** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Win545

Win545 Senior member

Im an 8D in Alden aberdeen last and 7.5D on Barrie and wear 7E on 341,348. Go for 7E.

2. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Great love to C&J HG shoes. On par to EG & JL IMO.

3 hg.jpg

3. Satmoche

Satmoche Senior member

I have been looking at their Bradford derby in dark brown, calf. But Carmina offers a sensibly similar shoe. Now, I am aware that those are different brands, and owning both and only in suede, it is a bit hard to decide.
    Carmina is about £100 cheaper when you add the shoe trees. So in your own experience with calf leather, is CJ -not handgrade, quite superior to Carmina and thus worth the additional £100?

4. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

IMG_6662.JPG Crosspost. Brown Marlow wing tips today.

5. Wakefields

Wakefields Member

What model is this? they look great

6. Terrence O'Connor

Terrence O'Connor New Member

7. Misterg12

Misterg12 Senior member

Gianni

8. chrfi

chrfi Member

Well, I have cordovan Bradfords and Carmina calf derby's (Detroit PTB). I think they are comparable in quality of clicking and stiching, there is no noticeable difference. Because the shoes are of different types of leather I can't really comment on that.

I'd say there is actually quite a big difference in the lasts, Carmina derby's are quite "shapely" and the C&J Bradfords more round and classic UK-style. If you are comparing the C&J's to the Carmina Rain-lasted derby's then I'd say they are completely different in how the last is shaped.

9. OctaviusLucien

OctaviusLucien New Member

I am wondering if anyone here can advise on the fit of different C&J shoes?
    I have a pair of Lowndes double monks and I am a size UK8.5E, I am interested in buying a pair of C&J Cavendish tassel loafers and as I have not bought C&J loafers before I am not sure if I should buy in the same size as my double monks or size up to say a UK9E.
    Hopefully someone amongst you knowledgeable folk will be able to help me with C&J fit and sizing.

10. Satmoche

Satmoche Senior member

Thank you for your answer.
    The Carmina Rain derby is the one I looked at indeed. I thought that they looked similar as I did not see many derby shoes with a chiselled toe.
    Carmina not having any presence is not ideal, as CJ will sort anything out in case there is an issue.
    I was just intrigued by Carmina's calf shoes, as I have had bad experience with other brands in the past.

11. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

The leather is not a problem; both have the same quality calf leather. However a Rain last for a derby is not suitable (even if the fit is great). Bradford is a perfect derby. However 100 $ makes a big difference for the same quality shoe. Either Pembrole or Bradford are the way to go IMO.

12. Springwell

Springwell Active Member

[​IMG]
    Old C&J loafers. 35+ years old. Uppers are spotless albeit creased

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017 at 2:12 PM

13. Stiglitz

Stiglitz Member

I can share my experience, but given we all have different shaped feet, I’m sure somebody will have had the opposite experience to me.

I wear UK 8 on a number of different C&J lasts (including the Lowndes), was planning to get the Cavendish but UK8 was too big (felt closer to an 8.5) whereas the 7.5 was too small and tight so sadly I had to pass.

Would strongly recommend trying the Cavendish on in store if you can (I think a loafer can be the most challenging to find a good fit) but if you are planning on purchasing online I wouldn’t personally recommend sizing up on the Cavendish as the 325 is quite a roomy last - in my opinion of course