• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just ordered a pair of Harvard by them. They are trustable. Aren't they?
Yeah, for sure. Quick shipping, they even included a pair of trees with my purchase.

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a bad idea. It's a bit over my budget.... I just ordered my first Enzo Bonafe. Let's see if quality is better.

Lemons come at all price points regardless of the maker or price of entry. CJ is more consistent that most in my opinion. EG is not perfect in all honesty and my experience. I have had pairs with less than perfect quarters or aprons .. fortunately, buying from dependable SF vendors ensures that replacements and refunds are smooth.

Last edited:

chrfi

Reaction score
Ah nice catch.

If you think it's off, you didn't see the one I had to return to Fulham. Right is perfect and left is 5mm off.

It's not the first time that I see this crockett and Jones Harlechs or Bradfords with quarters that are totally misaligned. I will wait until I can get my hands on some in store. I am done ordering and sending back shoes for things like this. It shouldn't pass quality control.

My Bradfords are a bit like that too. You can see it quite easily in the picture below. It feels and looks like the quarters are somehow twisted.

jWaSNZD.jpg

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Lemons come at all price points regardless of the maker or price of entry. CJ is more consistent that most in my opinion. EG is not perfect in all honesty and my experience. I have had pairs with less than perfect quarters or aprons .. fortunately, buying from dependable SF vendors ensures that replacements and refunds are smooth.
Excellent point and relevant to all makers. By definition these boots are ‘hand made’ and humans make mistakes. Majority of times it’s not really relevant. I’ve boots with misaligned pieces and just treat as part of the quirk of that particular boot.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
I understand the hand made part of quality shoes. But at a certain price point, I just can't accept these flaws. It's more a quality control issue than inherent human mistakes. I had two pair of Harlechs from CJ and both had somehow misaligned quarters. I see a lot of the same problem posted on this thread too. If you consider that they sell these boots for more than 1000 usd in the US ... I own a couple cheaper brands like Carlos Santos for example that never had that kind of issues. If cheaper brands can have a proper quality check, CJ can too. You just make more money trying to sell these boots at full price to some people who don't care about this flaws than having these discounted as factory 2nd.

I just feel that lemons happen a lot when it comes to Harlech / Bradford Cordovan ... Not a surprise when you consider that cordovan is very expensive and they ll loose a lot if they don't pass quality control.

D-grey

Reaction score
Hello guys I'm new to the thread, still awaiting for my Chiltern from the Cavour sale which will be my first Crockett and Jones.

I just have a question on sizing with regards to the Richard and James Galway equivalent. Richard and James advised me to size down half a size from your regular but from my research the 325 last and also the RL Gianni the other galway's twin are both fits true to size because of the narrownes of the toe box.

I'm usually a 9uk in trickers and paraboots and surprisingly also a 9 us in alden trubalance and barrie. I'm looking to get the last size 8.5 from Richard and James.

mxgreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello guys I'm new to the thread, still awaiting for my Chiltern from the Cavour sale which will be my first Crockett and Jones.

I just have a question on sizing with regards to the Richard and James Galway equivalent. Richard and James advised me to size down half a size from your regular but from my research the 325 last and also the RL Gianni the other galway's twin are both fits true to size because of the narrownes of the toe box.

I'm usually a 9uk in trickers and paraboots and surprisingly also a 9 us in alden trubalance and barrie. I'm looking to get the last size 8.5 from Richard and James.

I wear UK11E in C&J 325 last and US11.5D in Alden Barrie last.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

9E UK, 9.5D Truebalance

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

8D Barrie, 7E UK 325 last

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wear the same size in Trickers 4497 and C&J 325.

I wear Trickers 4444 half a size smaller.

Hope this helps

D-grey

Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the advice, might not get it then since I have a slightly wider foot going half a size might be a tight squeeze.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoeshine Time series continue, we have been in quarantine for the last 3 weeks.

Brand: New and Lingwood
Model: Double Monk
Manufacturer: Crockett and Jones
Last: 341
Colour: Dark Brown Grain

Note: I saw this shoe in C&J store in Paris, and was hooked. I couldn't buy it due to luggage and budget restrictions. In this store I had the oportunity to chat with Dimitri Gomez, he was very kind and friendly. A couple of days after arriving home I found this shoe in sale in New and Lingwood's site, and well, here they are. I use them for restraind peacocking.

IMG_8932.JPG
IMG_8933.JPG
IMG_8934.JPG
IMG_8936.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads