1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Insist it's their fault and ask for a postage reimbursement. They should cover it at least in one way. Even though it's not your fault at all.

2. mosy

mosy Senior member

What's the consensus re C&J handgrade vs Enzo Bonafe in terms of quality (construction, leathers used, finishing)?

3. zag73

zag73 Well-Known Member

The dents wouldn't bother me but the welt looks terrible. Going by the pictures, I'm surprised they were allowed out of the factory. If it makes you feel better, I recently received my MTO boots and the height was 10mm higher than the same boots I have in a different colour. The left foot also feels bigger than my existing pair. The only thing I was offered was an insole to put in them. The boots cost over £650. Very disappointing. Absolutely gutted. Won't be buying any more MTO in future. To be honest, there have been a few instances lately of people having problems. I'm wondering whether they're having QC issues.

4. SvelteDave

SvelteDave Active Member

A few pictures of the faults I mentioned:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

@SvelteDave, I really don't think the "bumps" you noticed on the toe are an issue. You must really inspect your shoes to even notice that! In regards to the welt, aren't Snowdon's veldt construction? I mean I've seen cleaner work done (i.e., EG's Galway) but I think that construction should be kept in mind that it's not going to have a clean delineation from the welt. Granted, your boot wasn't made as tight in certain areas so I do believe you have a valid position. The welt finishing is superficial and I think it's a minor point... IMO.

Overall, sorry about your situation as it's a tough position trying to do returns overseas. In regards to who's responsible for shipping, we might think C&J should cover it but that's really up to them. If you're able to show them you're pictures it should help your cause.

I'm personally not too picky when it comes to these details but you did spend your money and you're entitled to your expectations. I hope you find an acceptable resolution. Good luck!

6. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Don't know too much about the Snowdon, but that gap is the only think I would have a real issue with.

7. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

I would keep^. They will get beat to hell after 10 years and you'll never even notice these minor flaws. Nice boot btw..

8. zag73

zag73 Well-Known Member

It's a new pair of shoes. Having flaws takes away the pleasure of new shoes.

1 person likes this.
  9. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

Take a picture of them, frame it.. and do not wear outside...

10. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

@SvelteDave

First step: Email C&J and see how they respond. Experience has been that they have good customer service

The bumps on the toe cap I would say are not big issues

The welt is weird and I could see them taking that back.

Let us know how they reacted.

11. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

Does anyone have a UK sized 325 shoe (pembroke, grasmere, warlow, etc) they can take a side by side photo of with a barrie lasted shoe? The sizing of each would help as well! Thanks in advance!

12. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

I hope this helps.

[​IMG]

Left to Right: AE 1 Last, Carmina Rain, Carmina Detroit, CJ 325, Alden Barrie

IMO, the 325 is very shapely and sleek compared to Barrie.

13. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

Thanks @Watchman1 . Trying to gauge the dimensions of heel/forefoot shape. Can you comment about the heel fit of Rain to a similarly sized 325? Much appreciated

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  14. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

Im not sure if any has answered this or not and to be honest, i can't remember if i posted it but has anyone used the CJ insoles? A month or so ago someone was talking about insoles that were cut to fit specific lasts. Was wondering if anyone used them?

15. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

I would say that the overall fit of Carmina Rain and CJ 325 are actually very similar.

The disproportionate heel cup to ball of foot of Rain has always perplexed me. Such an elegant design with a large heel.

You would expect 325 to fit that way because it is a more traditional English last.

Thanks.

16. SvelteDave

SvelteDave Active Member

@SuitedDx @katch @Nikola @zag73 @Churchill W @chipshot

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, your opinions are really appreciated :)

To be honest, and as other have pointed out, I too will admit, that the bumps on the toe cap are not such a big deal, and more of a 'out of the box' reaction on my part. But really it is the welting that concerns me, even putting aside their first reply that the waxing indeed has not been done properly and I should go to a cobbler to have the welt rewaxed (I mean seriously? Have to take a 500 pound boot to the cobbler for fixing out of the box?), what concerns me is that this is to be a wax leather weather-proof shoe designed to take snow and water and general abuse of that nature. Welting that is soft and poorly waxed will definitely take in water, surely not good, and that 'extra' leather between the toe cap and welt will again take in moisture, all of which will certainly take away from the whole point of the boot, not to mention decrease its longevity. I bought these as am going to Switzerland to ski next week for about a month and these were to be my boots to go to the piste, to walk around the snow in etc, I just don't see it as a good idea with this pair.

And regarding the welting my fathers pair has no such issues or discrepancies, also someone put up a pair for auction recently and theirs does not either: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162361971848?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    Both this pair and my fathers appear to have been made a couple years ago which kind of adds to the theory that their quality has suffered in recent years - I myself have been buying from C&J for well over 20 years now, ever since my father took me to the Jermyn St store to get my first pair, and have never ever had a problem like this one (granted this was the first time I did mail order and always had a good look at my shoes at the store before purchase) which was why I did the post.

Have emailed them again and will wait for a reply, hopefully this will get sorted, as I'm sure it will, but it still means that I need to get another pair before I leave next week so am not very happy.

17. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

Veldtschoen shoes don't have a visible welt, that portion of the shoes is the folded upper.
    That "issue" is merely cosmetic, re-wax those edges or ignore them with confidence...they will be scuffed at the first wearing...

The bumps on the toe are much more relevant and depend from a slighty loose lasting.

Anyway REAL waterproof leather shoes do not exist or existed, a Veldt boot is nice mostly for the sake of tradition, not for its real funcionality.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  18. SvelteDave

SvelteDave Active Member

Really?? I really am seriously asking because when I called Crockett almost three weeks ago to ask for a boot that will do well in snow, mountians etc etc they assured me that the Snowdon is ideal and it is exactly designed with such use in mind, and that is why the Veldtschoen construction was used as it makes in more rugged and element resistant.
    Of course I know that there is no such thing as a truly waterproof leather shoe but from what they told me this is *the* shoe that is close, and I wasn't planning to wear it in thunderstorms or wade through rivers in it, just wanted something that would withstand mountain conditons better, some snow falling and underfoot etc, than say the handgrade Crocketts, so am rather surprised with what you said based on what they told me - would really be saddened if they were only doing a spiel to sell me the shoes.

19. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

Of course, they were absolutely correct.
    Veldt is the shoe that is close to waterproof, but they remains leather shoes.
    In terms of funcionality even Veldt shoes lose compared with any cheap modern rubber boots.
    (I would prefer to use leather boots all the time)

PS a well worn Snowdon boot by @Crat:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/227575/...-thread-reviews-quality-etc/6990#post_7152539