• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

nickycheong

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
Sizing question - I want to mail order my first C&J loafer, I love how the Cavendish look but would like to hear your thoughts on the sizing and whether I should go half size down from the Brecon’s?
Anyone got pictures of Cavendish on jeans and/or Chinos would be much appreciated as well :)

thanks

I have a Harlech (341 last) and can confirm that for my Cavendish (325 last) I went down half a size for the best fit.

I do not have any pictures at the moment, but can confirm that my Cavendish in polo brown suede work brilliantly with those trouser combinations (in navy, tan, olive). All subject to personal taste of course.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Cavs.

The Tall Englishman

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
Sizing question - I want to mail order my first C&J loafer, I love how the Cavendish look but would like to hear your thoughts on the sizing and whether I should go half size down from the Brecon’s?
Anyone got pictures of Cavendish on jeans and/or Chinos would be much appreciated as well :)

thanks
I have a pair of Conistons (325) which are just about perfect. However, at the end of the day when feet have swollen my toes can feel the end of the boot. No such problem with my Harlechs (341) in exactly the same size. The 325 and 341 are the same shape except in the toe, where the 341 is slightly longer. I would urge caution and check both sizes in your feet before deciding. When I was last in the Jermyn St Branch I was served by Toby who advised me that it is very rare to change sizes with the two lasts.

Shaunm88

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

thanks

Depends on the last

My Brecons are 8uk on 341 last, yet my 341 last Chukka and another Chelsea boot I am 7.5UK
Harvard II loafer is nice and tight on 376 last and also 8UK

Mallaig

Reaction score
I have a pair of Conistons (325) which are just about perfect. However, at the end of the day when feet have swollen my toes can feel the end of the boot. No such problem with my Harlechs (341) in exactly the same size. The 325 and 341 are the same shape except in the toe, where the 341 is slightly longer. I would urge caution and check both sizes in your feet before deciding. When I was last in the Jermyn St Branch I was served by Toby who advised me that it is very rare to change sizes with the two lasts.
Foot shape, of course, determines which of the lasts works best On the Brannock device my feet are 9.5C. I wear 341 and 348 in UK8, but wear 325 in UK8.5. The shoeter toe length is the problem for me. With 325 I wear insoles and thicker socks to consume the volume.

Houta

Reaction score
I have a Harlech (341 last) and can confirm that for my Cavendish (325 last) I went down half a size for the best fit.

I do not have any pictures at the moment, but can confirm that my Cavendish in polo brown suede work brilliantly with those trouser combinations (in navy, tan, olive). All subject to personal taste of course.
Thanks mate - it’s the polo brown suede as well am after :) half size down makes perfect sense, thanks for the confirmation!

Houta

Reaction score
Last time I was at Jermyn St Branch, I went against their advise and got the Brecon’s in 9.5UK instead of 9UK. This was after they measured my feet and everything. It was the right decision so am not very sure about their opinion on sizing.

ryanluo23

Reaction score
Congratulations... These are amongst the best boots money can buy :)

Thanks buddy!

Any tips where I can find the Coniston in Suede? The only website I came across is a company in Brescia Italy - Borghiniclassic but only available in limited sizes...

AMD500

Reaction score
Hope this is kosher, if not please let me know and I will delete. X post from the alden B/T/S thread. I'm Looking for a pair of Galways in 9E (or RRL Gianni). Would love to trade. See below.
I have a pair of recent Ravello cap toe boots from DC (worn 3 times) Size 10D, Grant last. lots of bloom on these bad boys.
Looking to trade for Crockett and Jones Shell Galway boots 9E.

View attachment 1335400

MrBoombastic

Reaction score
Hey lads

Hope 2020 has been great for you all so far.. Newbie here (and my first post) so go easy on me please! :blush:

First I’d like to start by saying a massive ‘Thank you’ to you wonderful lot! I started thinking about getting into some quality leather shoes mid-late last year and felt so overwhelmed with so much information to take in. Randomly came across this forum and have been doing quite a bit of reading for the past 6 months, which has helped me a great deal!

It’s a deep bloody rabbit hole and given I tend to impulse buy at times, it didn’t work in my favour in this instance! I went overboard and spent all my savings (which were going towards a push bike and a camera) on 6 pairs of Crockett and Jones!!! :oops:

Here is my collection:

C&J Westfield Dark Brown (Last 341)

C&J Sydney Dark Brown (Last 341)

C&J Maitland Dark Brown (Handgrade - Last 337) *Exclusive to Double Monk in Melbourne*

C&J Maitland Black (Handgrade - Last 337)

C&J Belgrave Chestnut (Handgrade - Last 337)

C&J Stroud (Handgrade - Last 367) – Pictures attached *Exclusive to American Tailors in Melbourne*

I am still fairly new to this and from my limited exposure, I seem to like the 337 last. I like elegant (kinda timeless fashionable) looking shoes - neither too pointy so they look clowny (which seems to be the trend these days) nor too round so they look old school and boring. I really wanted to get Weymouth II or Edgware but I found the lasts too pointy (348 and 373).

I find myself wearing Maitland the most as I find it really comfy all around. I just absolutely love the Belgrave, what a bloody looker!! I do find the oxford slightly uncomfortable on my instep (esp where the shoe creases on my left foot, it digs into the bottom of my big toe joint) and around my pinky toe. That is somewhat true for the Westfield too. Would it soften up/get better overtime? I can still manage to spend a work day in it but I don’t get that ‘Oh these shoes are so comfy and fit like a glove (statement you hear rather often about quality leather shoes)’. I have only worn Westfield and Belgrave about 4-5 times. Or should I perhaps consider half a size big in the cap toe shoes? I currently wear a 7.5E.

The other issue with the 337 is a slight heel slip, which I gets much better if I tie the Belgrave and the Westfield firmly. I tend not to as then it hurts my instep.. Is there a solution to this?

Questions

What are your thoughts on the 337 last? Is it as timeless as I think it is? Do you think I made a good investment? I am starting to doubt myself a little now..? :confused:

I really wanna buy another pair in burgundy colour and would like to try another, say elegant, last, and possibly another brand. I tried a pair of Edward Greens Inverness in burgundy in the 888 last and really wanted to like it but the toe too square for my liking. I am also thinking of the Galway in the 82 last in Dark Oak Mink Suede (perhaps a pre-owned one). Yes I understand it’s a totally different shoe but what are your thoughts on the 82 last in general? That, or I am strongly leaning towards a Handgrade MTO C&J on a 337 last – either an Andover (https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwe...st_impressions_crockett_and_jones_andover_in/) or an Edgware as I really like the U-throat punch details compared to the plain Weymouth II.

Sorry for the long post and so many questions but I'd really appreciate your advice!

CJ Stroud 1.JPG
CJ Stroud 2.JPG

Braid

Reaction score
Hey lads

Hope 2020 has been great for you all so far.. Newbie here (and my first post) so go easy on me please! :blush:

First I’d like to start by saying a massive ‘Thank you’ to you wonderful lot! I started thinking about getting into some quality leather shoes mid-late last year and felt so overwhelmed with so much information to take in. Randomly came across this forum and have been doing quite a bit of reading for the past 6 months, which has helped me a great deal!

It’s a deep bloody rabbit hole and given I tend to impulse buy at times, it didn’t work in my favour in this instance! I went overboard and spent all my savings (which were going towards a push bike and a camera) on 6 pairs of Crockett and Jones!!! :oops:

Here is my collection:

C&J Westfield Dark Brown (Last 341)

C&J Sydney Dark Brown (Last 341)

C&J Maitland Dark Brown (Handgrade - Last 337) *Exclusive to Double Monk in Melbourne*

C&J Maitland Black (Handgrade - Last 337)

C&J Belgrave Chestnut (Handgrade - Last 337)

C&J Stroud (Handgrade - Last 367) – Pictures attached *Exclusive to American Tailors in Melbourne*

I am still fairly new to this and from my limited exposure, I seem to like the 337 last. I like elegant (kinda timeless fashionable) looking shoes - neither too pointy so they look clowny (which seems to be the trend these days) nor too round so they look old school and boring. I really wanted to get Weymouth II or Edgware but I found the lasts too pointy (348 and 373).

I find myself wearing Maitland the most as I find it really comfy all around. I just absolutely love the Belgrave, what a bloody looker!! I do find the oxford slightly uncomfortable on my instep (esp where the shoe creases on my left foot, it digs into the bottom of my big toe joint) and around my pinky toe. That is somewhat true for the Westfield too. Would it soften up/get better overtime? I can still manage to spend a work day in it but I don’t get that ‘Oh these shoes are so comfy and fit like a glove (statement you hear rather often about quality leather shoes)’. I have only worn Westfield and Belgrave about 4-5 times. Or should I perhaps consider half a size big in the cap toe shoes? I currently wear a 7.5E.

The other issue with the 337 is a slight heel slip, which I gets much better if I tie the Belgrave and the Westfield firmly. I tend not to as then it hurts my instep.. Is there a solution to this?

Questions

What are your thoughts on the 337 last? Is it as timeless as I think it is? Do you think I made a good investment? I am starting to doubt myself a little now..? :confused:

I really wanna buy another pair in burgundy colour and would like to try another, say elegant, last, and possibly another brand. I tried a pair of Edward Greens Inverness in burgundy in the 888 last and really wanted to like it but the toe too square for my liking. I am also thinking of the Galway in the 82 last in Dark Oak Mink Suede (perhaps a pre-owned one). Yes I understand it’s a totally different shoe but what are your thoughts on the 82 last in general? That, or I am strongly leaning towards a Handgrade MTO C&J on a 337 last – either an Andover (https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwe...st_impressions_crockett_and_jones_andover_in/) or an Edgware as I really like the U-throat punch details compared to the plain Weymouth II.

Sorry for the long post and so many questions but I'd really appreciate your advice!

View attachment 1336707 View attachment 1336708
Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your collection, all great shoes! I am particularly jealous of the Stroud, as this seems to be a really unique make up.

My first suggestion would be to stop buying shoes for a while, so you can better develop your personal taste and avoid regretting or second guessing your purchase. It would give you time to understand which lasts fit you better (4-5 wear are not enough, give the 341 some more time!), your needs in term of use cases (formal shoes vs casual/boots) and your aesthetic preferences.

Second suggestion: If you are looking for a less pointy version of Edgware I recommend Bodileys Hanover which are mode by Crockett and Jones on the 341 last, with a slightly different (more discrete probably) medallion. It's not burgundy but the color is really great:

Real life picture of mine
LRM_EXPORT_329069733314328_20190620_141009058.jpeg
LRM_EXPORT_771976885772580_20190729_095927671.jpeg
LRM_EXPORT_554469305795002_20190821_113647864.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads