• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Whiskey cordovan Skye
-YHYdi5rSCyooCn_VHdcaA.jpg

jamesnyc

Reaction score
Selling UK7E Belgrave Oxford (New) and Boston loafer. Please let me know if anyone interested in. Thank you.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI, I was bored and took to shining two shoes - my Connaught II on the 379 last and the EG Dover on the 82. Figured I’d post just to give folks an idea of C&J’s 379 last and construction/finishing differences with EG. I notice two main differences that I think contribute to the EG’s being a closer, more tailored fit: 1) the heel is built to cup your heel much better; and 2) the shoe walls, especially in the mouth of the shoe, are much higher, almost by half an inch. It’s no wonder the 82 last makes the Dovers feel like socks.
1BD8F5FB-8C56-4845-AFF8-0D20923A3CC8.jpeg
712CA6E8-F2FD-4774-97ED-EE8D1802A63D.jpeg
3EE03814-A825-4FF6-9BB2-8E7A4E039FBF.jpeg
90D824C7-555D-47C7-9035-84AF73AE4DCD.jpeg
6A0AE5CF-4CDE-47F9-BC5A-0E7C0F0D8B82.jpeg
7131A849-586F-4001-A266-A6E765C04E9B.jpeg
F44A9D5D-A061-4453-B057-C8083553C2D9.jpeg

Last edited:

Royal_Airforce

Reaction score
Sharing with ye good chaps my CJ Harvard in dark brown (or I’d rather call dark cigar) unlined cordovan, last 314. It was gifted from my fiancée.
100F06F8-0295-42A0-831C-55B806DA0CA5.jpeg

I have to confess I was fascinated by its rich colours in greenish brown and its shimmering lustre from its rich oil. Shinier than calfskin, but not as vulgar as patent leather. Calling it ‘dark brown’ just doesn’t do it justice. It has to be ‘dark cigar’.

Being unlined, it was so soft that I felt no breaking-in for my first-time horse-butt-wearing feet. Which was to my surprise. Then I was told that this model was less likely to produce the big waves typical to shells.

But I kept on wearing it, for every other day during the Chinese New Year break.

And it worked out rather fine:

8912A2B4-0466-4CDD-BB32-1D190962922E.jpeg

It helped that Wayne at Leather Healer taught me the ‘pen method’ to pre-make the crease at where the leather would bend, so that the waves are in the shape and place you desire. I also attached Vibram half soles and metal toe caps - the latter a must, the former my choice (as I walk a lot and oftener wet ground / rough muddy grounds, which means leather soles wear out in less than 2-3 years).

I wear them with wool trousers in the suns and cords in the snows (cordovan is indeed hard-wearing, being originally meant for army boots):

CAA700B0-2329-407C-BAE0-F2698745DA86.jpeg

Finally, enjoy some sun-kissed indulgence of deep cigar!

5DE184AC-2F02-4E65-877E-4595178D814F.jpeg

Cheers,
Royal_Airforce

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crosspost. Conistons from the Cavour sale. I was looking for a pair of boots to wear in rain (pretty regular during winter here in Atlanta), and was ready to pull the trigger on a pair of SoH Byron boots when I came across the Cavour sale. Coniston and Pembroke were 50% off so I decided to buy two pairs, one dedicated to wet weather wear.

DSC_0804.JPG

Last edited:

RustyRyan

Reaction score
Looking for some C&J sizing advice. I plan to purchase a pair of the C&J Chelsea V Dark Brown Rough Out (335 last), in 5 pairs of RM Willians Comfort Craftsman/TurnOuts 10.5 G fit me perfectly. I own a pair of C&J Grasmere in 10.5 in 325 last which fit well, maybe a tad loose. I am 11.5 US on Brannock. Any recommendations on Chelsea V sizing? All input appreciated, thank you in advance.

kalufsen

Reaction score
Sharing with ye good chaps my CJ Harvard in dark brown (or I’d rather call dark cigar) unlined cordovan, last 314. It was gifted from my fiancée.
100F06F8-0295-42A0-831C-55B806DA0CA5.jpeg

I have to confess I was fascinated by its rich colours in greenish brown and its shimmering lustre from its rich oil. Shinier than calfskin, but not as vulgar as patent leather. Calling it ‘dark brown’ just doesn’t do it justice. It has to be ‘dark cigar’.

Being unlined, it was so soft that I felt no breaking-in for my first-time horse-butt-wearing feet. Which was to my surprise. Then I was told that this model was less likely to produce the big waves typical to shells.

But I kept on wearing it, for every other day during the Chinese New Year break.

And it worked out rather fine:

8912A2B4-0466-4CDD-BB32-1D190962922E.jpeg

It helped that Wayne at Leather Healer taught me the ‘pen method’ to pre-make the crease at where the leather would bend, so that the waves are in the shape and place you desire. I also attached Vibram half soles and metal toe caps - the latter a must, the former my choice (as I walk a lot and oftener wet ground / rough muddy grounds, which means leather soles wear out in less than 2-3 years).

I wear them with wool trousers in the suns and cords in the snows (cordovan is indeed hard-wearing, being originally meant for army boots):

CAA700B0-2329-407C-BAE0-F2698745DA86.jpeg

Finally, enjoy some sun-kissed indulgence of deep cigar!

5DE184AC-2F02-4E65-877E-4595178D814F.jpeg

Cheers,
Royal_Airforce
Nice looking shoe for sure! Can you please elaborate? "It helped that Wayne at Leather Healer taught me the ‘pen method’ to pre-make the crease at where the leather would bend, so that the waves are in the shape and place you desire"

Can you set the crease irrespective of where the shoe flex? I have a issue sometimes where the shoe creases at my bigtoe which of course is super uncomfortable.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice looking shoe for sure! Can you please elaborate? "It helped that Wayne at Leather Healer taught me the ‘pen method’ to pre-make the crease at where the leather would bend, so that the waves are in the shape and place you desire"

Can you set the crease irrespective of where the shoe flex? I have a issue sometimes where the shoe creases at my bigtoe which of course is super uncomfortable.

This interested me also. I would imagine to some extent fit and your foot might dictate the creases

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
See second question http://aldenofsandiego.com/alden-faq/break-in-care-and-maintainence/
What is the “pen trick”?
You put a pen where your foot joints are and then crease the shoe. This way the crease is set exactly where your joint bends and the crease is nice and even. People report varying levels of success with this, and it is generally thought to be more important for the PTB.

Personally I don't think it really does anything. When I bought a pair of cordovan Aldens in store at Leather Soul in Hawaii, the guy helping me insisted on doing this. It was a nice ceremony though.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See second question http://aldenofsandiego.com/alden-faq/break-in-care-and-maintainence/
What is the “pen trick”?
You put a pen where your foot joints are and then crease the shoe. This way the crease is set exactly where your joint bends and the crease is nice and even. People report varying levels of success with this, and it is generally thought to be more important for the PTB.

Personally I don't think it really does anything. When I bought a pair of cordovan Aldens in store at Leather Soul in Hawaii, the guy helping me insisted on doing this. It was a nice ceremony though.

Worth a try I suppose. That link was quite interesting, thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads