• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I regret selling my GMTO brown Lindricks and my brown shell Skye II, both new in box. Wasn't a fan of C&J brown cordovan. But tastes change (and of course brown cordovan evolves over time). Ended up getting a pair of brown cordovan Harlech during black Friday sale, and I love them. Lesson learned.

I have learned never to let go of my shell boots if they fit well.. if CJ is about to discontinue a boot, I now think hard before not getting them. Shell Skye and Brown Shell Galway were my bad misses .. never to be repeated again. As much as I love lighter shell, I am really appreciating the versatility and depth that cigar, Brown, color 4 bring to the table.

Barbar

Reaction score
Chaps,

I was absolutely delighted to have picked up a pair of Skye III boots in the sale. I polished them up with a tiny bit of renovateur and some of C & J's own mahogany polish, then wore them on two relatively brief urban outings. They looked exactly as I'd hoped (picture attached).

I was therefore somewhat dismayed to find on going to put them on today that some discolouration has appeared in a few spots - most notably on the left vamp and around the left eyelets of the right one, but also in a few hidden areas. (I've attached two pics which aren't the clearest but can take others if thst would help).

I am adamant that this isn't scuffing - not only have I not worn them anywhere that they were likely to get so extensively scuffed in such a short space of time, but also the damage seems too patchy and too smooth to be from any abrasive force.

I've therefore reluctantly come to the conclusion that there must be a fault in the leather and am planning to pop into a store to complain, but just thought I'd seek the benefit of your collective wisdom before doing so, and ask if anyone has experience of C&J customer service in this type of situation. Might there be any sort of fix short of asking for a complete replacement?
20200125_195936.jpg
20200125_195050.jpg
20200125_195858.jpg

Attachments

• 20200125_195050.jpg
    20200125_195050.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200125_195050.jpg
    20200125_195050.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 55

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chaps,

I was absolutely delighted to have picked up a pair of Skye III boots in the sale. I polished them up with a tiny bit of renovateur and some of C & J's own mahogany polish, then wore them on two relatively brief urban outings. They looked exactly as I'd hoped (picture attached).

I was therefore somewhat dismayed to find on going to put them on today that some discolouration has appeared in a few spots - most notably on the left vamp and around the left eyelets of the right one, but also in a few hidden areas. (I've attached two pics which aren't the clearest but can take others if thst would help).

I am adamant that this isn't scuffing - not only have I not worn them anywhere that they were likely to get so extensively scuffed in such a short space of time, but also the damage seems too patchy and too smooth to be from any abrasive force.

I've therefore reluctantly come to the conclusion that there must be a fault in the leather and am planning to pop into a store to complain, but just thought I'd seek the benefit of your collective wisdom before doing so, and ask if anyone has experience of C&J customer service in this type of situation. Might there be any sort of fix short of asking for a complete replacement? View attachment 1324211 View attachment 1324210 View attachment 1324214

Just looks like the factory polish has been removed to me. Should cover up no problem if so.

I could be wrong.

Renovateur can do this but if you only used a tiny amount it shouldn’t have happened so easily.

lovely boots by the way.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Chaps,

I've therefore reluctantly come to the conclusion that there must be a fault in the leather and am planning to pop into a store to complain, but just thought I'd seek the benefit of your collective wisdom before doing so, and ask if anyone has experience of C&J customer service in this type of situation. Might there be any sort of fix short of asking for a complete replacement? View attachment 1324211 View attachment 1324210 View attachment 1324214
I picked up in the sale too. These are burnished chestnut I think so I was nervous about using reno as can remove the burnishing effect. May be what happened here but as said above a bit of shoe cream should be able to get the colour back into those areas I’d think.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up in the sale too. These are burnished chestnut I think so I was nervous about using reno as can remove the burnishing effect. May be what happened here but as said above a bit of shoe cream should be able to get the colour back into those areas I’d think.

I have 1st hand experience in removing burnishing with reno. I still use it sometimes but only very occasionally and gently.

I tend to stick with the Saphir MDO coloured creams or Saphir creme universelle now.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should I assume that if C&J doesn't identify a suede as being reverse calf (full grain) then it is likely a split suede?

I'm particularly interested in their Chiltern.

I already have three other C&J's in suede, and am happy with them all, but still curious whether I'm walking around in full or split.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was down in Nashville for the first time yesterday & today soaking up sun (and rain), listening to some good bands, eating some good food. A pair of brown boots were mandatory! CJ Skye...

RqAWLLY.jpg
What a coincidence. The one time I visited Nashville I also wore my Skyes. Guess it's a Skye type of city.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads