• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

mg92

Reaction score
X-post from Anglo-Italian thread.

24rq3RG.jpg

Wearing the Studridges today.

MrBoombastic

Reaction score
If anyone owns C&J handgrade and benchgrade shoes, does handgrade shoes worth to purchase with additional price? I just wanted to learn about handgrade shoes more.

I concur with what others have said above, the leathers are softer and smoother on the Handgrade line. I have both and could tell the difference as soon as I felt them in hand and put them on for the first time. If you can spend a little extra, its definitely worth it!

Hope it helps :)

ordinary_hazard

Reaction score
Looking to order a pair of Islay's shipped to the US. Anyone use Pediwear? Is there a better or cheaper option? Thanks.
I use Pediwear for C&J. I had only good experience and I will go back to them for more in future. I couldn't find better price. Shipping to NYC is 18 GBP via DHL, and it gets delivered in a day or two.
Pediwear has monthly limit for C&J orders, which they have exceeded for February so you if you order now, they will probably ship it first or second week in March. If you click on More Detail under Back Order section, you will get their current status.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Pediwear for C&J. I had only good experience and I will go back to them for more in future. I couldn't find better price. Shipping to NYC is 18 GBP via DHL, and it gets delivered in a day or two.
Pediwear has monthly limit for C&J orders, which they have exceeded for February so you if you order now, they will probably ship it first or second week in March. If you click on More Detail under Back Order section, you will get their current status.

Pediwear is great - they don't carry much Handgrade though.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pediwear is great - they don't carry much Handgrade though.
Thanks guys. Pediwear said my size was instock so I ordered from them.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So if Pediwear does not have it in stock is it the same price to order it directly from C&J?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So if Pediwear does not have it in stock is it the same price to order it directly from C&J?

I think C&J charges a bit more for shipping but yeah, same price.

Mallaig

Reaction score
The difference in quality is worth the money IMO. The craftsmanship and attention to details are a bit better and the lining is nicer but for me main differences are better uppers leather and MUCH better soles (benchgrade leathers soles quality and durability are rather low).
Benchgrade shoes are still nice, especially on rubber sole. In fact my 5 years old dark brown Tetburys are my favourite pair of shoes.
I have zero experience with the handgrade models so these comments are intriguing to me. Question for @stijn, are our Whisky Shell MTO going to use the handgrade quality soles or the benchgrade quality soles ? Can we influence which is used ? Or am I tilting at windmills ?

MrBoombastic

Reaction score
Although not addressed to me but my understanding is that any C&J MTOs are usually made to Handgrade standards.

I have zero experience with the handgrade models so these comments are intriguing to me. Question for @stijn, are our Whisky Shell MTO going to use the handgrade quality soles or the benchgrade quality soles ? Can we influence which is used ? Or am I tilting at windmills ?

shoeinvestor

Reaction score
Although not addressed to me but my understanding is that any C&J MTOs are usually made to Handgrade standards.
Sorry, but that is definitely not correct. I have done three single MTO with C&J so far and you get benchgrade quality if you pay for it and you get handgrade quality if you pay for it.
The Westfield is benchgrade which means you will get benchgrade in MTO if you do not pay a handgrade premium. And from the price stijn quoted, handgrade is impossible.

MrBoombastic

Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying that @shoeinvestor, I didn't know that you could get a Benchgrade MTO too! But then again, I'm very new to the this fancy shoe world :D

@Mallaig - FYI buddy!

Sorry, but that is definitely not correct. I have done three single MTO with C&J so far and you get benchgrade quality if you pay for it and you get handgrade quality if you pay for it.
The Westfield is benchgrade which means you will get benchgrade in MTO if you do not pay a handgrade premium. And from the price stijn quoted, handgrade is impossible.

Mallaig

Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying that @shoeinvestor, I didn't know that you could get a Benchgrade MTO too! But then again, I'm very new to the this fancy shoe world :D

@Mallaig - FYI buddy!
Thanks to both @MrBoombastic and @shoeinvestor

So now I'm wondering what constitutes a handgrade MTO when you are using shell . The last and the tanned bark sole seem to be the primary differences. Anything else ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads