1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. chogall

chogall Senior member

how does breaking in shoes decrease heel slip? :eek:

ime, you can definitely tighten the laces much further, but heel slippage does not get improved; its much due to the last.

2. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

I've had heel slippage go away after breaking in shoes. I'm guessing that because the leather is less stiff, the whole upper of the leather bends more easily when you take a step, which allows your heel to stay in the shoe.

3. Gerry

Gerry Senior member

Same here but only on the left heel, the right heel was good from the start. When fitting the shoes in C&J's Jermyn St store the guys behaved as if heel slipage was a common occurrence with new shoes and not to worry as it would settle in a matter of weeks. My particular heel slippage problem dissappeared wearing my new belgraves around the house over a few weeks.

4. RingTail

RingTail Senior member

Any ideas on where I can get a pair of Black Hallam's in US 9.5?
    SkyValet only had 9, Plal stopped selling, Bodiley's is out of stock and so is Pediwear.

5. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Senior member

Don´t mean to be rude but this question come up every week and the obvious answear is:

Crockett & Jones own store have all the Crockett & Jones shoes :D

The problem with stock at the e-stores is not going to improve since C&J is several thousands pairs of shoes behind in manufacturing and the orders keep coming in. C&J limited the amount of shoes e-stores can order every month due to the high demand because they want to have full stock in the own stores. Someone wrote in this thread a couple of days ago that Pediwear has a full waitinglist until june and this is not the list for delivery, this is the waiting list for your turn to PLACE a order. After that day it will take 8-10 weeks before Pediwear has your shoe and then you have shipping on top of that. So the choice right now is to buy directly from a C&J store (in UK or US) or wait until october/november to have the shoes for a few bucks less. Then one can always be lucky to find the shoe at a smaller e-store or a used one....

6. dandie

dandie Senior member

+1

I also believe that it is likely with demand > supply that indirect e-sales channels will not be supplied with further stock

So, buy from C&J direct, or buy something else

Also - just picked up a pair of Cavendish tassle loafer in burgundy cordovan. Photos to come this weekend.

For those obsevant few of you who may recall that may have been rather disparaging towards buyers of cordovan in the past, I say this: Hypocrisy is the one thing I won't accept in other people.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  7. RingTail

RingTail Senior member

Thanks guys, NYC Store has the Hallam for $570 so it's either that or something else.

8. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

FYI, I ordered a pair of Westbournes in chestnut from Robert Old:
    http://www.robertold.co.uk/products...l-shoes-36/crockett-jones-westbourne-564.aspx
    They talked to C&J and said there was a 5 week wait which I'm fine with. Of course they won't arrive for some time, but they deduct the VAT and have free shipping so it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the NYC store. I ordered them with the shoe trees for about $500. They carry the Hallam so you could always give a call and see if it's in stock or if not, what the timeframe is.
    http://www.robertold.co.uk/products...s-36/crockett-jones-hallam-e-fitting-550.aspx
    I spoke with Laura on the phone and she was very helpful and pleasant to deal with.

Fred

9. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Don't buy from the NYC store. Buy it from C&J UK.

10. Bonggoy

Bonggoy Senior member

Because ....

11. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

ime pricewise, still cheaper from UK including shipping, even with recent L15 increase...but that's assuming that buyer is familiar with fitting/last...

12. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

What does L15 mean?

13. Thanks SF (a new me)

meant to be 15 Brit pound...sorry I cant'd find the proper symbol :)

14. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

Sky Valet is a first class brick and mortar authorized dealer, not an e-store or discounter. They happen to take orders over the phone and internet as well, but they have a store in Georgetown in DC with C&J, EG, Loake, Alden, as well as a few Italian makers. They charge full list price for shoes, but sometimes do an in store discount on everything but Green. I think they only do Green MTO in store now. It's not on the website anymore.

While they may have limited stock in certain sizes, that's the nature of having a stockroom. You have what you haven't sold. It's not an unlimited amount of each size.

15. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Liquidus: seems like we might have to fight over C&J 6E's :slapfight:

One thing to keep in mind that if you order from the UK, you risk having to pay customs fees. Although depending on the carrier the chances of this happening might be small, it is important to be aware of this just in case it does happen.

16. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

From your signature I see you wear 5.5E? Do you wear this for all the C&J lasts? I typically wear 6E but the 6E on my 337 feels a bit voluminous. I once tried 5.5E in the store and the fit was better... they are just hard to find. I assume you get yours directly from the UK?

17. Slippybee

Slippybee Senior member

Couldn't agree more. I bought my first pair of C&J a decade or so ago from mtheir store in Colmore Row Birmingham when I was on a temporary posting there and have been buying from the same person in the store ever since.

They know me, know the lasts I like, know when to call me when new stock is arriving and are a fantastic source of advice.

In return I send them to the Cayman Islands for Christmas every year (that's what my credit card statement suggests anyway).

18. RingTail

RingTail Senior member

Thanks for the tip about Robert Old, in that case it would come to around $380 so do you pay when you place the order or when they receive the shoes and are about to ship?

As for ordering direct, I don't see a number to call the C&J factory store on their site, I only see info on individual stores. Should I just call any UK store?

19. Thanks SF (a new me)

for both 341 and 348, definitely 5.5E..I tried a 337 (handgrade?) sale item once in 6E and yes it was a little big. :confused: Note that I wear 7D with BB Peal CJ offerings.
    Having small feet definitely limits my options to take advantage of sales and deals. Direct order from C&J is my only course of action

20. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

I just ordered my first pair of CJ through Bodileys. There is a healthy wait for the shoes but thats fine with me.