• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Mhmt83

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Can anyone give me info about shipton wilton loafers?
How is 72 last compared to 325 last? TTS?
What about the instep?
Thanks!

NJE66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen!

Need you to bear with me being a newcomer in the world of shoe technicality. Planning for purchasing a pair of C&J Nortcote and realizing the model is produced in vax calf. Which as I understand is under the umbrella term for corrected grain, and further consider non-preferential?

In risk of being considered ignorant – hence, look for other models!?

Thank you in advance.

xxx

shrink1061

Reaction score
Experimenting with a new pair of loafers now. I have purchased a pair of Sydneys on the 341 last.

They were a last minute bargain on ebay, and as such I didn't have much choice on sizing. They are a 6.5 UK.

I'm normally a 7UK and I wear a 7 in the 348 last, as well as Cheaney 205, however in both cases although the front width is OK, I do get a little heel slippage.

My thinking is that the 341 is reputed to have a little more room in the toe box, and I'd get a touch more grip in the heel which will be good for a loafer!

I'll know by tomorrow, watch this space.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Can anyone give me info about shipton wilton loafers?
How is 72 last compared to 325 last? TTS?
What about the instep?
Thanks!

72 last is slightly longer with a narrower toebox.

FWIW I normally wear UK 8.5 in 325 and 314 loafers last but 8.5 in 72Ex was too long with heel slippage even with thick socks

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:fonz:
Gentlemen!

Need you to bear with me being a newcomer in the world of shoe technicality. Planning for purchasing a pair of C&J Nortcote and realizing the model is produced in vax calf. Which as I understand is under the umbrella term for corrected grain, and further consider non-preferential?

In risk of being considered ignorant – hence, look for other models!?

Thank you in advance.

xxx

Welcome! Warnings against corrected grain stem form its prevalence in lower quality manufacturing since it is used to make poor quality leather seem of higher quality. I think any leather from CJ, corrected or not, would be far superior quality to anything found in the lower tiers. Technically any CJ grain leather could be considered corrected grain but it is by no means a poor quality leather.

The Northcote is a very good looking, high quality boot, and will serve you well should you choose to purchase it. Many members here own that model and seem to really enjoy it.

Report back with purchases :fonz:

shrink1061

Reaction score
So the Northcote

I had a pair here for a while. And they are the same finish as my tetburys. A waxed calf that although easily marked, also easily recover and can be made good as new with a quick brush.

A versatile material that looks fabulous on my Tetburys several years on. A friend of mine also had northcotes, and I can recommend them without hesitation as a superbly well made shoe

Last edited:

Dd1101

Reaction score
Cardigan 4s today.
Sorry for the low light

IMG_2806.JPG

IMG_2807.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads