• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
another quick question tho. if this is on the 314 last should I get the same size as I got for RL Marlow Penny loafer?

billionaireboy

Reaction score
Does anyone here own the Mertons and wear them with shorts? I am looking for a new pair of casual loafer (looking at the Mertons in Mink Suede) and wondering if the 348 last is too long / looks awkward in shorts and if I should choose a more rounded last.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have brogue balmorals, single monks and double monks in this last but felt the Mertons looked too elongated, at least on my feet (UK9.5), . I feel that shoes on this last should be worn with trousers that don't have too narrow a cuff otherwise you run the risk of looking like you're wearing clown shoes.

I think you should go for a more rounded last or even something like the Sydney on a 341.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone here own the Mertons and wear them with shorts? I am looking for a new pair of casual loafer (looking at the Mertons in Mink Suede) and wondering if the 348 last is too long / looks awkward in shorts and if I should choose a more rounded last.

I have two pairs of Mertons. Including the mink suede you mention. I love both pairs with dress trousers, but they are far too 'dressy' in style to wear with casual outfits. IMO.

billionaireboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, I absolutely love the 348 and all my C&Js are in that last. I guess I will be choosing between the Poole (366), Sydney (341), and Lincoln (314)...anyone have preferences or suggestions?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree about the love of the 348. I have five pairs in that last and love them.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just looked up the Poole since I wasn't familiar with it - any of those seem to me to be a good choice. If I had to choose one, it would be the 314 but think any of them would work.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd choose the 341. I have the finsbury on the 341 and it's a very well shaped last. Although I should say that I have no loafers on the 341.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sized down on the 348 - it's a roomy last in general. I wear 1/2 size smaller in the 348 last than I do in G&G or Carmina.

But you are so fussy about fit I'm not going to commit to nuthin! :)

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I sized down on the 348 - it's a roomy last in general. I wear 1/2 size smaller in the 348 last than I do in G&G or Carmina.
But you are so fussy about fit I'm not going to commit to nuthin! :)

this has been my experience as well. yay, just wanted to hear you say it. thanks g, its always a pleasure

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cool.

good to see you.......I've not been 'round these here parts much recently......hope all is good

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

cool.
good to see you.......I've not been 'round these here parts much recently......hope all is good

all is well, thanks. Any recent transactions? In other news, I picked up a pair of NIB Belgraves from B&S. Cant wait :slayer:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads