1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Regarding tongue twist, I find it (sort of) interesting that most, but not all, of my C&J for Ralph Lauren and Brooks Bros have the tongue stitched. Also some of my C&J for Barney's boots. But none of my C&J from C&J have it.

2. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Carmina Rain 8.5 UK
    C&J 348 9 UK
    C&J 337???

I think 348 is longer so i should go with 8.5 UK on 337?

3. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

4. MSAINT

MSAINT Senior member

Crappy rainy day in Paris [​IMG]
    Veldt Snowdon are perfect and made for this!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    2 people like this.
  5. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

^^^^ now I am imagining zuggg boot :D

6. Cleav

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Interesting. I just bought Carmina Rain in 8.5 (I previously had a pair in 8 and it literally hurt to put my foot in) that I've worn once and they seem to fit. No heel slippage, laces close to about 1/2 inch, creasing at the right point in the vamp, etc.

I don't like the 348, but if I bought another pair it would probably be in 8UK; my only remaining pair are Lowndes in 8.5 and the tie is just too long.

I have Audleys in 8 and while they're quite comfortable, over time the laces have started closing all the way and they've developed a bit of heel slip. My theory is that C&J handgrade leather is sufficiently supple that it stretches out a bit more than others, so when new you actually want the shoe to fit a bit tighter than normal. Correspondingly, I just ordered yesterday a pair of Belgrave in 7.5 (trying to get an order in before the price hike, which has been inaccurately reported here as beginning earlier this week - it actually starts Monday) so we'll see if the theory holds.

1 person likes this.
  8. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Thank you. In that case I feel 8.5 UK will be good for me on 337.

9. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Radnor, Russian Calf, Work of beauty !!

2 people like this.
  10. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

I've solved this issue hand sewing a bartack as a loop, which block the side slip:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    3 people like this.
  11. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Does Chelsea 8 ever come in Brown wax calf? Debating between Chelsea 8 and Lingfield. Chelsea 3 is too narrow, Chelsea 5 is too country. Lingfield is on 348 which is on the close to too tight spectrum as well... (I have Tetbury in Suede which works just fine, though 348 in oxford always pinched me, so who knows...)

12. Wesley Crusher

Wesley Crusher Senior member

Interesting solution. Personally, it doesn't bother me much if my boot tongues move to the side. Once they're laced up, I can't tell.

Galway 2s from yesterday:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. Baked Potato

Baked Potato Senior member

Sorry for bumping this. If someone possibly knows anything about my issue above, I'd appreciate an answer. [​IMG]

14. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Senior member

Baked potato, I've got severely flat fleet as well and have to were custom orthotics. I'm a U.K. 8.5, and D width, I just go up to E width to accommodate my orthotics. Works like a charm on wider lasts. I have to wear thin socks though. For narrower lasts I have to go up to U.K. 9 and wear thick socks.

15. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

First C&J. Belgrave handgrade in black. Crap cell phone picture. Actually fit in an 8 UK whereas I'm 8.5 UK on Carmina Rain. Go figure.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  16. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

I'm being super indecisive lately, for people who own both Carmina and CJ, should I go for Chelsea 8 or Carmina Classic Chelsea in Rain (from Skoak, I prefer this over Forest just because rain seem to be the more forgiving last of the two, given my US D close to E probably safer bet)

17. Cleav

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. mosy

mosy Senior member

Beautiful. Your suede always looks amazing! What's your care routine for them?

1 person likes this.
  19. Cleav

Kind of you to say mosy

quick brush with 'one of those' suede brushes every now and again and some spray couple of times a year. probably the edging on my suede get most attention, just really finishes them off

interesting to see the number of suede shoes/boots where the edging is neglected

20. Tayo OG

Tayo OG Member

Hi guys. I really need some help in sizing on the Skye 2 in tan calf. I am a Branock size 9.5 and wear a 8.5 UK in the Trickers 4444 last for their boots. The Barrie size 9 is my closest size but very roomy for me, probably too roomy, but the 8.5 are def too small.

What size do you think I should go with in the Skye 2? I was thinking 8.5 UK, but now I've seen some recommendations that suggest an 8. I would really appreciate some help on this as I'm new to Crockett & Jones.