** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

definitely.

rule of thumb just says with a high instep a blucher might be more accomodating to your feet. no rule w/o exceptions.

the shape of the v has been discussed several times and it's something about personal preference, imo.

after you mentioned it, i took a closer look at the boots and imo there's something to be desired with their fit. imo these issues could be fixed by a skillfull person, which is very unpopular among i-gents. i still didn't got behind this attitude, though. as long the owner is happy, that is all that matters. :foo:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012

2. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

Oh, there are many more much uglier, me thinks. For instance, much of everything else made by Trickers. Red Wing. Quoddy. Some from AS, Loake, and Grenson, too.

I own both the Islay and the not-Stow Stow. Though I like the not-Stow Stow, the Islay wins hands down in quality of materials, style, etc. But it was approx. twice the price, so not a fair comparison. The only other boot I like as much is the Lindrick, which I recall is made by C&J. Now, if one was tramping through a bog or a dump I reckon wearing the Stow may be better, but that's to protect the Islay, and really one would really be better served by a wellie w/ a commando sole.

3. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

there was a dash of irony involved... ...and yes particular the no heel RW's(white sole) are awful to look at.

your observation is definitely helpful and i agree with the advantages of wellies and boots with commando soles.

which sole does the islay have?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012

4. claes500

claes500 Senior member

They have dainite soles

Thanks for your input Fritzl

5. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

ah, ok

you're welcome. just had to fix this line.

certainly not his feet :D

6. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Senior member

You seem to be one of the persons here on SF that know what your talking about when it comes to shoe fitting. To bad that 90% of your replies is like the one above or just a plain "that shoe doesn´t fit" :D Those answears don´t help much when other members (me in this case) are trying to learn more about the popular topics here on SF. I and i think others would greatly appreciate if you took the time to explain what is wrong and what could be done to fix this when you comment on different pics.

7. Frank the sheep

Picked these up earlier tonight! Ready for spring to arrive :D

Hartland, Charcoal suede.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. dandie

dandie Senior member

snap - these things are extraordinarily comfortable - hope you enjoy them as much as I do

[​IMG]

9. Frank the sheep

I hope so too! After talking to the guy at Burlington Arcade where i bought it i decided to go with size 7 instead of my normal 7.5. I just tried them on and the fit is spot on :D

Your photo is so much better that it´s hard to belive that it´s the same shoe :embar: Is it the original laces? They look lighter in color.

10. dandie

dandie Senior member

lighting and adjusting the white balance a bit afterwards can substantially change the image - the laces are definitely quite light though

11. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

Yes, their no-heel white-soled boots are especially awful.

The Islay's sole is a Dainite; I'd prefer a doubled leather sole, but that may only be an MTO option... and a long wait.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

:nodding:

i'm slowly stocking up on boots as rugged boots are more useful in my neck of the woods. my chelseas are of course leather soled.

actually i can hardly wear single soled shoes or boots. the bouncing is not bearable for me. the majority of my rotation is leather soled. i only had a pair vibramed, pb look away, recently due to not having access to the original last. after all it has a goyserer welt and is made of oiled suede/nubuck, so it widens his usability, imo, and he is not missing in the dress shoe department :D

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

13. The7Ups

The7Ups Well-Known Member

I totally agree, the multicoloured stuff I see on the likes of Belfast Bureau etc look like clown shoes, and in their own way are worse then some of the abominations Church's by way of Prada sell.

Having said that there is something fun about a RTW Stow in Acorn or mid brown that I find quite appealing.

The grain leather on Islay's not entirely to my taste but a fine boot nonetheles however I do find dainite soles quite stiff, they never seem to flex in the way that a double leather sole does, and for a rough terrain boot I also prefer a commando sole which my Snowdon's have.

Sun's out today in my part of the world. Might park boot purchase until Autumn. Looks like I'm trying to find reasons not to buy Islay.

14. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Shoes - Mertons in 'mink' suede on their maiden journey
    Socks - Pantherella
    Trou - Banana Republic

Loafing at the office today - thought I'd wear the appropriate footwear.

[​IMG]

15. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

[​IMG] Trying out my first pair of 337 (Clifford). A little bit more heel-slippage than I would like but hopefully it will resolve after the sole flexes more.