• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
x-post WAYWRN - Gower 2's, Lorenzo socks, BB suit trews . . .

IMG_4203.JPG

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 2 handgrade PS shoes made by C&J shipped and coming by tomorrow EOD :)

View attachment 1423907

Nice. I ended up ordering the Hanson/Belgrave which will be my go-to shoes for formal occassions. They're my first pair of "dress shoes" outside of a pair of 8 yr old black oxfords from AE. The Howie/Fairford is stunning and very tempting, but decided they're a little too nice for my daily workwear of jeans and chinos (whenever I get back to working in the office again).

Btw, I noticed last night Amex is offering $50 statement credit on Paul Stuart purchases( details below)

"Get a one-time $50 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $250 in one or more transactions in-store at Paul Stuart or online at paulstuart.com by 7/31/2020. Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem."

Last edited:

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. I ended up ordering the Hanson/Belgrave which will be my go-to shoes for formal occassions. They're my first pair of "dress shoes" outside of a pair of 8 yr old black oxfords from AE. The Howie/Fairford is stunning and very tempting, but decided they're a little too nice for my daily workwear of jeans and chinos (whenever I get back to working in the office again).

Btw, I noticed last night Amex is offering $50 statement credit on Paul Stuart purchases( details below)

"Get a one-time $50 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $250 in one or more transactions in-store at Paul Stuart or online at paulstuart.com by 7/31/2020. Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem."
Haha that would be killer to get another $50. I guess I didn’t know that but still happy that i got 20% off. I have too many C&J and G&G formal shoes so decided to get wingtip/slip on shoes. I agree all of them really tempting at a price we rarely see for handgrade.

Last edited:

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As promised, some (very poor) pictures of the Peebles, and a bonus pic of big brother Radnor. The Peebles are some serious s--t kicking shoes!

I was surprised by how customer friendly was C&J's package invoicing. Had I known that, I would have combined both in a single order, and saved myself 50GBP. Ah well, next time...

View attachment 1423910 View attachment 1423911 View attachment 1423912 View attachment 1423914 View attachment 1423915 View attachment 1423916

Very nice! Thanks for that.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats! I have Ancient Tan Cliffords (although not for Paul Stuart) and it is definitely one of my favourite pairs, great shoes!
Thank you and looking forward to get some use out of them hopefully soon when office opens up or some weekends. I have seen your cliffords sometime back and they look really amazing.

puffy

Reaction score
Handgrade vs main questions
  1. Worth the extra expenditure?
  2. Lasts: grab your usual size? I'm a UK8.5E in 348 and 341

Last edited:

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Handgrade vs main questions
  1. Worth the extra expenditure?
  2. Lasts: grab your usual size? I'm a UK8.5E in 348 and 341
Yes for sure it is absolutely worth it I feel for me and you should take the same size.
It is worth reading this article below to understand the difference between handgrade and benchgrade line.

puffy

Reaction score
Yes for sure it is absolutely worth it I feel for me and you should take the same size.
It is worth reading this article below to understand the difference between handgrade and benchgrade line.
Thanks mate - any handgrades of yours you could post some snaps of? Be good to see non-marketing'y snaps.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks mate - any handgrades of yours you could post some snaps of? Be good to see non-marketing'y snaps.

Here are some of my Handgrade C&J shoes below.
My most used pair is Weymouth on the 337 last and it has been resoled once. Still looks new with minimum creasing but that’s because of the leather quality and the perfect fit.
The Savile (single monk) has been redyed from dark brown to a purple color and the Rosemoor is also redyed from antique tan to a more like vintage cedar color.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally speaking, the "worth extra expenditure" part comes down to each person's willingness to spend. In my experience, the handgrade line is worth the relatively small up-charge. More so than more supple, softer leather (supposedly better grade, maybe they waste more leather to craft handgrade line shoes with fewer to no leather defects or imperfections), I think it comes down to the last shapes. Main collection lasts are kind of boxy and feel very "made for all types of feet" whereas the handgrade line just cup my feet much better and thus give me hte feeling of a more "bespoke" feel (although I wouldn't know how bespoke shoes fit on me since I own none so haha...).

if one were to take really good care of his shoes with proper conditioning / cream / wax etc. i feel the differences won't be as noticeable in the leather quality between handgrade vs main line, so for me it comes down to the last shaping and heel cupping. btw, closed channel offers nothing over open channel, so i never include that in discussion (looks nice but after maybe 15 or so wears or so you'll see the edge fraying depending on how you walk and how often). however handgrade does include OAK BARK tanned leather outsoles so that's a plus.

Worth it? in my books, yeah, worth it because of my perception that the handgrade line offers better FITTING shoes (potentially more durable due to oak bark outsole too).

puffy

Reaction score
Here are some of my Handgrade C&J shoes below.
My most used pair is Weymouth on the 337 last and it has been resoled once. Still looks new with minimum creasing but that’s because of the leather quality and the perfect fit.
The Savile (single monk) has been redyed from dark brown to a purple color and the Rosemoor is also redyed from antique tan to a more like vintage cedar color.

Thanks!! Impressive selection.

How does the C&J handgrade compare to say EG?

Also can see you have the Dover in Rosewood, I'm considering this pair but can't decide if it looks red or tan...

In EG and C&J - same size or do you size up or down?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads