• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a bit more information about these boots. I know they're not the Chelsea 5 Chelsea Barney's NY currently sells (leather soles, not rubber), but that's about all I know. What vintage are they? Are these on the 238 last?

Shoe ID on heel:

Chelsea
8831 29x 8 1/2 D 044124
Leather Upper Lining
Made in England

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a plain 'ol benchgrade Drummond in Beechnut all gussied up with a special Gdot polish.

My shoe Appreciation photography skills still need some work - but I'm trying!

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hotdamn G, beautiful ! ...still hoping/waiting that C&J will find the Drummond beechnut in my size...

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hotdamn G, beautiful ! ...still hoping/waiting that C&J will find the Drummond beechnut in my size...

Did you call the NY store or one of the stores in London? If you called the NY store you are wasting your time, they won't check the London stock without 'proper' motivation. I have a SA in London - if you are serious about purchasing today he should be able to pull up the stock list and tell you right away if they have any or not. PM me if you want his details.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did you call the NY store or one of the stores in London? If you called the NY store you are wasting your time, they won't check the London stock without 'proper' motivation. I have a SA in London - if you are serious about purchasing today he should be able to pull up the stock list and tell you right away if they have any or not. PM me if you want his details.

i called the Jermyn/Exchange stores per your suggestion..inventory is currently showing none but they are are checking out other channels/stores for any stragglers out there.If they cannot find the beechnut, I may have to settle with the Tan or Chestnut..Thanks for checking G...very much appreciated

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I called the NYC store on Wed and my Drummonds arrived today. Fantastic shoe. Love the color and the look. I went with my same 341 last size (8.5) and they are working like a charm. They are longer but much of it is just cosmetic. They have quite the high instep--so if you don't have an arch, they are not for you. Thankful for me because low instep shoes are a pain in the foot.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I called the NYC store on Wed and my Drummonds arrived today. Fantastic shoe. Love the color and the look. I went with my same 341 last size (8.5) and they are working like a charm. They are longer but much of it is just cosmetic. They have quite the high instep--so if you don't have an arch, they are not for you. Thankful for me because low instep shoes are a pain in the foot.

Yay for one of my favorite shoes! I too wear the same size in the 341 and 348 last. And I also have the high instep.

My foot is a smidge narrow - yours?

What color did you get in the Drummonds?

Last edited:

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yay for one of my favorite shoes! I too wear the same size in the 341 and 348 last. And I also have the high instep.
My foot is a smidge narrow - yours?
What color did you get in the Drummonds?

My foot has some width but I am really a standard "D" or an EX in UK sizing--Crocketts work great for that. I went with the tan--I needed that color.

G after I get them polished up and put some appropriate colored socks on I will post some socks and shoes pics. Today I started out wiht chocolate suede shoes with burgundy OTC socks--was not a great match for the Tan Drummond.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My foot has some width but I am really a standard "D" or an EX in UK sizing--Crocketts work great for that. I went with the tan--I needed that color.

Cool. It's good to know how other people's feet are configured when comparing fit experiences. Thank you for that information.

I bought a pair in tan in November. They are chillin' in the closet awaiting warmer weather, as they seem to be a summer color to me.

I've not done much with them in terms of finishing/polish as of yet. But I'm thinking of making them a little bit less orange when the time comes. In the meantime, just taking them out of the box, conditioning them, and leaving them be has led to a little darkening already. It's a good thing.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Noiiiiice!!!!!

Thank you!

After taking the Appreciation pics I can finally wear them!

I'm anxious to see how this many coats of cream polish at once holds up to wear.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cool. It's good to know how other people's feet are configured when comparing fit experiences. Thank you for that information.
I bought a pair in tan in November. They are chillin' in the closet awaiting warmer weather, as they seem to be a summer color to me.
I've not done much with them in terms of finishing/polish as of yet. But I'm thinking of making them a little bit less orange when the time comes. In the meantime, just taking them out of the box, conditioning them, and leaving them be has led to a little darkening already. It's a good thing.

Agree with you re: warmer wather but when the came today I had to put them on. On the way home I had Bean boots on and fought the snow the whole way :(

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yep - I wore mine once right after I bought them - then put them away til spring.......

A guy has to try out a pair of new shoes..........seasons be damned!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My only logistical concern regarding length is that it can affect the location that the creasing sets up on ready to wear shoes - and that sometimes is a bugaboo.

true. imo, on the other hand with personal experience your feeling grows, where to set the line...

imo, it's important to be/get aware of the characteristics your feet have e.g. wide - narrow, high/low instep, heel width etc.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads