• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Hurlazza4

Reaction score
How does it compares to 324?
Not all that long ago some wise heads put together this C&J last comparison. It is obviously not a comprehensive guide to all aspects of the lasts but it is at least a description of their widths. Hope it helps

From narrow to wide
238 < 324 < 317 < 348 < 240 < 330 < 337 < 341 < 236 < 318 < 360 < 325

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
nice! though I find the toe in 325 narrower than say 341, also even though 236 is not "narrow" it's shorter so end up "restive" in the toebox width sense

Rob H

Reaction score
Hello all,
I’ve been a long time lurker on this forum and felt I should contribute.

I’ve recently received two pairs of special order Crockett & Jones from Michael and his team at Burlington Arcade in London and I’m very pleased indeed.
They were ordered in January and February of this year but due to the lockdowns have taken a little longer than normal.
However it’s been well worth the wait and I was overjoyed to see the team in the shop again recently - all looking fit & well and in good humour as always.
I have high volume feet with high arches and have worn Church’s shoes for decades.
I wear a uniform for work so most of my own wardrobe is to wear on my days off.
I’d always had an appreciation of C&J but mistakenly had not considered them because upon cursory inspection noticed lots of E width models in their range which put me off before I understood their sizing.
I wasn’t aware of their special order service either.

I have a few tweed clothes from James Purdey, it’s always nice to have a wander around and browse their other things when I visit. Their boots always looked lovely but never fitted me when I tried them on.
I set about acquiring a pair that would tick all of the boxes.
I spent a couple of hours at Crockett & Jones and after walking the length of the Burlington Arcade shop many times in various shoes found that the suede Latimer in their 332 last fitted me perfectly.
I really liked the look of the dark brown scotch grain Coniston but after a lengthy conversation decided on the features that I wanted.
I’m not a fan of the toe cap or the fabric heel pull, I prefer a heavier duty leather pull. So the Eskdale II became the basis of my special order. I wanted dark brown scotch grain leather that I’d seen in Purdey, the 332 last and also a commando sole - in the past I’d taken Dainite on damp Yorkshire hillsides where I live and gravity was victorious on more than one occasion!

Most of the time on the hills I’ll wear Le Chameau Chasseur & Chasseur Heritage wellington boots but wanted something smart for dryer days that I could also wear casually too.

Once the boots were ordered I couldn’t resist also going for a special order pair of Alex with the same 332 last and also in dark brown scotch grain to complement the boots.
I’ve never been as comfortable in Oxfords as I am in a Derby, I think the shape of my feet dictates that. I’ve always loved the look of a wholecut but never found one that fits. This was an ideal opportunity to take the plunge.
Anyone that knows Yorkshire understands all about rain, I’ve always had leather soled shoes drying out in rotation during the English rainy season which I’m convinced runs from October to October. I went for the city sole on the Alex to enhance wet weather grip on city streets and I don’t have to worry as much about leather soles getting saturated.
They look great with tweed trousers on an evening after spending the day in my Eskdales out on the hills.
I was told it’s the only pair of dark brown scotch grain Alex that’s ever been made.

Pair number three are already in production and are a special order Weymouth II in black shell cordovan with the city sole for town use in less than perfect weather. I’ll post pictures of those when they arrive too.

Thank you for all of your contributions here, it’s been a great help to me.

DSC1980.jpg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know how old it is. It appears on their current website if you filter the men's collection by last.

looks like UK only, not available in US, don't really want to VPN to just see a last guide, CJ's website is kind annoying on that regard...

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I’ve been a long time lurker on this forum and felt I should contribute.

I’ve recently received two pairs of special order Crockett & Jones from Michael and his team at Burlington Arcade in London and I’m very pleased indeed.
They were ordered in January and February of this year but due to the lockdowns have taken a little longer than normal.
However it’s been well worth the wait and I was overjoyed to see the team in the shop again recently - all looking fit & well and in good humour as always.
I have high volume feet with high arches and have worn Church’s shoes for decades.
I wear a uniform for work so most of my own wardrobe is to wear on my days off.
I’d always had an appreciation of C&J but mistakenly had not considered them because upon cursory inspection noticed lots of E width models in their range which put me off before I understood their sizing.
I wasn’t aware of their special order service either.

I have a few tweed clothes from James Purdey, it’s always nice to have a wander around and browse their other things when I visit. Their boots always looked lovely but never fitted me when I tried them on.
I set about acquiring a pair that would tick all of the boxes.
I spent a couple of hours at Crockett & Jones and after walking the length of the Burlington Arcade shop many times in various shoes found that the suede Latimer in their 332 last fitted me perfectly.
I really liked the look of the dark brown scotch grain Coniston but after a lengthy conversation decided on the features that I wanted.
I’m not a fan of the toe cap or the fabric heel pull, I prefer a heavier duty leather pull. So the Eskdale II became the basis of my special order. I wanted dark brown scotch grain leather that I’d seen in Purdey, the 332 last and also a commando sole - in the past I’d taken Dainite on damp Yorkshire hillsides where I live and gravity was victorious on more than one occasion!

Most of the time on the hills I’ll wear Le Chameau Chasseur & Chasseur Heritage wellington boots but wanted something smart for dryer days that I could also wear casually too.

Once the boots were ordered I couldn’t resist also going for a special order pair of Alex with the same 332 last and also in dark brown scotch grain to complement the boots.
I’ve never been as comfortable in Oxfords as I am in a Derby, I think the shape of my feet dictates that. I’ve always loved the look of a wholecut but never found one that fits. This was an ideal opportunity to take the plunge.
Anyone that knows Yorkshire understands all about rain, I’ve always had leather soled shoes drying out in rotation during the English rainy season which I’m convinced runs from October to October. I went for the city sole on the Alex to enhance wet weather grip on city streets and I don’t have to worry as much about leather soles getting saturated.
They look great with tweed trousers on an evening after spending the day in my Eskdales out on the hills.
I was told it’s the only pair of dark brown scotch grain Alex that’s ever been made.

Pair number three are already in production and are a special order Weymouth II in black shell cordovan with the city sole for town use in less than perfect weather. I’ll post pictures of those when they arrive too.

Thank you for all of your contributions here, it’s been a great help to me.

View attachment 1480715

I really like both of those. The boot especially but those wholecut oxfords are really unusual and I think that works. Sounds like they will suit your lifestyle well.

CWL317

Reaction score
My Pembrokes have returned from factory recraft after about 7 weeks. They are about 7-8 years old and has aged well... it’s like getting an old friend back... :)

C9A39CD4-EA42-4ACA-BDAB-E3C06C5E1852.jpeg

They’ve done a great job, the storm welt has been replaced and the ends joined to perfection, you can hardly see the seam...

44C00FB5-9FEB-4476-ABA6-9DDB011D9845.jpeg

The laces provided however are different, they are light brown braided non-wax laces as above... compare to this old picture I took of the shoes when new, the original laces were dark brown waxed...

23A738ED-2B81-47CA-A5C1-F879D5ADA575.jpeg

CWL317

Reaction score
Btw you might notice that the peaking of the broguing at the toecap is blunt in the right shoe. I don’t mind and it’s a way of identifying my shoes. In my experience benchgrade C&J will have minor asymmetry or imperfections.

Braid

Reaction score
My Pembrokes have returned from factory recraft after about 7 weeks. They are about 7-8 years old and has aged well... it’s like getting an old friend back... :)

View attachment 1480823

They’ve done a great job, the storm welt has been replaced and the ends joined to perfection, you can hardly see the seam...

View attachment 1480824

The laces provided however are different, they are light brown braided non-wax laces as above... compare to this old picture I took of the shoes when new, the original laces were dark brown waxed...

View attachment 1480826
Thanks for sharing, always interesting to see old pairs being recrafted. Nowadays all Pembroke/Coniston/Grasmere come with the tan non waxed laces, was it your choice to have the dark brown one?

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone knows how much is to replace HG leather soles in the CJ factory nowadays?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads