• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Jaggs

Reaction score
Gentlemen of vast C&J knowledge, I am hoping to join the ranks of the C&J owners, however I'm not sure how to handle my 13A feet. I'd like to start with a pair of Hallam or Westbourne on the 348 and I would appreciate some advice from those with more experience. Should I size down a half or a full size to compensate for the (relative) width of the E fitting? My only eperience with an 'elongated' last is the AE 5 with a 13B.

Cheers!

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gentlemen of vast C&J knowledge, I am hoping to join the ranks of the C&J owners, however I'm not sure how to handle my 13A feet. I'd like to start with a pair of Hallam or Westbourne on the 348 and I would appreciate some advice from those with more experience. Should I size down a half or a full size to compensate for the (relative) width of the E fitting? My only eperience with an 'elongated' last is the AE 5 with a 13B.
Cheers!

With a narrow foot you should be able to size down a full size at least. You might well be able to size down 1.5 sizes.

The 348 is a long lasted shoe - you've considered how that will work in your larger size?

Last edited:

bgk

Reaction score
Looking into Chelsea 5 and wondering what 335 fits like and how it looks in wild. Anyone have knowledge how it compares with Alden Barrie last? Am an 8d normally, 7.5d in Barrie and 7e in cj 337. For casual shoe though I like a bit more bulbous like Barrie, or similar to tricker Winston (4497s last)..Thanks.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember someone linking something like this before, but there is a Japanese website with excellent true color photos of C&J at all angles.

http://www.taraxa.jp/product-list/59

Click one of the links under the description for each collection.

Jaggs

Reaction score

With a narrow foot you should be able to size down a full size at least. You might well be able to size down 1.5 sizes.
The 348 is a long lasted shoe - you've considered how that will work in your larger size?

I have. I am 6'4", so a sized down longer last does work, within reason. My thought was the elongated last would help me when sizing down with my narrow foot. If there is another last that may work for my situation, please share your thoughts!

Thanks.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have. I am 6'4", so a sized down longer last does work, within reason. My thought was the elongated last would help me when sizing down with my narrow foot. If there is another last that may work for my situation, please share your thoughts!
Thanks.

Actually it sounds like you are thinking about all the right things. I suggest you try sizing down by 1.5 sizes. I am pretty certain you will find the toe box wide enough - I'm not sure how you normally fit in the vamp and the heal - but most likely your only possible concern will be length from heal to arch. But at 1-1/2 sizes down it works for me - my foot is just on the narrowish side of D though.

Jaggs

Reaction score

Actually it sounds like you are thinking about all the right things. I suggest you try sizing down by 1.5 sizes. I am pretty certain you will find the toe box wide enough - I'm not sure how you normally fit in the vamp and the heal - but most likely your only possible concern will be length from heal to arch. But at 1-1/2 sizes down it works for me - my foot is just on the narrowish side of D though.

Good man, thanks for the help. Do you have a second last suggestion, or do you think sticking to the 348 to start is the safest idea?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good man, thanks for the help. Do you have a second last suggestion, or do you think sticking to the 348 to start is the safest idea?

You are most welcome. If not for the shared experience of other forum members there would be little value to being here!

348 is C&J's most popular last - and to my knowledge pretty much the longest one in the benchgrades. I believe the 341 is the next most popular - it fits me about the same as the 348 - but it is shorter and more oval - so presumably the forward toe space is less. But, in this regard you won't know until you try.

Do you have access to any C&J locally? You will find them at Barney's, Ralph Lauren and even BB I believe. It might be worth checking out if you are concerned about fit.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cheers!

You're getting some very bad advice on this issue right now. If you're a 13A, order a 13A from C&J as MTM. Don't size down without trying the bloody shoe. Pay the extra money you would in a proper shop as you're evidently an odd size.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're getting some very bad advice on this issue right now. If you're a 13A, order a 13A from C&J as MTM. Don't size down without trying the bloody shoe. Pay the extra money you would in a proper shop as you're evidently an odd size.

I agree ie: trying on the shoe is essential.

However, if the sized down shoe fits well enough why should one go MTM or even MTO? It's considerably more expensive.

You are aware that we talking about sizing down from US to UK one full size - which is normal. And then just 1/2 size more to see if it helps to manage width and length. Isn't this pretty much within normal?

Last edited:

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can't agree more with the advice above---try the shoe on. I love C&J shoes but their lasts are going to fit people differently. I think they have more vaiability than any others. If you are ordering from stock, and don't mind paying a little shipping, you can do a hit or miss with an approximate size. If you are going to do anything special, I would make sure I try the shoe on.

On another topic, I bought a pair of the "Peal" (C&J) pennies from Brooks over the holidays. I believe they are on the 314 last. Just an FYI for people who have tried the Alden LHS and found it difficult to wear, the C&J is definitely more comfortable on the instep. The strap does not hurt your arch. The shoe is narrower than the LHS and I didn't notice the heel slip that some people says is there. I think the heel is narrower than the LHS. The shoe fits very much like the 341, so if that works for you then I think the C&J penny is a great play. I will post some pics after some wear.

Last edited:

Jaggs

Reaction score

Can't agree more with the advice above---try the shoe on. I love C&J shoes but their lasts are going to fit people differently. I think they have more vaiability than any others. If you are ordering from stock, and don't mind paying a little shipping, you can do a hit or miss with an approximate size.

Unfortunatley I don't have a local option to try on and I don't mind paying return shipping to compensate for my location. I just wanted to get as close as possible, so at worst I would only have to return one pair.

Thanks for the help.

Jaggs

Reaction score
Free shipping and $8 returns from Barney's. That wouldn't get me halfway to the nearest AE outlet, so it's time to try some sizes and see if C&J Benchgrade is a possibility for me.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Free shipping and $8 returns from Barney's. That wouldn't get me halfway to the nearest AE outlet, so it's time to try some sizes and see if C&J Benchgrade is a possibility for me.

Sounds like a wise course of action to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads