1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. repete66219

repete66219 Active Member

Prices went up yesterday? Criminy, I settled on the Pembroke as my next shoe just yesterday. Sheesh, bad luck.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  2. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Still definitely worth it! Especially at the current favorable exchange rate.

3. repete66219

I always regarded C&J as above my station and too sleek--I have wide feet (10.5E) and prefer chunky shoes--but all other shoes I've tried to obtain (mid to dark brown wingtip brogues) are out of stock or didn't work out. I opened up to C&J as a possibility after I saw the Pembrokes.

Sorry to ask the n00b question, but where's the best place to buy online? I'm nowhere near a retailer. Additionally, is the 325 last adequate for a wide foot? Do I go down a whole number as per other UK shoe makers?

4. DavidLane

DavidLane Senior member

The 325 last in an E fitting is a wider last, so you should be alright with a standard fitting. You would want a 9.5E imo.

Additionally, I have a pair of Brecons in a 9G on the 341 last which would be good fit for a 10.5E assuming you meant in US. I happen to have them for sale as they are a bit too wide for my foot, but the length is spot on for a 10.5 if you wanted to get them at a good price. I only wore them outside a couple of times. (sorry for the obvious advert, mods delete if out of line please) but I think they could work for you.

Best,

DL-

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  5. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. repete66219

Thanks for the advice.

I appreciate the offer, but I'm pretty specific in what I'm looking for right now and a chukka isn't in the cards at the moment. Best of luck finding a buyer.

7. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Would you buy the Skye 2 in Chestnut if you already got the Islay in Dark Brown Scotch grain?

I quite like them, just not sure if the difference will be visible enough to justify the expense ..

[​IMG]

8. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Definitely different enough IMO.

9. laufer

laufer Senior member

Yes definitely different colors.

10. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Thanks guys, will order them. Sadly, these are probably counting their last days for the season, question is if I will manage to wear them by the time they arrive to me, but got a pretty decent deal and knowing CJ prices will only grow it's a "plan ahead" purchase ..

11. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

You could try leatherfoot in Toronto if they have your size, or another UK based retailer. Not everybody has raised their prices yet.

12. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Galway Friday

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Hey guys, anybody own the Canterbury? How does the 363 last compare to the 348/358? Thanks!

[​IMG]

15. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Last?

16. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Senior member

Alright bit of a rant here. My only C&J is a pair of Islays I got from Robert Old 2-3 years ago. While I love them enough to consider a pair of Skyes when these are too worn, I have to say I'm unimpressed with the quality for the price.

First of all, after maybe 2-3 wears one of the sky hooks fell off. I have to say that the customer service was great, though. First they sent me replacement hooks (quite a few) for free that my local cobbler botched (it was misaligned and pressed way too far). Also I realized that the replacement hooks I was sent were silver/gunmetal whereas the original ones in my boots were brown, so I ended up sending the boots to Northampton and they fixed them at no cost (I did have to pay for shipping costs, though). This is the shitty job done by my local cobbler:

[​IMG]

Then the heel never sat flat. I just took this picture where the effect is exaggerated after two winters of wear, but as I say they never really sat flat:

[​IMG]

Finally, the tongue in the left boot is completely twisted. It's hard to capture that in a pic, but here's an attempt. If I try to make the tongue sit straight, there's a wrinkle and it's not its "natural" position.

[​IMG]

So yes, I like their CS and I surely love how the boots look. It's just that for 450 pounds I didn't expect the flaws above, and that comes from someone who's not really nitpicking about quality.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  17. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

If I am a 9 UK in the 348 last what size would I be in 337? I'm a 8.5 UK in Carmina rain as well.

Should I go half size down in 337 compared to 348? Or do y'all take same size in 337 vs 348?

Also, would you recommend Belgrave in black or Westbourne in black?

18. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

This appears to be a common issue with the Islay for some reason. I remember other complained about hooks falling off. I bought my pair as seconds for a 200 pounds in the Factory Shop and interestingly the hooks were a reason for these to end up as subs. (One hook was squashed, though I managed to return it my self to the functioning position so it can accommodate the lace) + I got the spare one in the box for some reason.

19. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior member

The twisted, or leaning tongue seems to be a quality control issue or defect with C&J.

I have a pair of Conistons where the right tongue shifts inward every wear. Basically after an hour or two the tongue is not even visible and so I lose a bit of comfort. A manufacturer's defect if you ask me.

Then I tried on several Skye and Islays and quickly noticed one of the pairs doing the same thing. I've never had this problem with other boots. Seems the structure of the boot is slightly compromised.

Agree with you that for as much money as they charge quality could be better. Not the best value that's for sure.

20. Wesley Crusher

Wesley Crusher Senior member

Tongue twisting is a design flaw (and probably also has to do with your feet) and not unique to C&J. Look around and you'll see that this issue with many different companies.

If you don't want your tongues to twist, you need to stitch them down on one side, but you need to do it when they're new. Once a tongue has twisted and is set in place, if you try to make it straight, the leather will wrinkle and will probably be even more annoying.

2 people like this.