1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Skelnik

Skelnik Senior member

Thank you for the information. I was concerned that was the kind of offerings that were available. I am considering a purchase or two and wasn't sure if I should wait for the sale. I wasn't expecting steep discounts on shell models or anything, but was wondering if there might be 20% off or so on models like calf Skye and Pembrokes. It's also not clear if the shops would allow one to purchase from them through the mail or if it is necessary to be in the shop at time of purchase.

2. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

The staff will send you a list of sale stock, and has no problem posting it. But if you're a UK8 - 10.5 the pickings will probably be thin, and models like the skye and hallam don't really come up as firsts.

3. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

When does this happen? I'd be interested in getting a list in my size.

4. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

Shell Dundees from the MTO
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

Double post..

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  6. Averroes1198

Averroes1198 Senior member

But still a beautiful MTO!

7. Al B4B

Al B4B Member

Hello everyone! Did you have any chance to see in the flesh these new shoes by Crockett & Jones in what they claim to be Russian Leather? They look very nice, but I do wonder how much is marketing and how much is real

[​IMG]

Thanks!

8. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

^in terms of what? Tor my knowledge only Cleverly has access to the sunken Russian calf. What we see from other makers is a their version of the aesthetic.

9. Al B4B

Al B4B Member

In terms of lasting long to wear and tear and water resistance

10. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  11. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

They worked to re-produce it with an english tannery (Baker, I suppose)
    It is made by Ox hides.

Here you can read more:

http://m.crockettandjones.com//news/index/aw16-russian-grain

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  12. Allen Dreadmon

Allen Dreadmon Senior member

They sure look like C&J to me. There are also cordovan loafers (Harvard) for $510 after all the math. Not sure how much cheaper these are than any other UK stockist right now. I would wait until the black friday deals are out.

13. SaulEnderby

SaulEnderby Member

Couldn't comment on how the leather holds up over time but I saw them in the Jermyn street store and resisted for three whole weeks before I broke down and ordered the Radnor 4 boots today. They looked great in the store and I was kicking myself for not buying them once I got home, but at the time I was shopping for other things.

From the product page:
    "Made from our 'Russian Grain' leather, an English material tanned to the original recipe of the historical 'Russian Calf'. "

More info on the leather here: http://m.crockettandjones.com//news/index/aw16-russian-grain

And I guess it comes from here: http://www.tannerbates.co.uk/pages/about-our-leather

I should have them at the end of the week all going well. I will post my impressions if anyone is interested.

14. TokenMao

TokenMao Well-Known Member

Barneys is having a sale on a few C&J models, still a lot of sizes in stock.

15. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

The Chelsea looks nice...and the price is great. Anyone have any experience with the fit on those? I am a 12 Alden Barrie/Truebalance, 12 Viberg(all lasts), and 12.5(US) Edward Green 82

16. Bleedblue

Bleedblue Well-Known Member

They are 335 last. I wear a 7.5 Trubalance, 8 Barrie, 8 Van... I found the 8 Barneys to work well, but as I recall I did wonder if I could drop to the 7.5 and it would still work. It's pretty wide but not too long.

Internet sizing: the most helpful invention since the bathtub toaster [​IMG]

17. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

LOL...Thanks! seems like they have a good supply...I will start with the 12 if I pull the trigger.

18. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

Did you mean to say that the "Chelsea 5" boots in walnut hurricane are on the 335 last?

19. likehotbutter

likehotbutter Member

Copped a pair from the Jermyn Store early in Nov before subjecting it to the Highlands for a week and at the moment, current wet weather back in London. Feet well and dry.

The main characteristics of Russian Leather tannage were a long tan using willow bark followed by currying with seal and birch oil. Supposedly "closely reversed engineered" by Baker, so expertise in bark tannage is settled at least, though no idea if Willow was used instead of the typical Oak they are known for. No idea about the Seal oil but I was told by James at the store that Birch oil was definitely part of the process. Regardless, the pairs do give off a very Bacon-esque/ Smoked Salmon scent, especially after wears.

"Wear & Tear" pics as below. Have yet to tree them routinely yet as I am travelling.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Close up of the grain pattern
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  20. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Boxing Day. It's possible that they know in advance what will be in the list npbut I've never asked before the 26th.