• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

giuseppe

Reaction score
New shoes
IMG_20200630_144034.jpg

oskrusa

Reaction score
You’re not crazy, $1000 is a lot to give for them. But with that said, they are one of my absolute favorites in the shoe room. Very happy I took the plunge, the leather is amazing!

Hi @stephenaf2003 ,
If I recall correctly, you mentioned that the 228 last felt tight widthwise when compared to your boots on the 325.

Did you get that resolved with a boot stretcher or was it taken care of on its own with normal wear?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do own the hardwick and I love them, perfect for spring/summer casual wear. Here they are:

ah yes! The poor man’s Dover. Lovely shoe actually, and with the money saved, you can get some nice boots as well.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi @stephenaf2003 ,
If I recall correctly, you mentioned that the 228 last felt tight widthwise when compared to your boots on the 325.

Did you get that resolved with a boot stretcher or was it taken care of on its own with normal wear?
The boot stretcher worked on my Snowdon's, the leather stretched out very nicely. Conversely, my Radnor’s leather seems to stretch more easily. I didn’t need to use the stretcher per say, I do use a large Woodlore shoe tree in my UK8.5 shoe, and that little bit of extra tree size, help the Radnor fit my foot really well.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Tods were 600-ish on sale, but I had some other items in there that brought above 800, I guess that's why I got hit. Good to know in future. Thanks!

When ordering from UK mail order do they quote you in pounds/euro/dollars and you convert?
I've never bough anything from the Rake, but it's disappointing they don't cover customs duty even when buyer pays higher USD price. The Rake allows you to ship to US but pay in GBP, and price difference is significant. 305 GBP excl VAT, or approx. $375 USD, for these loafers priced at $597 when you pay in USD

1593534761625.png

Last edited:

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ideally, I would have ordered both so it was a tough decision. I have the Skye 3 in dark brown cordovan and the fit is amazing. I also have the Zug Snowdon which is on the same last as Radnor 4 and that one has a faux captoe which I prefer. Totally agree with you that Radnor 4 with a faux toe would have made it more appealing.
I ended up pulling the trigger on both Radnor 4 and Skye. The Chestnut color, 335 last fit and overall aesthetics are all very appealing to me. At the moment I don't need another pair of boots, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to get the Skye.

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never bough anything from the Rake, but it's disappointing they don't cover customs duty even when buyer pays higher USD price. The Rake allows you to ship to US but pay in GBP, and price difference is significant. 305 GBP excl VAT, or approx. $375 USD, for these loafers priced at $597 when you pay in USD

View attachment 1415814

This is....incredibly disheartening..... Have probably wasted a lot of money paying USD.

As to an earlier point, the Rake has a specific section of the site where they proclaim "customs is your problem" essentially.

Phoenician

Reaction score

View attachment 1415814

That's the primary reason I avoid them, and many seem to as well. They're a ripoff and a not customer-centric; that's enough for me.

Phoenician

Reaction score
I ended up pulling the trigger on both Radnor 4 and Skye. The Chestnut color, 335 last fit and overall aesthetics are all very appealing to me. At the moment I don't need another pair of boots, but couldn't pass up on the opportunity to get the Skye.

Whoa! Atta' boy! I was lucky and recently got the Skye III in Chestnut on sale at Bodiley's for 320 GBP and am glad I did; it's a terrific color!

20200622_185437~2.jpg
20200622_185422~2.jpg

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the primary reason I avoid them, and many seem to as well. They're a ripoff and a not customer-centric; that's enough for me.

Might be a bit much. They have a well curated selection and in much of the US we have a paucity of choice.

Customer service has always been really good. Have done no cost returns, and never had quality issues like on MP or FF.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might be a bit much. They have a well curated selection and in much of the US we have a paucity of choice.

Customer service has always been really good. Have done no cost returns, and never had quality issues like on MP or FF.

Is the USD list price for your loafers on par with US retail price? If yes, it's possible Tod's controls pricing policy and the Rake may have their hands tied in terms of offering more favorable pricing. I've noticed C&J and EG USD prices are on par with US retail price. However the option is there to get them at a discount if payment is made in GBP.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the USD list price for your loafers on par with US retail price? If yes, it's possible Tod's controls pricing policy and the Rake may have their hands tied in terms of offering more favorable pricing. I've noticed C&J and EG USD prices are on par with US retail price. However the option is there to get them at a discount if payment is made in GBP.
For C&J, yes you can make payment in GBP and they will deduct VAT to ship overseas but not with Edward Green. They have stopped doing that.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

An interesting point, but I don't believe the Tod's hand patinated are available in stores except at the Via Del Spigga stores in Italy.

I basically threw away $200 bucks by not switching to GBP though.....kinda hurts.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For C&J, yes you can make payment in GBP and they will deduct VAT to ship overseas but not with Edward Green. They have stopped doing that.

I was able to check out and get to the very end with payment form and "place your order" button. Does the Rake simply cancel your order?

Edit: I had a pair of Galway in my shopping cart

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads