• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

CWL317

Reaction score
Thanks Braid :) Your shoes are fantastic.

I also have the Pembroke in scotch grain tan but they went for factory refurb last month with expected turnaround of November. Which is kind of why I have been on a shoe buying splurge lately.

anyway the right shoe of my westgates are slightly creased in the side leather and an expert forum member here opined that the leather was “particularly poor quality” but it was to be expected of factory RTW shoes. Which is fair enough I suppose.

CWL317

Reaction score
Btw Braid I really like the shade of your Pembrokes... what cream / polish do you use? I’m thinking of using Cognac when I get them back.

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Braid :) Your shoes are fantastic.

I also have the Pembroke in scotch grain tan but they went for factory refurb last month with expected turnaround of November. Which is kind of why I have been on a shoe buying splurge lately.

anyway the right shoe of my westgates are slightly creased in the side leather and an expert forum member here opined that the leather was “particularly poor quality” but it was to be expected of factory RTW shoes. Which is fair enough I suppose.
No, he said that particular part is of poorer quality. It is common that rtw makers tend to use poorer parts of leather at places where you can barely notice.

CWL317

Reaction score
No, he said that particular part is of poorer quality. It is common that rtw makers tend to use poorer parts of leather at places where you can barely notice.

It’s kind of why I subsequently decided to get the Audley handgrade as it is supposed to use better leather all round. Also I have ordered a pair of Edward Green Malvern brogue on MTO expected November. It will be interesting to compare the leather quality.

My Pembrokes also has marks on the leather, which I quite like as part of its charm... I guess brogues were originally meant to be for rough and tough use, not dress shoes... ?

Braid

Reaction score
Btw Braid I really like the shade of your Pembrokes... what cream / polish do you use? I’m thinking of using Cognac when I get them back.
I indeed use the saphir cognac cream and a touch of dark brown wax for a soft shine on the toe box.

Would love to see how your Pembroke looks like after factory refurbishment.

CWL317

Reaction score
I indeed use the saphir cognac cream and a touch of dark brown wax for a soft shine on the toe box.

Would love to see how your Pembroke looks like after factory refurbishment.

thanks Braid I will post it when it comes back. It is the first time I’ve sent it in for refurb so I’m interested too in the outcome. It was £135 for the Pembroke which is slightly more expensive due to the storm welt double sole.

Braid

Reaction score
thanks Braid I will post it when it comes back. It is the first time I’ve sent it in for refurb so I’m interested too in the outcome. It was £135 for the Pembroke which is slightly more expensive due to the storm welt double sole.
Btw i saw the picture of the side of your shoe. I agree it seems that that particolar part is of poorer quality compared to the average CJ shoes. If you haven't worn them you ask for a replacement, when noticed even very minor cosmetic issue in the jermyn Street shop I always asked to see another pair.

Regarding the usual rant against factory made rtw shoes that is simply a false and malicious claim when talking about CJ. I have been in the factory and they do discard the part of the hide that is poorer quality and if by mistake the shoes once done present some minor leather or cosmetic issues these are sold as factory seconds at half the retail price in the factory shop. Even in the factory shop if you know what to look for you can find shoes that are almost perfect (my Pembroke are seconds btw, and indeed they look like firsts). This is an indication of how strict their qc usually is.

In your case they probably missed the minor cosmetic issue and ended up in the shop.

If you already wore them do not be concerned, these are beautiful shoes and the "issue" is in a place very well hidden that no one is ever going to see.

CWL317

Reaction score
Btw i saw the picture of the side of your shoe. I agree it seems that that particolar part is of poorer quality compared to the average CJ shoes. If you haven't worn them you ask for a replacement, when noticed even very minor cosmetic issue in the jermyn Street shop I always asked to see another pair.

Regarding the usual rant against factory made rtw shoes that is simply a false and malicious claim when talking about CJ. I have been in the factory and they do discard the part of the hide that is poorer quality and if by mistake the shoes once done present some minor leather or cosmetic issues these are sold as factory seconds at half the retail price in the factory shop. Even in the factory shop if you know what to look for you can find shoes that are almost perfect (my Pembroke are seconds btw, and indeed they look like firsts). This is an indication of how strict their qc usually is.

In your case they probably missed the minor cosmetic issue and ended up in the shop.

If you already wore them do not be concerned, these are beautiful shoes and the "issue" is in a place very well hidden that no one is ever going to see.
Thanks Braid that’s really helpful of you. I did wonder whether it missed quality control. I noticed it when I was burnishing up the shoes by which time it was too late as i already had applied polish even though they are still unworn... although I think I have improved on it with the burnishing!

I should have inspected them more closely in the store but I was just so happy with the purchase I simply assumed that given Crockett & Jones‘ reputation they would be absolutely fine.

Anyway lesson learned... I’m going to give the Edward Green brogue a good inspection when I collect them. They are more than twice the cost of the Crocketts, so I would be disappointed if they also show lower grade leather, although they are RTW so I suppose I should expect some quality issues with Edward Green too... just hope I won’t be too disappointed ?

CWL317

Reaction score
I’ve messaged Crockett & Jones with the pictures to see what they say. I just want to make sure it is not ‘loose grain’. I’ll report back with their answer. One nice thing about C&J is their customer service is normally very good.

fernando526

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I apologize for any redundancy as I have posted this in the Crockett & Jones MTO Central thread, but I figured I’d reach out to the folks here in case that they have not have heard about the Galway 2 in Dark Brown Cordovan GMTO! Please read the message below:

It looks like the Dark Brown Cordovan Galway boots are going into production very soon and at MSRP price (12-pair order: MTO fees waived)!

I have received confirmation from the C&J Store at 69 Jermyn Street, that between the Styleforum GMTO list and the customers that called in the store directly, we have a total of 11 people participating in this group order. All we need is one more person to get the order processed at MSRP or approximately £850 / ExVat £708.31 ($902.74 USD at today’s exchange rate).

If you were previously on the fence about this boot, don't miss out! If you’re interested, please contact me or email/call the 69 Jermyn Street store directly. Ask to speak to either manager Basil or Chris.

Another important note: Dainite soles have been the overwhelming demand by the majority, so we will be going with Dainite ?

Thank you for your time, and I really hope one of you folks joins our Dark Brown Cordovan Galway II GMTO. Please remember, first come first served!

Best regards,
Fernando

CWL317

Reaction score
I’ve messaged Crockett & Jones with the pictures to see what they say. I just want to make sure it is not ‘loose grain’. I’ll report back with their answer. One nice thing about C&J is their customer service is normally very good.
Update: they replied saying that the leather is sound and will not fail, but “it looks like the clicker has push the quarter into a grow mark”. What does that mean? :embar:
They did say I can return & replace them via the Jermyn St store, but I am happy to keep them with that reassurance.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't believe anyone saying CJ benchgrade use poor quality leather. I have plenty of benchgrades and are all amazing, aging beautifully with minimal creasing, supple leather, rich colour and great patina.

Few pics for reference, these have all a couple of years of wear. Only the Pembroke are fairly new but already tested some very inclement weather condition during my trip in Scotland ?
View attachment 1466021
View attachment 1466022
View attachment 1466023
View attachment 1466033

Those Pembrokes are so nice!

While I agree that handgrade will be better I have found the leather on my benchgrade to be very good with minimal creasing.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! New to this forum, and found myself here when doing some research about C&J Chelseas. I am interested in placing an order for the Chelsea 11s because I like the combo of the grained leather and the commando sole which will be perfect for our winters here in Scandinavia. I was curious to know if anyone on here has first hand experience with the brown pair? Apologies if this question has been asked and answered many times prior. :)

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven’t worn these in a while:
7C386DB9-46AF-4090-91E4-EC3F9FF33317.jpeg
77F4D327-5AB6-4763-B083-B05EF9EDE630.jpeg

C30B294C-4D8A-49A9-8CA0-D0ABD3FB2705.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads