1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

Renovateur smells delicious, almost like a skincare product, as opposed to VSC which is much more harsh.

2. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Personally prefer the darker colors that the shoes/boots come in. As you said, over time they will end up like that anyway, so I'll let them naturally progress.

3. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

today

[​IMG]

In other news their new website went live today

crockett and jones

#madetobeworn

2 people like this.
  4. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Managed to sneak peak before it was closed down again ..

Nothing spectacular, really. In my experience British makers have their web sites inversely proportional to the quality of their shoes. Which could have it's charms, perhaps ..

Anyway, there's a new style which looks like a modest brother of a EG Dover, made in brown suede with the City Rubber soles I believe, decently priced as well..

5. SvelteDave

SvelteDave Active Member

Yeah.. also wasn't so impressed.

I was under the impression that the site was to be more geared toward mail order, so what I really hoped for is for them to do something that would make finding your size in a given last easier.... or possible for that matter. Even a chart like Alden has showing the lasts from most narrow to widest would be helpful. Sadly I didn't see anything like that. Don't really understand how they expect people to guess their size in a last they don't know, especially since when I emailed them to ask for size help on a last I have not tried on before all I got was a very noncommittal guess. Shame an opportunity missed.

6. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Well so now I am seeing USD prices closer to what are charged here in the US -- so is this just a way to now sell for $580 to me what I could have gotten for $420 or so by ordering from the UK yesterday? Perhaps there is still a VAT deduction? I did not look long or explore ordering.

7. tkebh979

tkebh979 Senior member

Quick check.. Cardigan 4 in roughout was going for ~380 GBP w/VAT. From the US, it's now GBP 487.

No big deal, just jacked the price on a knock-around country shoe by at least $125 (~25%). If that GBP 487 is ex VAT, holy fork.

On to the next...

8. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

When I was using the website (desktop), on my end at least, it was showing the dollar amount with the pound denomination. What I mean is, if you switch the currency/language it changes the acutely currency but not the amount. I was quoted prices yesterday on a pair and it was not the price listed on the website (in pounds). The US prices listed seem consistent with what I saw in the retail store Saturday in NYC.

9. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  10. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

11. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  12. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

13. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

New Conistons again before the rain hits [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  14. ultramantaro

ultramantaro Senior member

It's wonderful when on Google Search the same Alex model pops up for $405 at Selfridges, and $660 on their own site. Shouldn't be a hard decision on whom I should order the shoe from.

1 person likes this.
  15. Skelnik

Skelnik Senior member

1 person likes this.
  16. Skelnik

Skelnik Senior member

So even though you switch the pricing to GBP it is still showing US prices correct? I don't see a way to have the site list the U.K. prices like it used to. Hopefully they will still offer the U.K. Prices ex-VAT for US customers through mail order.

17. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I hope so too, but not really in their best interests.

18. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

@Skelnik yeah that's what it looks like to me. Pediwear still lists the regular Prices in GBP but I usually use the USD to get the sans VAT price.

19. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

It would, unfortunately, be in my wallet's best interest. I would likely discontinue purchasing shoes through them with that kind of mark up. Which is a damn shame, although as it stands now there are no stock items that I'm yearning for (I do kinda like the Cavendish, but not sure about wearing a tassel loafer).

Now, if the GMTOs continue and the pricing were to remain how it is now, I would still consider some of those.

20. Skelnik

Skelnik Senior member

I sent Pernilla an email asking about the price of the Harlech ex-VAT so hopefully I'll get clarification in the next couple of days. I doubt they would discontinue mail order from the U.K. Ultimately they get the same amount from a mail order customer as they do from a walk-in customer on Jermyn St. The mail order customer pays the shipping and they don't keep the VAT anyway whether they collect it or not.

Since the other U.K. stockists are currently listing unchanged prices my guess is C&J's new website is simply able to target which country the customer is viewing the site from and list prices from that market. At least that's my hope.

They most likely prefer US customers to buy through their NY store but I for one wouldn't purchase at those prices. I suspect there are others who feel the same and though it may be a small percentage of US customers who wouldn't buy any longer it's still lost business.

1 person likes this.