• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No problem- against my better judgement I just purchased Pembrokes in a size 12 from Ben Silver (thank you to whomever on this thread happened to post about Ben Silver) at a deeply discounted price. This is in part to solidify my sizing expectations for a forthcoming order from Foster & Sons new RTW line (which is quite appealing- I might add), as the remainder of my C&Js are from BB and RL. I have heard rumor that BB & RL do odd things with sizing and last selection.

I think they will likely be small, but at the price they’re easy to flip and serve a purpose in their own right. While I typically wear a 13 in US sized shoes, with C&J I expect a 13.5 (12.5 UK) is the prudent choice for me. I’ll know for certain Monday and would be happy to update you then.

I too am “on the cusp”.

I couldn’t see any discounted Pembroke. Did you get the last one?

Old_ School

Reaction score
No problem- against my better judgement I just purchased Pembrokes in a size 12 from Ben Silver (thank you to whomever on this thread happened to post about Ben Silver) at a deeply discounted price. This is in part to solidify my sizing expectations for a forthcoming order from Foster & Sons new RTW line (which is quite appealing- I might add), as the remainder of my C&Js are from BB and RL. I have heard rumor that BB & RL do odd things with sizing and last selection.

I think they will likely be small, but at the price they’re easy to flip and serve a purpose in their own right. While I typically wear a 13 in US sized shoes, with C&J I expect a 13.5 (12.5 UK) is the prudent choice for me. I’ll know for certain Monday and would be happy to update you then.

I too am “on the cusp”.

I suspect that I'm looking forward to the Pembrokes Monday arrival more than you, and thus, yes please, an update would be most appreciated!

nikolau

Reaction score
I couldn’t see any discounted Pembroke. Did you get the last one?

I am not sure- only the size 13 (US sizes) was on sale for whatever reason. Perhaps they decided to stop stocking it, perhaps I’m going to get a nasty surprise with some QC issues. But... they were well under $400 shipped, which I regard as an excellent value.

nikolau

Reaction score
I suspect that I'm looking forward to the Pembrokes Monday arrival more than you, and thus, yes please, an update would be most appreciated!

They arrived early, and I'm wearing the Pembrokes now.

I was wrong about the sizing, the pair I got were a 13 UK.The fit is good, and most similar to my Trickers Appleton oxfords from their city line on the 10660 last, in a UK size 12. I'd advise ordering the same size you wear in American shoes, and the Pembrokes will probably fit well. At the very least this is the case for me, YMMV.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not sure- only the size 13 (US sizes) was on sale for whatever reason. Perhaps they decided to stop stocking it, perhaps I’m going to get a nasty surprise with some QC issues. But... they were well under $400 shipped, which I regard as an excellent value.

Great deal there. Difficult to get any discount on them. I think I’m going to opt for the G fitting version in the same size as my Coniston’s.

mxgreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They arrived early, and I'm wearing the Pembrokes now.

I was wrong about the sizing, the pair I got were a 13 UK.The fit is good, and most similar to my Trickers Appleton oxfords from their city line on the 10660 last, in a UK size 12. I'd advise ordering the same size you wear in American shoes, and the Pembrokes will probably fit well. At the very least this is the case for me, YMMV.

Ben Silver's C&J shoes come in D fitting (width). Most C&J shoes are E fitting. If you are getting a C&J E fitting shoe (and you generally wear a US D width), then I recommend going one size down from your US size.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ben Silver's C&J shoes come in D fitting (width). Most C&J shoes are E fitting. If you are getting a C&J E fitting shoe (and you generally wear a US D width), then I recommend going one size down from your US size.
I'm pretty sure English E width is equivalent to US D width

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was under the impression that Ben Silver sold C&J marked with US sizes like Barney's did, hence the D for medium width. I'd be very surprised that a C&J in 325 size UK13 would fit the same as a Tricker's 10660 in UK12.

nikolau

Reaction score
I was under the impression that Ben Silver sold C&J marked with US sizes like Barney's did, hence the D for medium width. I'd be very surprised that a C&J in 325 size UK13 would fit the same as a Tricker's 10660 in UK12.

The shoe is marked as a “13 D” on the exterior of the box. It’s possible that I inadvertently sized up in length and down in width. I don’t know how the label translates between the US retailer and C&J’s normal business practices.

Is it possible that had I bought from C&J rather than Ben Sliver, this pair would marked 12E?

This shoe does fit rather similarly to Tricker's 10660 in UK12 (for me, YMMV), I just compared the two.

Last edited:

mxgreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that had I bought from C&J rather than Ben Sliver, this pair would marked 12E?

Although I could be wrong, I don't think so. I don't think the Ben Silver 13D is a remarked C&J 12E. If you look on the insole of your shoes you should see the number 13 and right below it the number 4 (13 is the size, 4 is the fitting (width) - 4 corresponds to D). Am I right? For a 12E the insole would show number 12 and right below it the number 5 (5 for E fitting).

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
C&J marked with US sizing also have the US size stamped on the insole. I have many pairs of C&J marked in US size from Barney's. They're all D width. They all have the US size stamped on the insole with the D width represented by 4. My UK sized C&J are all stamped with UK size plus 5 for E.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought Barneys introduced "E" width later too...

nikolau

Reaction score
C&J marked with US sizing also have the US size stamped on the insole. I have many pairs of C&J marked in US size from Barney's. They're all D width. They all have the US size stamped on the insole with the D width represented by 4. My UK sized C&J are all stamped with UK size plus 5 for E.
F5C35D60-5D68-4C9B-AB9C-2069C0A49CC3.jpeg

Here’s a picture of what’s printed inside my new shoes. Any help diagnosing what size these are would be appreciated.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I thought Barneys introduced "E" width later too...

Dunno about E width, but soon before the end I did get one pair that was marked in UK sizes.

Those Pembrokes pictured above I'd bet money are US13D. The stamping with size we were talking about is on the insole up towards the toe. There should be 13 and 4 stamped there. It's kind of difficult to see. On C&J, the size printed on the shoe matches what's stamped on the insole so there's no way to tell the actual UK size.

Tricker's for example stamps the last and UK size under the heel liner. You have to peel the liner back to see. For bizarre reasons known only to Tricker's sometimes for the Asian market they'll mark a shoe as say 10UK but peel back the liner and you'll see it's actually 9 1/2UK. I've never seen a Tricker's marked with US size though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads