1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. TommyB

TommyB Senior member

Every time I see a pair from this run I wish my Harlechs had the same light shade of Whiskey.

2. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I can't immediately think why one would want to convert TO leather on any practical basis. Most of my boots are on Dainite or some other form of synthetic sole and I wouldn't have them any other way. On slender and delicate dress shoes, sure, leather seems an okay choice.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  3. TokenMao

TokenMao Well-Known Member

Boots are typically worn in F/W, when the inclement weather is more likely, so a dainite sole or something similar works better in those conditions. I have a pair of Conistons with a leather sole that I'd like to convert to Dainite; the pebble grain is more casual so I don't mind making it less dressy.

1 person likes this.
  4. insy

insy Senior member

I don't even understand why you would want Boots with a leather sole at all. You are wearing boots mostly in the Fall/Winter, which means it's often times raining or even snowing. So how is a leather sole gonna perform? Won't it be even damaged after a few months already?

Now if you just jump into your car and out of it into the office right away, then I wouldn't wear boots in the first place. I see no reason to wear boots all day long sitting on a chair.

5. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Today

[​IMG]

X post apols

6. Mr Clemson

Mr Clemson Senior member

Question: if I place a mail order through the C&J website, will I automatically get directed to US retailers since I'm a US resident? If so, that wouldn't allow me to take advantage of the current currency exchange ratio.

7. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

C&J version of online ordering is is email with Pernilla in London. Just use the mail order email address on website.

1 person likes this.
  8. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

I have a couple of shoes (not boots) w/Dainite. They came that way from the manufacturer. I may be speaking for myself, but I've found that the Dainite feels "harder" than most of my leather shoes. In particular, the stock leather soles that Aldens offer and their water lock sole feel softer when I walk. Dainite has a great reputation as a hard wearing sole so it may be that it is a harder, denser material than some leather soles. If I were to wear down my Dainite (probably never since I have too many shoos!), I would certainly consider getting a leather sole just for the comfort.

2 people like this.
  9. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I've never done that, but I would just give them a call in the U.K.. C&J has a U.,S. store so I would imagine you would just pay USD and there would be almost no advantage to buying straight through them in the U.S. except for cheaper return shipping if the size is off.

1 person likes this.
  10. Mr Clemson

Mr Clemson Senior member

Thanks guys. I'll just reach out to them and see what happens.

11. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I think Dainite does feel firmer underfoot than leather. But then some people like a firm underfoot feel - myself included. Which is why when I go with a leather sole, I almost always select double leather (which is closer in feel to Dainite). Most single leather soles feel a bit flimsy to me.

As for comfort, I once wore my Dainite-soled Galways as my only footwear over three days at an annual trade show. Literally on my feet 10-12 hours a day. Never had an issue with comfort.

Now for those who are fond of sneakers and suchlike, and equate a soppy, squishy feel with "comfort" (not saying that's you) then Dainite would be a poor choice.

1 person likes this.
  12. reidd

reidd Well-Known Member

New Audley's I picked up at the Burlington Arcade location. Extremely friendly and knowledgeable staff there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  13. kmhpaladin

kmhpaladin Member

do you need to order through the official site? my bet is you'd be much better off buying from a reputable dealer in the UK. for example at Robert Old, the leather Tetbury is currently £329.17 without VAT ($401.72) while buying the Tetbury from Barney's is $650.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  14. Mr Clemson

Mr Clemson Senior member

Well, the only reason I'm considering that is because I can't locate a size UK7 in the Skye 3 anywhere. They are all on order. Maybe I just need to get on an order and wait. I agree on the pricing though and won't pay through a US retailer.

15. Diego65

Diego65 Well-Known Member

Hi!! Agree with you, in my profession, I walk all day long and never had an issue with confort, usually wear leather and Dainite, [​IMG]

Kind regards

Diego

1 person likes this.
  16. kmhpaladin

kmhpaladin Member

gotcha, makes sense. I've gotten a couple pairs through Robert Old and their stock seems to be pretty good but it looks like they're apparently 28 days out. I would probably get the order in and wait it out, it's not unheard of for C&J to have delays like that.

1 person likes this.
  17. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

C&J retail is run by Turnbull and Asser. At least that's what has shown up on cc statement before. I think lately it shows as C&J.

18. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

I think C&J and Turnbull are sister companies owned by the same entity. Correct me if I am wrong.

19. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I read that the C&J retail is a franchise run by Turnbull but C&J factory is separate and still run by descendants.

20. mr monty

mr monty Senior member