• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm after some advice. I have some C&J Hallam shoes (with the dainite sole). I've worn them a quite few times, I'm still getting some blisters on the toe area from the crease when walking. Using my phone as a guide I've probably walked over 20 miles in them. I have wore them all day at a wedding with no issues, but hardly walked anywhere. How long has is usually taken you gents for your shoes to break in? I'm not sure how much difference the capped toe makes compared to other shoes.

I do also get a blister on one ankle but I'm not so bothered about that at the moment.
Sorry If I should have posted this in a separate thread.

I wouldn’t mind an answer on this also. I recently bought the Hallam but have wore them only a couple of times, not suffering much at all, but then again, not much walking either. It would be interesting to know how much pain you would have to go through with heavy use before they become broken in and comfortable. I’d assume you’re not too far off making them your own.

From my experience, a cap can definitely make the toe feel tighter. On that note, after a couple of wears, my shoes break in well enough not to have discomfort. Caveat though is most of my shoes/boots are on familiar lasts, so besides maybe more flexing time for double soles, I don't have much pain/blisters issue.

The last shape might not work for you. Dainite will affect flexibility, so that could also factor in...

mschachter7

Reaction score
Hi all, does anyone have any experience with the Camberley double monk chukka boots?

I recently picked one lightly used on the bay in my size (6.5 UK), but find there is heel slip in both feet! I have the Tetbury as well as Lowndes which are both on the same 348 last also on 6.5 and they fit beautifully with little to no heel slip.

The instep of my feet also feel a bit painful after an extended period of wear, suggesting its tight but there is more heel slip than what I'm used to. Does anyone have similar experience or advice what to do? Should I sell and size down to a 6? They're very nice boots and shame to not be able to wear them :(.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, does anyone have any experience with the Camberley double monk chukka boots?

I recently picked one lightly used on the bay in my size (6.5 UK), but find there is heel slip in both feet! I have the Tetbury as well as Lowndes which are both on the same 348 last also on 6.5 and they fit beautifully with little to no heel slip.

The instep of my feet also feel a bit painful after an extended period of wear, suggesting its tight but there is more heel slip than what I'm used to. Does anyone have similar experience or advice what to do? Should I sell and size down to a 6? They're very nice boots and shame to not be able to wear them :(.

Was it from Barneys?

Stiglitz

Reaction score

I had the same heel slip issue when trying them on - the 348 is a perfect fit for me on the Tetbury, Lowndes, Norwich and Highbury, but my heels were slipping all over the place on the Camberley. I had no luck with the 7.5 either, it felt too tight on the instep and toebox.

Would definitely recommend trying on the smaller size rather than buying blind on line, unfortunately for me I’ve had to resign myself to the reality that that Camberley will not be for me even though it’s a gorgeous boot.

mschachter7

Reaction score
Was it from Barneys?

Nope, but originally from Selfridges in London.

I had the same heel slip issue when trying them on - the 348 is a perfect fit for me on the Tetbury, Lowndes, Norwich and Highbury, but my heels were slipping all over the place on the Camberley. I had no luck with the 7.5 either, it felt too tight on the instep and toebox.

Would definitely recommend trying on the smaller size rather than buying blind on line, unfortunately for me I’ve had to resign myself to the reality that that Camberley will not be for me even though it’s a gorgeous boot.

That is very odd and puzzling! Why would other shoes made on the exact same last fit perfectly yet completely off on the Camberleys? The fit and proportions should be the same no?

I guess I may have to let this one go and try half size down and see if that helps :S

Nat Jag

Reaction score
That is very odd and puzzling! Why would other shoes made on the exact same last fit perfectly yet completely off on the Camberleys? The fit and proportions should be the same no?

If you bought them from the bay, were they used. Is it possible the previous owner over stretched them?

Last edited:

ShooIn

Reaction score
islay.jpg
Recent purchase - Islays - very happy with these

mschachter7

Reaction score
If you bought them from the bay, where they used. Is it possible the previous owner over stretched them?

Yes they were lightly used, around 1 year old I think. Does breaking in new shoes actually stretch the leather that much?? I mean it probably does give a tiny bit but to the extent of significant heel slipping?

I've heard so many conflicting accounts on this, some say shoes will break in and stretch so buy a little small, some say if in doubt go for slightly loose etc

I guess I'll only know by trying on a size 6 and 6.5 brand new.

Nat Jag

Reaction score
Yes they were lightly used, around 1 year old I think. Does breaking in new shoes actually stretch the leather that much?? I mean it probably does give a tiny bit but to the extent of significant heel slipping?

I've heard so many conflicting accounts on this, some say shoes will break in and stretch so buy a little small, some say if in doubt go for slightly loose etc

I guess I'll only know by trying on a size 6 and 6.5 brand new.

It was just a thought. I've managed to stretch a pair of cheaney shoes at the toe end (on purpose) with a wider shoe tree. I would have thought the heal a little more difficult to do.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heel should be consistent, especially the stiffener, I believe, is synthetic.

Boots and shoes can fit differently. Sorry to hear about the situation.

Thicker socks?

hkp2k

Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind an answer on this also. I recently bought the Hallam but have wore them only a couple of times, not suffering much at all, but then again, not much walking either. It would be interesting to know how much pain you would have to go through with heavy use before they become broken in and comfortable. I’d assume you’re not too far off making them your own.

I have the exact same shoe with the same issue, although no blisters yet. Only wore a handful of times, but can definitely feel the crease against my toes as I walk.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Nope, but originally from Selfridges in London.

I guess I may have to let this one go and try half size down and see if that helps :S

I have two pairs of Camberleys in the same size which fit noticeably different.
Not enough to need a different size, but it was noticeable.

I have some other 348 pairs where I bought different sizes but I figured it was more due to the mysteries of Barney’s US/UK sizing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads