** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

cobbler should be able to fix this

2. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Senior member

Yes i know.... the reason i put the pics here was because i wanted to know if this is something that happens or if it´s unusual and a reson to go back to the store and complain.

3. claes500

claes500 Senior member

My guess is that it is related to the salt on the swedish roads? It is probably not a construction fault but I am not certain. Do you reguraly wipe the shoes to remove the salt?

4. Frank the sheep

My normal routine is to wipe the shoe and sole with a damp cloth during the winter, i also put cream on the sole edges to protect them. The reason i put the pics on the Loake shoe was to show how little wear it´s on them after two years of heavy use. I´ve used the CJ far less and only for one year and then this happens. I have a light step and more or less never worn a shoe out in my entire life, even my running shoes looks almost new even if i have run 1500 km in them.... I guess i expected more from a quality shoe that has been pampered.

5. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I would guess the length of the last may have factored in that. Your biomechanics and the elongated toe may have lead to that result. Also, maybe you caught the toe some time before without noticing, caused a slight separation, and daily wear and tear resulted in what happened..C&J quality control is excellent and I would think other confounding factors may come into play. Hard to complain also after a year's wear too. Hope you're able to get them fixed.

Out of curiosity, 1500K is a lot of miles on the same running shoe... Shouldn't you change around 500-800K?

6. Frank the sheep

According to the makers that´s true but they want you to buy new stuff all the time :) Since i don´t wear them down i see no reason to get new ones, i normal buy one pair this time of the year and then one pair in july/august. There´s no prof that a shoe doesn´t "work" after a certain km, the studies that been made by others than the manufacturers show no difference in performance in a new and a old shoe. There is also no proof that the shoe will protect you from injuries, i do all my training in quite light shoes. The only factor that matters regarding injuries is how fast and much you increase your training.

So....as long as the outer sole is fresh i run in my shoes :)

7. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Interesting. I definitely do feel the difference after I cross the 400 mile barrier with my shoes (which is when I rotate another pair). I was always under the assumption that the midsole (where the cusioning and shock absorbtion resides), wears out much sooner than the outer soles (since they are made of hardier rubber). I do run outside on asphalt/concrete and go for moderate distance runs so that may factor in.
    Anyway, lets get back to C&J! :)

8. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

RL (made by CJ) Poller

true to size fit?????
    [​IMG]

9. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

Just received these back from having a resole at C&J

[​IMG]

10. JohnsNotHere

JohnsNotHere Senior member

nice... cost?

11. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

12. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Nice that you had them use the handgrade soles (IIRC Westbournes are handgrade)! Do they also do work on the uppers from what you can tell?

edit: meant 'benchgrade' in parethesis :)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  13. Frank the sheep

14. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

These are the 'Albany' model which is handgrade.

From what I can tell they haven't done anything to the uppers. They look a little less creased from when I dropped them in ~3 months ago. I wonder if they keep them on trees while they are waiting to be resoled? They don't appear to have had a polish, maybe a buff

They have replaced the laces, sock liner and obviously the sole to handgrade standard.

£125 is a lot in my opinion.

15. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Interesting, didn't know they had a handgrade Adelaide. The price is steep if all they do is primarily sole repair and a few fringes. At the end of the day it is still cheaper than a new pair I guess.