• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

iliria

Reaction score
Just wanted to check with you guys. I got a pair of single leather soled C&Js. Do I need to apply a layer of protective wax or anything else during the wet seasons? Or is that not necessary?

Bleedblue

Reaction score
Just wanted to check with you guys. I got a pair of single leather soled C&Js. Do I need to apply a layer of protective wax or anything else during the wet seasons? Or is that not necessary?

Never heard of anyone waxing the bottom of their shoes. Sounds like an exceptionally dangerous ice-skating substitute.

When it's damp out, most swap leather soled shoes for rubber. Water can seep in through the welt or eventually soaks the sole. Your soles will wear much faster when wet.

That said, it's not the end of the world to wear them in damp conditions - I do it all the time. And please don't wax your shoe soles, or at least send pics of the aftermath.

mirinjobra

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am planning to order a pair of the Skye II Cordovan boots - do you know how I can find it's price via UK mail order? Is there any discount for SF members or any way I can haggle the price? Just checking.

Also, I have the Chelsea V boot which is the same last, purchased from Pediwear in the UK. Would it be a wise decision to get the same size for the Skye boots?

Thanks!

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am planning to order a pair of the Skye II Cordovan boots - do you know how I can find it's price via UK mail order? Is there any discount for SF members or any way I can haggle the price? Just checking.

Also, I have the Chelsea V boot which is the same last, purchased from Pediwear in the UK. Would it be a wise decision to get the same size for the Skye boots?

Thanks!

Just email [email protected]
Don't be that guy and try to haggle.
Price will be less than US even with shipping. You shouldn't worry about customs.
Yes, get the same size.

EUtroll

Reaction score
Never heard of anyone waxing the bottom of their shoes. Sounds like an exceptionally dangerous ice-skating substitute.

When it's damp out, most swap leather soled shoes for rubber. Water can seep in through the welt or eventually soaks the sole. Your soles will wear much faster when wet.

That said, it's not the end of the world to wear them in damp conditions - I do it all the time. And please don't wax your shoe soles, or at least send pics of the aftermath.

I even believe Saphir is offering a specific product for protection of leather soles.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I even believe Saphir is offering a specific product for protection of leather soles.
If you watch the French C&J video they demonstrate sole treatment. I personally really don't do this but I guess it's done.

da(g)dstyle

Reaction score
I'm looking at the Hardwick Snuff Suede (341 last) and trying to figure out sizing. I'm an 8D Brannock, and wear a 7.5D on Barrie-lasted shoes. Should I go for a 7 1/2?
Probably more like a 7E UK. Some people even go another half size down from that... Best to try in person if possible.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Calf/suede over crepe Keswicks.
2017-09-14_17-26-25_746.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads