• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
B78A8FBF-3134-40C6-A75A-35192E6A2ACC.jpeg

CWL317

Reaction score
I am considering the dark brown Audley... would welcome opinions about it from existing owners. Does it come pre-burnished? And how does it compare to Connaught/Connaught2?
Ok since no one replied I’m replying to my own question lol...
So I drove to C&J in Birmingham to take a look for myself. Unfortunately they said they didn’t have the Audley in Dark Brown and neither did their other store there. However they had the Audley in Black and I asked for the Connaught to compared next to it. Superficially they look almost identical. I think I’ll go to London next week to take a look at the Dark Brown with a view to purchase.

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
Audley is from handgrade line, Connaught is from main line. Handgrade line has nicer leather, closed channel sole and nicer lasts. IMO get Audley. Not that benchgrade C&J are bad, but handgrade are just better shoes, especially because of leather quality - handgrade is noticeably better and the price difference is quite low.

Edmund K

Reaction score
Audley is from handgrade line, Connaught is from main line. Handgrade line has nicer leather, closed channel sole and nicer lasts. IMO get Audley. Not that benchgrade C&J are bad, but handgrade are just better shoes, especially because of leather quality - handgrade is noticeably better and the price difference is quite low.

Totally agree. Definitely go with handgrade if the styles are similar and it is worth spending that extra $ on a classic model like Audley. This is going to last you a long time.

CWL317

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Think I’ll get the Audley. I’d better go to London quick before they get closed by any second Covid lockdown!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like this boot so much, and I don’t have any explanation why. Maybe it’s because it fits so well, my foot really works in this last....Nope, I really liked it before I owned it, I dunno, I just really like it.
Haha thanks I agree with you :) it’s a fantastic boot. Fit is really good and the chestnut burnished color is very nice too.

Evergreen88

Reaction score
When is the winter collection coming out? I feel like it was at the beginning of September last year, I might be wrong though.

CWL317

Reaction score
Totally agree. Definitely go with handgrade if the styles are similar and it is worth spending that extra $ on a classic model like Audley. This is going to last you a long time.
Thanks for the consensus opinions. Well I bought the Audley today from C&J Royal Exchange. I had the chance to compare the Connaught & Connaught 2 which are very similar, in fact I preferred the slightly lighter brown of the Connaught. Royal Exchange is a small store and a little way out unless you work in banking, but they are friendly folk :)

The Audley is a very dark brown (almost black in artificial light indoors. Somewhat to my surprise there is very little visible burnishing or antiquing to it, as far as I can see. Maybe that’s a good thing as it might be better for it to naturally patina with wear. I cannot fault the leather and detailing. It’s more elongated at the toe compared to the Connaught. I’m going to give it a good burnishing polish before I wear it.

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the consensus opinions. Well I bought the Audley today from C&J Royal Exchange. I had the chance to compare the Connaught & Connaught 2 which are very similar, in fact I preferred the slightly lighter brown of the Connaught. Royal Exchange is a small store and a little way out unless you work in banking, but they are friendly folk :)

The Audley is a very dark brown (almost black in artificial light indoors. Somewhat to my surprise there is very little visible burnishing or antiquing to it, as far as I can see. Maybe that’s a good thing as it might be better for it to naturally patina with wear. I cannot fault the leather and detailing. It’s more elongated at the toe compared to the Connaught. I’m going to give it a good burnishing polish before I wear it.
can you provide us with side to side pictures of Audley and connaught?

CWL317

Reaction score
can you provide us with side to side pictures of Audley and connaught?
I compared them next to each other in the store. I didn’t take pictures (sorry). They are quite similar, except the Connaught is more rounded and the Audley is sleeker and more elongated with a chiseled toe. I also looked at the Hallam which is also chiseled , the assistant store manager said the Hallam is more chiseled than the Audley.

CWL317

Reaction score
Btw the assistant manager there wore a fine pair of black shoes, I asked him and he said it was the Balfour derby, which I see retails at £765. Nice!

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
Btw the assistant manager there wore a fine pair of black shoes, I asked him and he said it was the Balfour derby, which I see retails at £765. Nice!
I just ordered a pair of Balfour derbys in black today, from the C&J store in NY.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads