• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

leparrain7

Reaction score
Trying to keep my brain busy in times of COVID-19 so is Shoeshine Time until quarantine lasts.

I hope you are all safe and healthy.

Brand: Bodileys
Model: Hertford
Manufacturer: Crockett and Jones
Last: 341
Colour: Dark brown grain
Note: This one of the shoes I like most. The same patern as the Pembroke (which is mounted in the last 325 and in 317) but different last. Next purchase will be in Tan Scotch Grain. Bodileys is a great option for C&J and Sarah a very kind lady..

View attachment 1362325 View attachment 1362326 View attachment 1362327 View attachment 1362328 View attachment 1362329
hi
I know the Bodileys site they have a nice collection, I thought their shoes were made by Alfred Sargent and not by C&J.
Beautiful your brogues, like me I see that you are interested in Tan Scotch brogues, it will always be with the brand Bodileys or C&J? if theirs are made by C&J and they are cheaper, I will focus on them, during the sales of course :)

Interesting feedback about the photos. Good luck with your search.
nothing and thank you

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hi
I know the Bodileys site they have a nice collection, I thought their shoes were made by Alfred Sargent and not by C&J.
Beautiful your brogues, like me I see that you are interested in Tan Scotch brogues, it will always be with the brand Bodileys or C&J? if theirs are made by C&J and they are cheaper, I will focus on them, during the sales of course :)

Bodileys has two lines, the "London" made by Cheaney and the "Mayfair" made by C&J. I own a pair of double monks in dark brown from the London line that go great with suits.

The Scotch Grain brogues will be Pembroke.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before they get bagged for next season.. love these boots..
IMG_1105.JPG

inTROYspection

Reaction score

leparrain7

Reaction score
Bodileys has two lines, the "London" made by Cheaney and the "Mayfair" made by C&J. I own a pair of double monks in dark brown from the London line that go great with suits.

The Scotch Grain brogues will be Pembroke.
Pembroke we are on the same wave ;)
if you have a good plan i am taker ...

oskrusa

Reaction score
Hi @stephenaf2003 ,
I think I have similar challenges as you with wider feet that are closer to an E than a D width. I have a question about your fitting approach for the 228 lasted boots you own.
Based on your experience with the 228 last, would you go half size up on your next purchase to UK9 on the 228, or still keep your regular size as on the 325 and employ a boot stretcher instead to obtain the proper width you need on 228?

Everyone’s foot is different, with that in mind I’ll share my experience with the 228.
I’ve got 19 pairs of C&J and take UK8.5 on 18 of them UK9 on one of them (348). There are only two pair of those 19 that give me trouble. So much so, that I have to put them in the boot stretcher about 12 hours before wear. Those two pairs are on the 228 last; again, everyone’s feet are different. For me, the 228 last is quite a narrow last.

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Hi @stephenaf2003 ,
I think I have similar challenges as you with wider feet that are closer to an E than a D width.
Based on your experience with the 228 last, would you go half size up from your regular size on the 325? Or would that be too long, and you would rather continue with the same size and a boot stretcher instead?

Hey man, hope you are well. No experience with the 228 but I do have a pair on the 325 and I would not size up. They are a more generous fit than the 341 and 240, which I know you have as well.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I recieved my C&J chiltern bought at the cavour mid season sale. They were delivered quickly. The initial impression is good! Soft suede, good finishing.

The 224 (uk10E) last is a bit strange fit-wise. To me it has a wide/loose heel, wide forefoot and narrow toe box. But it still fits TTS I think. I have tried to compare it with some other lasts below.

The loake 026 (uk10f) feels thigter in the heel, similar in the forefoot and with more room in the toe box.
The yanko 790 (uk10) is overall a bit more slim
Allen edmonds 065 (us11D) is also overall a bit more slim

I look forward to wear these the comming spring months!

And a comparison shot with loake 026 and RM Williams craftsman.
IMG_20200330_202500.jpg

oskrusa

Reaction score
Hey man, hope you are well. No experience with the 228 but I do have a pair on the 325 and I would not size up. They are a more generous fit than the 341 and 240, which I know you have as well.

Hello my friend,
I am well, thank you.
I just realized that I didn't make it clear for @stephenaf2003 that I was asking for sizing advice on the 228.
As you, I also take the same size on 325, 341 and 240 lasts, however, I don't own anything on the 228 last and I have never tried it. I have read that the 228 is narrower than the 325.
@stephenaf2003 has pointed out that he has 2 pairs on the 228 last, on the same size and the 325, but he has needed to employ boot stretchers on both pairs on the 228 to obtain a better fit.

I was wondering if he would size up 1/2 a size for his next pair on 228 so that he does not need to stretch the boots.

How are things with you on these crazy times?

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi @stephenaf2003 ,
I think I have similar challenges as you with wider feet that are closer to an E than a D width. I have a question about your fitting approach for the 228 lasted boots you own.
Based on your experience with the 228 last, would you go half size up on your next purchase to UK9 on the 228, or still keep your regular size as on the 325 and employ a boot stretcher instead to obtain the proper width you need on 228?
Hi Oskrusa, yeah the 228 last is a little tricky for me, due to the fact as you pointed out, since my feet are wide in the ball area.

As I mentioned, everyone’s foot is different, so beware of internet sizing advice.

I personally could not go a 1/2 size up, (from my normal UK8.5). I did try that on the Snowdon, and the Radnor, and it did not make any difference in the problem area. To me, the 228 it’s simply a shape that is not ideal for my foot. Fortunately, the Snowdon stretched excellently, and they are now one of my best fitting boots. I did stretch them for quite awhile though, about a month. No extra product, just very gently gradually increasing the tension, every other day or two. I know many, more experienced shoe folks will swear it does not work, but I guess I got lucky because it did for me.
The Radnor’s get better with each wear, but I just really like the leather, so I tolerate them. However, at the end of the days wear with them my dogs are barking. Not sure if that helps, but that’s my experience with the last.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads