• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Evergreen88

Reaction score
I dunno maybe i'm being picky. This is just from the one shoe. Maybe try some leather creme on it and see how it looks?

If they were discounted I would be perfectly happy with them. It's nothing that can't be sorted out with some cream and a good brush

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Handgrade vs main questions
  1. Worth the extra expenditure?
  2. Lasts: grab your usual size? I'm a UK8.5E in 348 and 341

I have many pairs of handgrade C&J and a couple of pairs of mainline and I always make myself this question: why are people paying those prices for mainline C&J when for a little more the have a far superior product with the handgrade line?

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno maybe i'm being picky. This is just from the one shoe. Maybe try some leather creme on it and see how it looks?

These were ~50% off UK retail price (60%+ off US price) so I would gladly keep the pair. They'll crease the first day you wear them, so you won't notice long term. Everything else can be touched up. They look good to me!

TokenMao

Reaction score

Yeah probably a store display model / try on. As long as the sole isn't showing meaningful signs of wear (which might indicate a shoe worn around outside and returned which is a no no) and you got it at a discount I'd be okay with it.

Phoenician

Reaction score
Generally speaking, does the dark brown shell cordovan tend to patina well if you don't use shell creme? I would imagine it would lighten a bit as opposed to darken?

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking, does the dark brown shell cordovan tend to patina well if you don't use shell creme? I would imagine it would lighten a bit as opposed to darken?

I think it should lighten, if no products are used. Mine has quite a bit of colour variation from new which I like.

Not sure how much effect cordovan cream has on the colour. This will obviously depend on the colour of cream used

puffy

Reaction score
I have many pairs of handgrade C&J and a couple of pairs of mainline and I always make myself this question: why are people paying those prices for mainline C&J when for a little more the have a far superior product with the handgrade line?
Time to post a group photo?

ducatiti

Reaction score

Thanks for sharing. I'm expecting mine on Monday. At full price, I would probably complain. Do the soles looked untouched? I was expecting "handgrade" to have a much better leather selection but there seems to be aesthetic flaws right out of the box.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul Stuart X C&J shoes arrived. These are handgrade and are indeed UK size.

Loren Burgundy slip-on are really nice, fit like a glove and I think these are on the 337 last.
Not sure why the retail on these was $960 compared to Howie which was $775 but still a bargain for what I paid after additional 20% with coupon.

8B04940D-C67D-46FF-AD52-F9117B77FB97.jpeg

F6C6043F-1D65-4178-B7D5-AFB16296E54D.jpeg

D1370A85-21E2-4209-A446-F406FF04F568.jpeg

Howie are on the 337 last too and these are labeled as Clifford (Antique Tan).

EE47327D-F3AD-4BAF-9786-31C7570D9E0C.jpeg

E94A91DC-CF6A-4CC4-8141-549D04A5D7EB.jpeg

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 2 brown shell cordovan shoes and both have lightened over time. I actually like how they look over Color 8.

Have you used any care products or do you just brush and wipe them down?

I would be interested to know if the cordovan cream can be used to slightly counteract the lightening if required but I wouldn’t want any permanent darkening losing the character of the shell.

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
Well I also think that handragde is worth the money and better than main line however some designs (e.g. my favourite shoes of my entire shoe collection - Tetburys) are not available in handgrade :)

Braid

Reaction score
Well I also think that handragde is worth the money and better than main line however some designs (e.g. my favourite shoes of my entire shoe collection - Tetburys) are not available in handgrade :)
Indeed, never understood the main line vs handgrade debate. Most of the times the two lines do not overlap and have unique styles. There are plenty of iconic models from mainline that have no counterpart in handgrade line (Galway, Coniston, Pembroke, Snowdon, Tetbury, Edgware, Swansea etc..).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics