• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

NewStart

Reaction score
I bought some brown Loundes the other day. The first day I wore them in the rain. I know. I know. Bad move, but I live in England. After one day, the soles look like this...

It looks like at the toe the stitching was most reached. This looks really bad to me. Am I off?

look completely normal to me

minimalcloset

Reaction score
The manager at the CJ store in Birmingham UK told me that new soles would last up to five years. After one wear the toe is already chewed up. I am not worried about the ball of the foot area but If that toe goes, then I am going to start eating the upper that is just above the sole on the toe. I think the extended toe on the Lowndes last is the cause which seems to catch the pavement. I think when I get them resoled (hopefully later than sooner) I will get a rubber sole as posed to leather.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should invest in a Dainite sole shoes for those rainy days. They are far more practical.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The manager at the CJ store in Birmingham UK told me that new soles would last up to five years. After one wear the toe is already chewed up. I am not worried about the ball of the foot area but If that toe goes, then I am going to start eating the upper that is just above the sole on the toe. I think the extended toe on the Lowndes last is the cause which seems to catch the pavement. I think when I get them resoled (hopefully later than sooner) I will get a rubber sole as posed to leather.

In the first place no one can reasonably claim that any sort of sole leather or rubber for that matter will last that long or any set period of time for that matter. Regardless it will come down to type of sole and the conditions, how often, and the gate of the person wearing the shoe.

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought some brown Loundes the other day. The first day I wore them in the rain. I know. I know. Bad move, but I live in England. After one day, the soles look like this...

It looks like at the toe the stitching was most reached. This looks really bad to me. Am I off?

Don't wear them again without installing toe taps. You're seeing that issue because of your gait (I have the same issue).

Based on my experience, get toe taps before wearing new shoes or go for dainite soles.

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure which one to order on Monday.

Islay or Skye? Both in Dark Brown Grain.

Islay feel kind of odd with 5 rows of speed hooks, disproportionate .. Am I missing something? What would be the difference between the two other than that? Not much difference in last or brogueing either ..

I had both but preferred the Skye in shell! the Islay is also very nice but on a more generous last but it all depends on what you want o wear them with.

Both are nice you can not go wrong with either.

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is just normal wear on the sole, a single leather sole will not last as long as a rubber sole. I had a problem once with a JL leather pair shoe where the sole developed a hole in the middle just after about a dozen wears, of course they replaced it for me free of charge. See how it is after a few more wears then if the sole starts coming apart take it back to the shop.

The gentlemen who mentioned that a leather sole lasts for five years? This is not true, only if the shoes sit in a closet for most of the time! depends on how much you wear the shoes, I have a pair of double leather sole shoes that I want the sole to wear off quickly so I can replace them with a rubber sole but the shoe is built like a tank and the sole will just not wear! LOL

mikeway2000

Reaction score
I tried on some models in different lasts at my local stockists and wanted to share the fitting experience, for what it's worth.

I have 3 pairs in my daily rotation (5 days a week), all UK 7.5E on the 337 last. I have the Saville, Belgrave and Clifford. This rotation served me very well for some time but the Saville are due for a recrafting soon so I would like to add a pair of derby. Ideally I wanted to find a pair in the 337 last so that I could order without trying them on, but I don't seem to have much of a choice there. The stockist (Tassels in Hong Kong) did not have any derbys but they were nice enough to let me try on 3 pairs in different lasts so I could get a feel for the fit.

I tried on the Hallam (348 last), Wembley (360 last) and Barrington 2 (363 last). I was pretty much a spot on for 7.5E on all 3 of these. The Hallam felt a little bit tight but not uncomfortably so. So I feel I should be feel more or less comfortable ordering my new derby shoes in 7.5E in one of the 3 lasts (plus 358 last which I have read are the same as 348). I know some people have to go to a different size depending on the last, but that was not what I found. I remember back in 2008 when I was first beginning to look into the C&J line and debating between 337 and 348, I thought I had to size up for 348 because of the tightness. Since then, I have switched to wearing thin dress socks from Viccel (highly recommended) and now I feel I can wear the same size in these lasts.

For reference, my shoes have to be longer than the reference would be given my foot length. My toes are short compared to my feet (so the distance from the heel to the ball is long given my foot length). My instep is on the high side but my foot width is normal.

So I am more or less down to the Clarendon (358 last) or the Norwich (348 last). There are some other nice looking derby shoes in their catalogue but I wanted to avoid plain toe options. I found that my plain toe Saville have developed a lot more pronounced crease marks on the upper compared to my other two, which must be due to the plain toe construction.

To share my impression on looking at the last shapes, I feel that the 337 last just cannot be improved upon shape-wise, just the right mix of traditional and contemporary for my taste. The 363 last did not look too aggressive in person so I would be reasonably comfortable wearing them day-in and day-out. I could see myself wearing 348 although I did not feel that way back in 2008 - perhaps taste and perception change. But 348 would probably look more out of place with fuller pants compared to how 337 would be. 360 was quite aggressive in my opinion and I imagine I would feel a bit self-conscious wearing them.

Last edited:

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^this is helpful. I have the same sizing issue with short toes. Im a 11.5/12 heel to ball but 10.5/11 heel to toe, and normal width all around.
Thanks!

Allen Dreadmon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in Brooks Brothers on the weekend, saw some nice C&J tan grain Coniston Boots on the 240 last. I think these are a restock? There is a corporate sale coming up November 19th, which would make these a pretty good buy.

Naesuk

Reaction score

I was in Brooks Brothers on the weekend, saw some nice C&J tan grain Coniston Boots on the 240 last.  I think these are a restock?  There is a corporate sale coming up November 19th, which would make these a pretty good buy.

Wearing mine today. Great boots. Cheers

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I've seen the same. Very nice boot. Not sure if call it a Conniston -- more like the Harlech they do in Color 8 shell and also brown suede. Maybe it's all semantics -- they're great looking boots.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure which one to order on Monday.

Islay or Skye? Both in Dark Brown Grain.

Islay feel kind of odd with 5 rows of speed hooks, disproportionate .. Am I missing something? What would be the difference between the two other than that? Not much difference in last or brogueing either ..

For me this is easy: Skye. To my eye the Skye has overall better proportions.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Farhad19620
@sevenfoldtieguy

Thanks guys, I also love the proportions of the Skye more (4 row of hooks and 4 row of lace holes instead of a mile high 5 on the Islay), and a heel brogueing is more appealing on the Skye as well, though I like the rounded toe shape of the Islay last .. Still a bit of a mixed feelings ..

Need the boots before the ugly weather starts so I will post the photos of a purchase decision soon ..

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@Farhad19620

@sevenfoldtieguy

Thanks guys, I also love the proportions of the Skye more (4 row of hooks and 4 row of lace holes instead of a mile high 5 on the Islay), and a heel brogueing is more appealing on the Skye as well, though I like the rounded toe shape of the Islay last .. Still a bit of a mixed feelings ..

Need the boots before the ugly weather starts so I will post the photos of a purchase decision soon ..

Bear in mind the the Skye - 335 last - has a wonderful rounded toe in its own right. At least I think so....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads