• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I found 325 toebox has less volume than barrie

Mine reference is 9.5D US in general, 9D US in Barrie, 8.5 E UK in 325 (Canvdish, the tassel loafer) is narrower than barrie or just less volume or for whatever reason pinky toe rub uncomfortably

though 341 in 8.5E UK works

adrs1157

Reaction score
I wear 8D or even 8E in Barrie and I find my C&J 325 7.5E at least as roomy as the Alden D-width, maybe a touch more so.
With the provisos that taking sizing info over the internet is fraught with pitfalls.

I wear a US9E on Barrie, a 9D does not work, too tight. The 325 UK8 is too tight, the UK8.5 325 is a “good” fit just slightly long, the Barrie 9E on the other hand is a perfect fit for my foot, YMMV.
I was hesitating to jump on the bandwagon here since my experience is a bit limited. I don't have any barrie shoes but have tried both a 9.5D and a 9.5E. The 9.5D was too tight while the E was perfect. I have a pair of Pembrokes on the 325 in a UK9E and the fit is very good. I'd say 325 is similar to barrie half size up plus a width.
I found 325 toebox has less volume than barrie

Mine reference is 9.5D US in general, 9D US in Barrie, 8.5 E UK in 325 (Canvdish, the tassel loafer) is narrower than barrie or just less volume or for whatever reason pinky toe rub uncomfortably

though 341 in 8.5E UK works

Thanks for the info. I wear 8.5E in Barrie and the fit is good. 9D is too much volume in the heel and instep. 8.5D too snug in the toe box.

I figure a 8E UK in 325 will fit I'm just worried about the width. On the other hand 8.5E UK might end up being too much volume. I have low volume feet - narrow heel and lower instep - but wide at the ball.

My Islays fit great - they are size 8E UK but I wear them with thick socks and only during the winter months. My Barrie boots I wear with thin socks.

Really should have visited Leatherfoot here in Toronto while they were still around. No more C&J stockists here.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
by any chance, have you tried on a 9.5D barrie? I’m wondering if a 9E fits similarly to 9.5D in width, but shorter in length?
Yes, I own a few pairs of 9.5D Barrie, the fit is very similar. 9.5 is just a tad long, and width isn’t perfect but a “good”, not perfect fit like the 9E is. Again YMMV.

Tom Kyle

Reaction score
Did anyone see these two models "in the flesh"?

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anyone see these two models "in the flesh"?
Yes, I saw both of them in Paris last year. I believe you can still find them in CJ France collection.

I almost pulled the trigger on the double monks thinking I could get them outside France, but with no luck.

Last edited:

Tom Kyle

Reaction score
Yes, I saw both of them in Paris last year. I believe you can still find then in CJ France collection.

I almost pulled the trigger on the double monks thinking I could get them outside France, but with no luck.
Thanks for the quick reply. Sometimes C&J's model policy is a nuisance. I do not recall that they offered a classic HG Double Monk these ten yeary past. The exception may be Montpellier 2, but last 373 just does not fit my feet and I have not seen this model on display in a bricks-and-mortar store...

dratty

Reaction score
I purchased Ross boots last winter and I'm not happy with the fit. Can anyone recommend the best place to sell them? eBay? Also, what's a realistic list price for a pair of year old boots. They're immaculate- saphir, shoe trees etc.

Berto1

Reaction score
Amazing Westbourne chestnut

AA21D2B1-0023-498C-BDF0-5F719E3B74E2.jpeg

jayvee

Reaction score
I purchased Ross boots last winter and I'm not happy with the fit. Can anyone recommend the best place to sell them? eBay? Also, what's a realistic list price for a pair of year old boots. They're immaculate- saphir, shoe trees etc.
Your best bet is probably here on the forum or eBay as you say. I don’t know why you don’t like the fit but have you considered something like felt insoles?

Ken1036

Reaction score
Hi guys, forgive me if I'm asking a dumb question, but why did C&J discontinue the Galway II? It's gorgeous and wasn't it popular?

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, forgive me if I'm asking a dumb question, but why did C&J discontinue the Galway II? It's gorgeous and wasn't it popular?

Because sometimes otherwise excellent companies temporarily lose their mind?

Thank goodness I got mine when I did. I think the last pair Bodiley’s had happened to be my size. It is a great boot.

I supposed it didn’t sell as well. Why else would they drop it from the lineup?

TokenMao

Reaction score

Always helpful to keep in mind that for a lot of companies (especially the bigger ones) the SF crowd makes up only a fraction of their total customer base. They also discontinued the Radnor in Russian Grain which is an amazing boot as well...

Phoenician

Reaction score
Galway 2 is an incredible boot and much sought after. I bought two pair earlier this year and kept the size that fit better. That said, I have a brand new pair in box for sale in the buy-selling forum if anyone is interested

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads