, but whatever.

Brexit was basically a complete fcuk up and they haven’t had a plan, coupled with a pandemic as a backdrop and a brewing economic tsunami...
Our import regs have always been insane. I never imported from outside EU because if it but now we are definitely going to become ‘little islanders’!

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brexit was basically a complete fcuk up and they haven’t had a plan, coupled with a pandemic as a backdrop and a brewing economic tsunami...
Our import regs have always been insane. I never imported from outside EU because if it but now we are definitely going to become ‘little islanders’!

Without getting into politics, and lacking a crystal ball, I think long run you guys could come out just fine from it all.

In the end London is London, and Anglophiles abound everywhere. English cultural heritage is strong. Hell, my family left Kent for the states almost 400 years ago and in many ways (though not all) I prefer English culture to my own.

Its not like Switzerland and Norway are backwaters.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without getting into politics, and lacking a crystal ball, I think long run you guys could come out just fine from it all.

In the end London is London, and Anglophiles abound everywhere. English cultural heritage is strong. Hell, my family left Kent for the states almost 400 years ago and in many ways (though not all) I prefer English culture to my own.

Again, without getting into politics, we probably will be ok in a few years, but it is a pointless mess until then.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score

I’m on the back nine of my working life and truth be told what I do bears no relevance to the EU. As long as C and J and Trickers keep chugging I’ll be fine! ??

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

there are some bureaucratic fee, part of the processing fee and you can't get around that, it's in every airport, I don't know if the cut is the same in every country though (i.e. relative to full VAT refund, do you get a better deal from France or Italy etc.).

So no, not talking about corruption.

edit: that's what I mean by just mail it, I mean if you ask every store to mail it, you're not likely to exceed $800. For example one pair of CJ, then a pair of AS, a pair of Tricker, all mailed from their own store would be 3 separate mailing and each should all be under $800.

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you check Buy and Sell there are often C+Js there.

Selling on SF from threads directly is against forum rules (I think).

Carson

Reaction score
Hey guys - how does the 228 last differ from the 365? I've found a stockist that has an Islay built on a 228 last, and I'm trying to get a sense of whether this would be a more generous fitting than the typical Islay since I have a wider forefoot. Thanks in advance.

SRV

Reaction score
Hi,

Any experiences purchasing C&J shoes from Silver Deer store? I was planning to order some sale shoes from them (shipping to US).

Thanks in advance.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hi,

Any experiences purchasing C&J shoes from Silver Deer store? I was planning to order some sale shoes from them (shipping to US).

Thanks in advance.
I’ve ordered from them a couple times. No problems.

Reactions: SRV

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads