1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Whiskey cordovan Skye.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. razl

razl Senior member

@zippyh ^^^ Suh-weet.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  3. Satmoche

Satmoche Senior member

[​IMG]

My first pair of Crockett & Jones.

4 people like this.
  4. mustud52

mustud52 New Member

Is the Vincent no longer in the C&J catalogue? I am happy with my pair of Crawford loafers and would have liked to purchase a pair of handgrade tassel loafers.

5. mxgreen

mxgreen Senior member

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  6. likenoother

likenoother Well-Known Member

if you're in size 11.5 / 12 ;)

7. insy

insy Senior member

8. mustud52

mustud52 New Member

Darn. Unfortunately I am not an elephant. A size 8 would have had my MasterCard flashing. I might ask my local supplier to see if the factory will make me happy. One does not always need a discount to be satisfied.

9. razl

razl Senior member

I'm happy to report my Islay's are breaking in nicely. Here they are getting another short outdoor session in prep for taking them on a trip to Maine in a couple of weeks...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Great looking boots. I feel like I should sell my AE Long Branches in brown grain and pick up a pit of Islays next.

1 person likes this.
  11. Skelnik

Skelnik Senior member

Beautiful! Really nice looking boots.

12. razl

razl Senior member

Thanks!

It took me quite the journey to finally get my pair but they were very much worth it. Over the past few years I've evolved to buying "fewer things of better quality" and these definitely fit that bill.

13. BackInTheJox

That's exactly where I'm now finding myself. Several years ago I was buying shoes left and right (a lot of AEs on steep discount), and while I still have plenty, for a while it was a revolving door as I would buy something (sometimes even used) and then realize I didn't really love them or have a use for them, and they'd end up on ebay.

Over the last year or so I've been trying to cull the herd and focus on quality rather than quantity. Which is partially what led me to C&J.

One of my problems (virtues?) is that I tend to find something I like and then buy a lot of that. I have 3 different pairs of Oak Street Bootmakers loafers, and both natural and brown shell Rancourt pinch penny loafers. My current issue is that I'm in for the GMTO for the whisky Marlow and the Lindrick, but am about to put in an order with Lauren for a Pembroke and am coveting the Islays. That would be two C&J shortwings (and the Marlow is just a shell Pembroke) and two C&J shortwing boots all at once.

I'll probably slow down a bit and take my time. Probably.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  14. andrewnguyen

andrewnguyen Member

Ho Guys,

Think you could help me out with this sizing enquiry.

I am thinking of having Cranford Chelsea in 360 which info isn't available much on the internet.

Was wondering if I shouls have it TTS or size it up 1/2 size as it is a narrow last?

I wear all CJ in 8.5 E Uk.

Thank you guys.

Andrew

15. razl

razl Senior member

Yep, been there, done that - though not quite to your level ;)

As an aside, I got both the Marlow and Lindrick RTW back in the day when there were deals to be had on them, and still both were a stretch for my wallet at the time. Those are two that I'm still very, very happy that I purchased; no regrets at all.

One tip that works for me is that when I find myself excited about a new find that I'm thinking about purchasing, I force myself to fence sit a reasonable amount of time to evaluate. Many times after a week or so of cooling off, I find I'm thankful that I didn't jump in. In retrospect, all of my worst mistake purchases were ones that I jumped on too quickly.

My last mental test is "what if it disappeared and wasn't available any more, would I regret not getting it?" - that's a great mental exercise for me; it really separates the wheat from the chaff. My Islays, which are from Purdey and on a different last, were exactly that situation since they discontinued them at the end of last season. I actually missed out until I was lucky enough for another buyer in my size for whom they didn't fit contacted me to sell.

16. BackInTheJox

All good points. I got into the shell game pretty late, after the Lindrick was discontinued and the prices of the Marlow skyrocketed. I still remember the most recent RL coupon fiasco (maybe two years ago?) where the Luxottica employee 40% off code leaked and worked on Marlows. I remember thinking "boy if I wanted to spend a ton of money on those shoes I would be pulling the trigger ASAP, but that's still too much." Then I probably went out and spent more than what they would've cost on 3 or 4 AE shoes I coveted less over a span of a few months.

I've wanted a pair of Marlows for a while, and the current favorable exchange rate caused me to jump in head first to the whisky GMTO, and to also jump on the Lindrick (which is discontinued, and cheaper than what it would be had it still remained in production by C&J/RL).

I agree that sitting on decisions is a great idea. Right now I'm thinking about how much I'd like to add a tan grain Pembroke, Islay, and chestnut Skye 3 to my arsenal. Oh and a dark brown grain Pembroke would be nice too.

It's so easy to get carried away. One thing at a time (or two, in the case of the GMTOs).

17. razl

razl Senior member

The good news is you (and I!) are finally on the right track - welcome to the club + congrats! From what I've read, both our stories and wallet damage follow a similar arc to most newbie SFers; I wish there had been a way through the learning process without the gorging + mistakes, but I'm glad I'm finally here.

Upwards and onwards + looking forward to seeing your whiskey MTO! :slayer:

18. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Okay so the socks ruin the look but was busy today running around town for my wife and comfort was king.

19. kelvw

kelvw Well-Known Member

Just a heads up for the guys in UK. There's a programme called 'Inside the Factory' which will be featuring Crockett & Jones on BBC2 at 8:00pm.

I can't wait :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07th7b1

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  20. sunicole

sunicole Senior member

will they replay? miss the live show