• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

loanshark

Reaction score
Does anyone know of an Onslow stocked somewhere in suede, preferably in a snuff or light tan color?

Saw this on ebay (apparently CJ for RL Polo) and am smitten:

$_58.JPG

While not quite the same, looks like it could be a suitable replacement for my ill-fitting Aldens (curse you, Barrie last!)

s-l1600.jpg

Who makes those Alden shoes?

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was wondering which retailer sold that model.
Oh, ok, now we're on the same page. I picked them up off of ebay but by someone who had a actual brick and mortar store. No, not the actual Alden "Brick and Mortar" store, but some retailer that had pictures of them in their showroom. Seemed like an overstock situation of some sort. That was about 2 or 3 years ago. Unfortunately for me, they were final sale and I hadn't figured out the Barrie last situation yet. Clearly the 1/2 size down for me from 10.5 to 10 isn't good enough, I still have a ton of heel slip.

Skelnik

Reaction score
Anyone know how often Crockett and Jones comes out with different shell cordovan models? The Cheviots seemed to come and go rather quickly.

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how often Crockett and Jones comes out with different shell cordovan models? The Cheviots seemed to come and go rather quickly.

I think the Cork was their last one form this past fall. Im hoping for an oxford in shell similar to the finsbury they did years ago in brown shell. Im staying optimistic for something this AW17

hurhur

Reaction score
Just got a Dark Brown shell Cardigan 4 in, my first pair of C&Js. When i first got them, I was happy with every aspect of the shoe except the shade of brown which was too flat in my opinion. So I remembered reading somewhere that C&J finishes their shoes with polish, and proceeded to get as much polish off as possible with a damp cloth. Repeated that a few times and a lot of polish came off. Now the colour of the shell is a chocolate brown with some variation of colour on the vamp and heel area. Could not be happier. I think more polish will come off over time and the true colour of the shell will come through. Great shoes on a nice forgiving last.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just got a Dark Brown shell Cardigan 4 in, my first pair of C&Js. When i first got them, I was happy with every aspect of the shoe except the shade of brown which was too flat in my opinion. So I remembered reading somewhere that C&J finishes their shoes with polish, and proceeded to get as much polish off as possible with a damp cloth. Repeated that a few times and a lot of polish came off. Now the colour of the shell is a chocolate brown with some variation of colour on the vamp and heel area. Could not be happier. I think more polish will come off over time and the true colour of the shell will come through. Great shoes on a nice forgiving last.

Yep. I did that a couple times when these were new.
20017-05-06-marlows-jpg.723458

Beach Bum

Reaction score
Hey guys. If anyone knows any XL sized guys looking for a new black oxford, I'm selling a pair of CJ Connaughts for $315 incl shipping. They are size 13D but too big for me. I'm a US 12 or 13 depending on make. These would likely fit a US size 14 too. Link below to the classified section and a pic below as well.

Thanks guys.

ZxJYSdJ.jpg

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...t-13d-black-calf-nib-315.541755/#post-8848842

Reaction score
Islay owners, could you please advise whether these boots would be suitable for bushwalking and hold up well to a bit of hard wear or would they be too susceptible to damage? I'm thinking of getting the Islay as a multi-purpose boot (outdoors and then scrub up well for a casual office), but wondering whether I'm being unrealistic. Thank you in advance.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Islay owners, could you please advise whether these boots would be suitable for bushwalking and hold up well to a bit of hard wear or would they be too susceptible to damage? I'm thinking of getting the Islay as a multi-purpose boot (outdoors and then scrub up well for a casual office), but wondering whether I'm being unrealistic. Thank you in advance.
@Crat puts his boots to good use. Don't remember if he has Islays.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads