1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. montebianco

montebianco Member

Hesitating between Edgware and Alex in black for evenings out and occasional office wear.

Opinions here on which is better suited?

2. Caligula77

Caligula77 Well-Known Member

£30 for shipping to the US and EU. Cost in total is approximately $750 with the current exchange rate.

3. LeatherFoot

LeatherFoot Senior member

What would constitute an evening out in your context? If it's to dinner or something similar I would recommend the Edgware; however, if an evening out is to the opera or an even more formal occasion the Alex would be better suited.

4. Caligula77

Caligula77 Well-Known Member

Apologies for the non-reference in the previous post- shipping to the US and EU is £30. Total cost with the current exchange rate is $750.

5. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Both work equally fine for business and with a suit in the evening.

Alex, of course, can be also worn for black tie if polished to a nice shine.

6. SartorialSol

SartorialSol Well-Known Member

Agree with this. The Alex is probably a better choice for you than the Edgeware. May I suggest the Audley as well?

7. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

What do you gents think of a Cardiff Derby Style in Tan Burnished Calf?

I am not sure why it's no longer visible on the CJ web page, but does look more refined compared to a scotch grain Pembroke and more versatile for a city wear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I just recently bought them and love love love them. Scroll back a few pages for my pics.

9. EnglishShoes

EnglishShoes Senior member

So is the Cardiff exactly the same design/last as the Pembroke except it's made of smooth calf and has a leather sole?

10. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

To my knowledge/eye, yes. Also, it is a flat welt rather than a storm welt, which makes it look a little sleeker in addition to the leather sole.

I'm not sure why they seem to have discontinued it. It's a lovely shoe. I have a love affair with tan short wing bluchers though, so I guess I'm a bit biased. If they made it in brown calf I would absolutely own a pair of them as well.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  11. drpablo

drpablo Member

[​IMG]

My first post here, Crockett Bradford

3 people like this.
  12. pediwear

pediwear Senior member Affiliate Vendor

The Cardiff has been discontinued - which is a shame because it was great style - particularly in the tan burnished calf.

13. drpablo

drpablo Member

Alex for me

14. DavidLane

DavidLane Senior member

A shameless plug for some C&J I just put up in the B&S that I never quite fit into my daily rotation. Mod's feel free to delete if out of line. Details in signature.

DL-

1 person likes this.
  15. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

[​IMG]

Old favourites rejoin the fray...

Barstow on 351

Apologies for the cross post

5 people like this.
  16. EnglishShoes

EnglishShoes Senior member

Nice patina @Cleav !

Is this a vintage pair? I don't recognize the last from their current lineup

17. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Well mate, it of course depends on what you call vintage :)

I think these, iirc, may be around 11/12 (may be more) years old. Sparingly worn in a large rotation. Delightful last in terms of fit and I suppose not everyone's aesthetic. I bought them, from Colmore Row in Birmingham, because the main man in there, whose name slips my mind for now, was wearing a pair which were very eye catching. They are a supremely comfortable Hand Grade model that don't get the wear like others, simply because it's a derby, the last etc nonetheless striking indeed!

Thanks for asking :)

18. drpablo

drpablo Member

[​IMG]

Northcote, IMO one of the nicest boots from C&J

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  19. mosy

mosy Senior member

Opinions please. I have a pair of brand new brown harlechs. There are three issues that are concerning me and I'm hoping to get some opinions as to the level of severity these issues are.

1). There are "ripples" in the shell on the cap toe. These are not creases from wear, as they have never been worn. You can actually feel the ripples if you run your finger across the cap toes.

2). The main vamp area is a noticeably different shade of brown from one boot to the other.

3) The back of the left boot's heel rests significantly off the floor. When stepping in the boot it does not feel natural because of this.

Here are pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All opinions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

20. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

The ripples to be are not a big issue. I think it will solve itself with some brushing and some extra brushing. I usually think people overreact when it comes to discoloration between shoes. Many of the ones posted here wouldn't bother me as I know they would even out in time. Alas, each person has their own standards which is totally fine. That one boot is incredibly dark and don't know how long it would take to lighten up. I would give them a really good wipe down with a slightly damp cloth and see if you can remove some of the finish. Personally, I'd question whether to keep them or not which is a sure fire sign i shouldn't. Im not too sure about the heel. I see varying levels of this by maker and don't see much issue with it from people in the long run. Either way, congrats on the new boots and I hope you figure it out!