1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Skelnik

Skelnik Well-Known Member

That's good to know. I didn't realize they would have them in the store if they had no inventory online. Same price as online, $995? Do you know if the stores ever have sales separately than the website? Did they have any of the other cordovan styles there?

2. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

I also bought the Chelsea 5 boot in walnut hurricane from the Barneys sale. Does anyone know if the leather is waxed like the Snowdon boot? Not sure how I should polish this shoe.

I received one also however my sizing is off as it seems Barney's posts US sizes so it is pretty tight and like a dope I did not order two sizes. I would not polish these at all personally(if you mean getting a shine on them)...if I was to worry about weatherproofing I probably would hit them with a really light coating of HDLP...

I also bought the Chelsea 5 boot in walnut hurricane from the Barneys sale. Does anyone know if the leather is waxed like the Snowdon boot? Not sure how I should polish this shoe.

I received one also however my sizing is off as it seems Barney's posts US sizes so it is pretty tight and like a dope I did not order two sizes. I would not polish these at all personally(if you mean getting a shine on them)...if I was to worry about weatherproofing I probably would hit them with a really light coating of HDLP...

3. foogo

foogo New Member

How much are CJ shoe trees in the NY store and would it make sense to mail order from the U.K.?

4. mraza

mraza Well-Known Member

No special sales on this one though . The sales person was desperate to sell me this unit but I had to tell him it's big for me. I could have COnvinced to sell me for 25% off but I didn't try . I don't buy and sell stuff .Also noticed cordovan Loafer in brown only. The other two style was in calf leather wingtip .

I was in very high end mall so not surprised to see these there .

5. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

How do you 'convince' an RL SA to give you a 25% discount? Serious question, not being snarky.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  6. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

Anyone have any "in the wild"/fit pics of the Galway 2? I can only ever find pictures of the boots themselves.

7. Manav Kapoor

Manav Kapoor Well-Known Member

NYC:

UK:

[QUOTE url="http://www.crockettandjones.com/product/shoe-trees"]
    [/QUOTE]

Shipping from NYC -> DC was quoted at $15.00.
    Shipping from UK would be [COLOR=222222]£30.00 for trees alone.[/COLOR]

To summarize:

NYC Main Line + Shipping - $125.00
    NYC Lux Line + Shipping - $185.00

UK Main Line + Shipping - $100.12
    UK Lux Line + Shipping - $136.63

Cheapest option would be to add them on a UK shoe mail order for only an additional [COLOR=222222]£5.00.[/COLOR]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  8. Gabru

Gabru Well-Known Member

These pics are from C&J store on jeremyn st, while I was trying these ( so not exactly in the wild!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

Wild enough for me!

Thanks, much appreciated.

1 person likes this.
  10. 100 yrs

100 yrs Well-Known Member

I've searched but can't find much: could anyone compare the 330 last fit to either the 325, 335, or 341? I have narrow heels with low instep and find the 341 fits me best, but use a tongue pad for the 325. Curious how the 330 compares.

11. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Well-Known Member

weird fit question I can't believe I'm asking, but here goes.

I have the C&J for BB shell boots in 9D, plenty of room. I have Lindrick boots in 9D, plenty of room. I have Alden Indy boots in 8.5D, plenty of room. All of these boots I can probably wear wool socks in, they aren't even close to being too tight. I have Allen Edmonds Kenwood in 9D, no problem with it. I tried on Pembroke in 8E UK in store and as I recall they fit fine. last time I was sized on the Brannock I was between 8.5 and 9 in length and just slightly wide

now, I just got new Warlows (Pembroke, 325 last) in 8E UK and they are...really tight, both in length and width

I really don't think my feet have gotten larger (and even if they have, all of the above shoes fit me fine). it's been years since I actually bought new shoes - is it possible I just forget how new shoes fit, and all the above were actually much tighter when I bought them? I have never heard of C&J to have massive inconsistencies in fit (like, say Vass) so I'm stumped here. this really *should* be the right size for me, I'm 99% sure.

(the confusing part is I recall the Pembroke in store fitting fine, but I don't recall if that was a completely new shoe or not)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  12. Bleedblue

Bleedblue Well-Known Member

I have found every one of my C&Js to be bloody uncomfortable for the first 5-10 wears. Every single one. I have the Peal shell boots and the Peal shell wingtips; the boots now fit great and are a no-brainer, but the wingtips are sitting in my closet waiting for me to gather up the fortitude to have 5 uncomfortable wears. (ETA: I find this to be a great example since the shoes are on the same damn last!)

My uneducated opinion is that C&J as a whole runs narrow and stiff, which means break-in for anyone with a normal (i.e. not low volume or narrow) foot is just the pits.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  13. SaulEnderby

SaulEnderby Member

Well if you haven't bought shoes in years it could be possible that your feet have grown, and your shoes have stretched over time with them.

My feet got a full size bigger in 2015 at 36yrs old. I started to buy half a size bigger and ended up having to sell those and go up a full size to 11. If I had put weight on I would have thought it was that but I lost weight so I don't know why but apparently it can happen.

Or it could just be that your old shoes are comfortable and the new ones need breaking in, "super tight" though, I would consider getting a different size unless you think they will stretch enough with wear. The main thing is that the ball of your foot is in the right place (so you don't get pain in your arches) and that your toes aren't touching the end when you are stood in them.

14. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Well-Known Member

thanks. I'll add that I have bought plenty of new sneakers and my size in sneakers hasn't changed. so if my feet have grown it couldn't have been by very much

15. MSAINT

MSAINT Well-Known Member

C&J X Uppershoes Islay

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. derv

derv Well-Known Member

^^^ Those Islays are sexy!!!

17. yeknal

yeknal Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    They are under represented here but they are great boots.

18. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

So I just broke a 13 or 14 month shoe-purchase hiatus and now have these on the way from BB (40% off) and C&J UK:

[​IMG]

19. Patrick R

Patrick R Well-Known Member

I bought those a year or two ago during the 40% off sale and they have gotten a ton of wear. Great boots.

1 person likes this.
  20. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

Good to hear, thanks. Been salivating over them ever since BB started offering them.