• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your email. We would be happy to assist you with your repairs for your Coniston boots. We offer two different options for our repair services.
The first option we offer is a full factory refurbishment service for our Goodyear Welted shoes and boots through our retail shops. Your shoes are returned to the factory in Northampton, where they are stripped down and re-welted, re-soled and re-heeled on the appropriate lasts to retain their shape by our skilled craftsmen. Factory repairs can take approximately 6-8 weeks depending on the time of year.
The price to have this service is $210 for a single leather or Dainite rubber soles.

The Second option is a local repair service, which is carried out by a reputable agent on our behalf and takes approximately 2 weeks. The price of a full repair starts from $175 which is the price for just the sole and heel unit to be removed and replaced with a new one. We have the original Dainite soles and heels here. If you require anything additional then please enquire and we can inform you of these prices.
When sending shoes back please also put a note inside explaining which service you require and exactly what type of repair and material you require. Also include an address, contact details including e-mail address. Once we receive your shoes we will contact you to collect your credit card details for the repair cost.

If you have any other questions you may contact me via this email or at the NY shop at 212-582-3800.

Kind regards,

Kevin L. Hill

Manager

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dahl5yakees, do you know if the George Cleverley Boots are made by C&J? Cheers

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't had the pleasure of seeing Cleverley shoes and boots in person. I've been impressed
by what I've seen online and their Youtube video.

SW1Y

Reaction score
well someone's got to pay for all the free shoes to british-themed movies, lol

Mr Craig apparently refused to wear the Tom Ford's and insisted that they be replaced with C&J's. True or false, I highly doubt C&J have ever paid (substantial amounts) for appearances in movies/media given the size and the profile of the company.

About the price going up, blame it on the cost of labour and the increases in price for raw materials. Although that only appears to be the case for shoes made in the UK :)

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr Craig apparently refused to wear the Tom Ford's and insisted that they be replaced with C&J's. True or false, I highly doubt C&J have ever paid (substantial amounts) for appearances in movies/media given the size and the profile of the company.

About the price going up, blame it on the cost of labour and the increases in price for raw materials. Although that only appears to be the case for shoes made in the UK :)

Well, among other recent promotional considerations, there's also the Kingsman movie (http://www.crockettandjones.com/news/index/kingsman-the-secret-service), some other movie (http://www.crockettandjones.com/news/index/the-man-from-uncle), and the turner twins' bellows-tongue boots (http://www.crockettandjones.com/news/index/the-turner-twins--question-mt-elbrus)... I can't imagine all that is free/costless

I'm not saying they are anywhere near the marketing behemoths that fashion houses are, but they are way ahead in marketing and online presence compared to most other northampton firms.

Last edited:

Brenner

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yes, its pretty amazing how C&J and other english manufactures have gradually almost double the price of their shoes in the last 4-5 years. This did not happen with Italian makers and others, Alden raised the price but not that much. I guess the english makers decided it was time to make more money.

Last edited:

Stemo79

Reaction score
Yes, its pretty amazing how C&J and other english manufactures have gradually almost double the price of their shoes in the last 4-5 years. This did not happen with Italian makers and others, Alden raised the price but not that much. I guess the english makers decided it was time to make more money.

That's nonsense, a pair of Edgware 5 years ago was around the £305 mark where as today they are around £380, to be honest I don't think £80 in 5 years is too bad bearing in mind inflation, the increase in cost of components, leather, workers wages etc etc.

In comparison a pair of Loakes 1880 Aldwych 5 years ago was around £165, now they're around £200 - £215 so a £35 - £45. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Also comparing one countries manufacturer to another is silly, taking into consideration very different economic climates, its like comparing cream cheese to parmesan then wondering why your carrot cake tastes awful.

At best your comment is naive and unfair, at worst its verging on slanderous.

Last edited:

CandJONLINE

Reaction score
Well, among other recent promotional considerations, there's also the Kingsman movie (http://www.crockettandjones.com/news/index/kingsman-the-secret-service), some other movie (http://www.crockettandjones.com/news/index/the-man-from-uncle), and the turner twins' bellows-tongue boots (http://www.crockettandjones.com/news/index/the-turner-twins--question-mt-elbrus)... I can't imagine all that is free/costless

I'm not saying they are anywhere near the marketing behemoths that fashion houses are, but they are way ahead in marketing and online presence compared to most other northampton firms.
Hi Sleepyinsanfran,

Thank you very much for your kind words about our online presence, we try very hard not to push it too hard and remain rooted to our traditional ways whilst embracing new media such as Instagram. In fact, we are amazed and humbled at the positive response we have had considering we do not 'yet' sell online. I think it goes to show there is a true affinity to well made products.

With regards to films/marketing budget, and the I suppose the actual reason for this post, increased pricing: The recent film 'appearances', I say in jest... are affiliated and not sponsored. In actual fact, wardrobe departments tend to pay for each pair they use, however we did gift the Turner Twins their epic boots as this is for their chosen charity, Spinal Research. Steady price increases are the result of increased labour costs and more specifically the costs of raw materials. At C&J we pride ourselves on using the best materials available to us, and are not interested, in the short term, in using lower grade corrected leathers. (although we use Boned and Cavalry Calf, which is top grade corrected calf and have specific uses). Rest assured that we cost our shoes fairly and accurately and do not average our costings across styles like you will find elsewhere. The reason suede styles are usually less than their calf equivalents.

As always, we are very happy to answer any questions, you can contact us as [email protected] (PM's are tricky, as we are not regular posters)

Thanks,
James - Crockett & Jones Online.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Sleepyinsanfran,

Thank you very much for your kind words about our online presence, we try very hard not to push it too hard and remain rooted to our traditional ways whilst embracing new media such as Instagram. In fact, we are amazed and humbled at the positive response we have had considering we do not 'yet' sell online. I think it goes to show there is a true affinity to well made products.

With regards to films/marketing budget, and the I suppose the actual reason for this post, increased pricing: The recent film 'appearances', I say in jest... are affiliated and not sponsored. In actual fact, wardrobe departments tend to pay for each pair they use, however we did gift the Turner Twins their epic boots as this is for their chosen charity, Spinal Research. Steady price increases are the result of increased labour costs and more specifically the costs of raw materials. At C&J we pride ourselves on using the best materials available to us, and are not interested, in the short term, in using lower grade corrected leathers. (although we use Boned and Cavalry Calf, which is top grade corrected calf and have specific uses). Rest assured that we cost our shoes fairly and accurately and do not average our costings across styles like you will find elsewhere. The reason suede styles are usually less than their calf equivalents.

As always, we are very happy to answer any questions, you can contact us as [email protected] (PM's are tricky, as we are not regular posters)

Thanks,
James - Crockett & Jones Online.

Thanks for the detailed response, James. Can you also clarify how sizing works for the shoes you produce for Barneys? Is a 9D for Barney's an 8UK narrow? That is, how does the sizing conversion work?

Brenner

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yes, Loake and Egware are exceptions, that´s true, I was talking about C&J and others: Cheaney,AS, Churchs...

You are right, sorry for being naive and unfair with the shoemaking industry in the UK. I am sorry about comparing UK and Italy too, two european countries with similar EU problems, but worst in Italy. Next time I won´t compare Norway and Chile, that would be hard.

Last edited:

GuP

Reaction score
How does a 337 or 348 last translate to a 341?

I take 8E in 337 (Hallam) and 348 (Audley) pretty snug. What would this be in a Sydney/341 last?

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watched Kingman movie last night
are those my pebble grain coniston's
in the movie?

labravajazz

Reaction score

Got my Mr Porter Kingsman boots, love them but not sure that they are CJ?
I never had Conistons etc but they fit firmer than any CJ 11E I ever had in fact I usually take 10.5 UK in CJ so lucky I went for 11
Anyone who knows their Conistons etc will probably be able to clarify but I never saw a CJ with size in a window a la EG?

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Conistons are on the 325 last which those certainely are not on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads