1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. chiggyv

chiggyv Senior member

Looking to purchase my first pair of C&J - if the size on the inside of a boot is listed as 11D is it safe to assume this is US sizing?

2. billsayers

billsayers Senior member

The duties assessed are related to the price of the item and not necessarily related to the shipping service.
    If the product price is under $800, there are no duties.
    C&J shoes are under $800, hence no duty owed. The $900 EG shoes exceeded the limit, hence the duty applies.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  3. EnglishShoes

EnglishShoes Senior member

As far as I know, all the C&J branded shoes/boots are stamped in UK sizes.

The exception is when C&J makes footwear for American sellers where the branding is changed, so they won't be called C&J.

I'm in the UK, so I'm sure one of the American guys will confirm shortly - unless Trump has banned them.

1 person likes this.
  4. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Barney's sells C&J marked with US sizes. They're the only ones branded C&J in US sizes I can recall.
    The heel pads are stamped with both C&J and Barney's so that's something to check.

5. chiggyv

chiggyv Senior member

Thanks for the info.

ssentially, the seller can't seem to give a clear answer on whether the size listed is US or UK. I'm assuming if it was UK the size would say 11 F, as opposed to 11 D. However the outsole measurments seem that of a 11UK (13 x 4.75).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  6. Dembowski

Dembowski Senior member

These are on my list.
    M

1 person likes this.
  7. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

This has not been my experience. The only time I've ever paid duty has been on a pair of cheaneys for ca $500. They were purchased from shoe healer and shipped via FedEx. I've bought multiple C&J at one time (so value well over $1k) with no duty, as well as shoes from G&G (also over $1k) with no duty. These all shipped PF/USPS. Im sure there's an element of luck involved as well, but I'm 1 for 1 paying duties on English shoes through FedEx, and 0 for I don't know how many times with other services.

8. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Senior member

+1 on this. It's also been my experience on multiple pairs.

9. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

The duty free limit for packages increased to $800 about a year ago.
    Anything declared under $800 isn't going to get charged duty and it doesn't matter what carrier it is (except postal service in which case you almost never get charged).
    I've heard of some carriers charging a clearance fee even when nothing is owed but I've never had that happen.

If you weren't charged duty for your >$800 purchase, you should dig up your paper work and see what value they were declared at.
    I'm sure sometimes things slip under the radar but usually it's because of a "customer friendly" declared value.

I was in 3 C&J GMTOs last year and they all shipped UPS, no charges but also all declared under $800.
    Shoe Healer will ship via postal service if you ask.

10. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

today

[​IMG]

cross post apologies

1 person likes this.
  11. Isbister

Isbister Senior member

@chiggyv
    11D suggests it is a narrow-fitting UK size 11, E width being normal.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  12. derv

derv Senior member

Anyone else rip the nylon tab off the back of their boot (unintentionally)? The design seems fragile, and off one came when putting on my boots this weekend. Oh, by the way, the boots are like 8 weeks old. Should I have the two pieces of leather stitched up so there isn't a hole between?

-Jack

13. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

I've done that once though it was only on a boot that was at least 20 years old. I just took it to a local cobbler who stitched a new one on.

You could do that or alternatively take em back, if it's no stress, and ask them to look at it and offer you a solution of your choosing :)

14. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Not new to shell or to Crockett and Jones, but just received my first Crockett and Jones shell purchase, a pair of dark brown Lindrick boots. Do CJ usually cover their shoes in a lot of product? Is it advisable to go over them a few times with an old rag and some Renovateur? I have Venetian shoe cream too but I've never used that on shell so I'm not sure. Basically, if there is a convenient way to make the shoes a little lighter in color without having to leave them out in the sun, that would be great. In my experience and from what I've seen other people suggest, shell seems to look best with less cream/product piled on top of it.

15. chiggyv

chiggyv Senior member

Thank you kindly for the information. That's great news for me.

16. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Quote:Yes. Be careful with renoevateur. Potent stuff. There was a guy on the Alden thread that didn't like the glaze of Alden shoes. He really rubbed renovateur into a pair of his shell shoes that he made a dry spot. I think he sent them to Alden and the reapplied the acrylic finish.

17. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

18. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure it was renovateur. There were some comments from other guys that they didn't like what it smelled like. Does renovateur smell like turpentine?

19. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

20. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

I have read this before but never had any experience with their brown shell before yesterday. With this knowledge, I took some VSC and an old t-shirt and boy did a ton if stuff come off. I probably took off enough brown polish to cover the entire front of a large t-shirt. It lightened them up a bit but nothing crazy. Shell is a long game leather that will get lighter over time and I think its ill advisable to rush it (in my opinion). I think regular wear in the summer/fall will do the same but do it naturally. Ive been wearing them around my apartment since last night to break in the sole and I personally love the slight contrast of the light roll and darker untouched areas.

All in all, I think hitting them with a little VSC followed by a dry cloth is fine to remove excess product. If anything, I think some Renomat might do a better job in removing product but I don't use it.

Enjoy the shoes!