• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

vnguyen_md

Reaction score
Sizing Question:

My previous welted shoes have been largely American sizing (Started with Allen Edmonds and now largely Alden) - What is meaning behind the 2 sizes that are on UK shoes? Like EG has sizing written as UK8/8.5 - Is this to indicate the UK size is 8 and US size is 8.5?

vnguyen_md

Reaction score
CJ website shows the sizing guide as an UK8 is equal to a US8.5, but my friends said its usually a full size difference so I am not sure which is correct. What is the general consensus?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sizing Question:

My previous welted shoes have been largely American sizing (Started with Allen Edmonds and now largely Alden) - What is meaning behind the 2 sizes that are on UK shoes? Like EG has sizing written as UK8/8.5 - Is this to indicate the UK size is 8 and US size is 8.5?
I've only seen 2 sizes on EG shoes and the consensus is that it's a UK and US size. CJ and GG both show one size, but GG is sized more like EG (0.5 sizes from US to UK) and CJ one size down (similar to a brand like Carmina)

vnguyen_md

Reaction score
I am an 8.5E TTS and that is what I take with Alden Grant/Hampton - I was thinking for CJ Coniston I would need 7.5F, but I took 8UK and it its near identical to my 8.5E Grant in length and width. Good fit even though I went down .5 size

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would follow the 1 size difference rule for CJ for most lasts
+1 on this generally speaking. May vary with different widths etc. Some of the lasts are more forgiving than others.

vnguyen_md

Reaction score
+1 on this generally speaking. May vary with different widths etc. Some of the lasts are more forgiving than others.

I'll try 1 full size down if I can find an F fitting next time, otherwise because I am a wide width, going down .5 size worked out ok for me

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am an 8.5E TTS and that is what I take with Alden Grant/Hampton - I was thinking for CJ Coniston I would need 7.5F, but I took 8UK and it its near identical to my 8.5E Grant in length and width. Good fit even though I went down .5 size
Did you take 8E or 8F? The 325 last is going to have more volume overall (instep and toe box) and if I recall the Grant last has a higher instep as well

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll try 1 full size down if I can find an F fitting next time
Keep in mind the lasts all have different sizing features with some being wider and some being more narrow. If I recall 325 is the widest and I know I've seen people who are US E width get away with a CJ E width on the 325.

vnguyen_md

Reaction score
Did you take 8E or 8F? The 325 last is going to have more volume overall (instep and toe box) and if I recall the Grant last has a higher instep as well

I took UK8 - E Fitting with my Conistons

They are damn near identical to 8.5E Grant ( here they are on their side lined up heel to toe )
IMG_1030(1).JPEG

IMG_1027(1).JPEG

oskrusa

Reaction score

vnguyen_md

Reaction score
FWIW, I follow the same approach that you referred to. I cannot go a full size down on CJ due to having a wider forefoot.

Thanks. Needed to hear that because I was thinking if I went down 1 full size without an F/G fitting it would be too tight. Glad I'm not the only one who went down .5 in size

oskrusa

Reaction score
Thanks. Needed to hear that because I was thinking if I went down 1 full size without an F/G fitting it would be too tight. Glad I'm not the only one who went down .5 in size

TBH, it might be better to go down a full size and then up in width to an F/G fitting, but that reduces your buying opportunities by several orders of magnitude.

I personally think that it's worth sacrificing the ideal length/width ratio by going down just half a size on standard width, which in turn opens up dozens of buying options that you wouldn't have otherwise.

vnguyen_md

Reaction score
TBH, it might be better to go down a full size and then up in width to an F/G fitting, but that reduces your buying opportunities by several orders of magnitude.

I personally think that it's worth sacrificing the ideal length/width ratio by going down just half a size on standard width, which in turn opens up dozens of buying options that you wouldn't have otherwise.

Agreed - Thanks for confirming what I was thinking!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads