1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

Many thanks, very helpful

2. razl

razl Senior member

I promise :fistbump:

3. Lee Ken

Lee Ken Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got a pair of handgrade Audley from C&J

I opened the box and saw those bothersome areas sticking out. It's where the vamp meets the cap area. I know it won't cause problems while walking but is this considered a fault? I have bought some captoes from other brands in the past but never encountered this "problem" before. What would you guys do?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  4. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

@Lee Ken I believe they have just been tried on by someone before they posted them to you, a common practice from CJ lately as we could see.

5. Lee Ken

Lee Ken Member

I wouldn't be surprised if they're a pair of allen edmonds but for a shoe over 500 pounds...

6. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

It doesn't look like a problem of tried on shoes but a problem of the overlapping between layers: toe stiffener, lining, vamp/cap toe leather.

This could happen with factory made shoes where layers aren't perfectly skived.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. IGotId

IGotId Senior member

So I was able to try on navy Pembrokes in the NYC store however they cost close to $700. Is there a cheaper place I can order these from?

8. tonicab

tonicab Well-Known Member

I want to buy a Boston, Last 314 loafer in calf.

My sizes are:

Nike, NB and Reebok 11USA
    Adidas, Vans: 10,5 USA
    RW IR and 975 10USA
    Wolverine 9,5 USA
    Alden Aberdeen 10USA
    Carmina Uetam 9UK.
    Clarks 9UK.

C&J Boston 9UK or 9,5UK?

Regards.

9. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

10. Averroes1198

Averroes1198 Senior member

Indeed!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  11. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Hi gentlemen,
    I'm currently in the process of fine tuning my size for a GMTO of the Lindrick (as was posted above) as well as the GMTO for the whisky Marlow wingtip. I've been in contact with Lauren at C&J and she has been helpful so far, but I also wanted to gather some further insight from you seasoned veterans.

I measure out at about an 8.5E on the brannock. The bulk of my shoe wardrobe is AE, and I've never tried Alden so I don't have any good comparison. I typically wear 9E or 8.5E in most AE lasts. I have tried on the RL Marlow wingtip (this year's stock, if that matters) in US sizing. It seemed to me as though the Marlow ran "long" - in several AE shoes, a 9D fits me ok if not a little snug in width, but the 9D in the RL Marlow felt/looked huge on me.

-9D was way too long
    -8.5D was pretty good - a touch long but enough width that this would be my ideal size in a D width
    -8D was definitely too snug in all directions

In addition, I also own a pair of C&J for Brooks Brothers Black Fleece longwing bluchers on the 325 last (in my avatar) in size US 8.5D that fit me well. Similar to the Marlow - maybe a touch long, but the width is good.

I am trying to emulate the sizing of the US 8.5D Marlow for both my Lindrick and Marlow in UK sizing. They will only come in E widths, which I understand is UK's "normal" width, and the rough equivalent to the D width. In speaking with Lauren, she mentioned that the UK "E" is slightly wider than the "D" I am used to here in the US, but I don't know if that's true or if she was trying to explain the difference between an E and a D both in UK or what....

Anyway, her recommendation so far seems to be UK 8E for both. All my life I have been under the impression that UK and US sizing differs by 1 full size, and to my mind a UK 8E would fit like a US 9D (which, as I discussed above, was way too long in the RL Marlow). I also understand there is confusion surrounding the RL Marlow sizing and whether it's truly US or UK sizes on the website, etc.

Unfortunately I don't live near NYC or anywhere that I could try on the various models in UK sizing. Any helpful suggestions on sizing? The biggest help would be if someone could help me ascertain whether a 7.5E or 8E would be closest to the US 8.5D RL Marlow sizing.

Thanks!

12. Lee Ken

Lee Ken Member

Is it something I'd ask for a discount or exchange?

13. SteveL91

SteveL91 Senior member

@BackInTheJox,

I got my Lindricks this week. I'm a 10US on the brannock, but I have narrowish, rather low-volume feet. When I was trying to figure out sizing for the Lindrick/Marlow, I was told that for the US market, C&J shoes are off by half a size, so a 9UK would be a 9.5US. That has not been my experience. I went with a 9UK as recommended and it's bigger than my pair of Carmina boots on the Forest last in a 9UK. And the difference isn't merely the outsole because I'm using a large pair of shoetrees in the Lindricks, which have proved to be too big for actual 9.5US shoes. For what it's worth, I'm rather pleased with the fit of the Lindricks considering that the sizing was based purely on an educated guess by C&J. However, I'm not optimistic about the Marlows fitting well due to the shape of my feet. Having said that, I'd still go with the recommendation of C&J. I feel like the 8.5 would have been a bit tighter than I'd prefer in the Lindrick, but who knows.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  14. tocohillsguy

tocohillsguy Well-Known Member

I believe you have all the info you need to ask Lauren. Tell her the Marlow size that works for you and she will convert it to UK sizing. When I did the same I was told a 10.5D Marlow equals a 10E UK. I suspect she will tell you the 8.5D Marlow equals 8E UK. By the way, when I say equals I mean equals, not near or approximate.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  15. BackInTheJox

Thanks, she and I have actually discussed it and recommended an 8E UK, I was just looking for a little experiential confirmation from others in my position.

I'm your instance, what was the result? Did you buy a pair of 10E Marlows? Did they truly fit the same as 10.5D US?

16. BackInTheJox

I think one thing throwing me off here is the following statement she made in an email to me:

"The Lindrick's are going to be made on the E fitting last, which is a little wider than the D, so this is why we tend to go half a size down"

This was after I referenced wearing 8.5D US. I was under the impression UK E was the same as US D.

17. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

Us D is more likely to be a Uk D because insole is marked with a "4" so narrower than the insole of Uk E marked with a "5".

So seem they use a single scale for width (like Edward green) and two scales for lenght (uk/us)

It is pretty confusing and what they said sometimes don't correspond to buyers experience

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  18. tocohillsguy

tocohillsguy Well-Known Member

I'm awaiting delivery so I can not give a definite confirmation, but I think you may be confusing two issues. How CJ's UK sizing generally compare to traditional US sizes, and how do they compare to US sized Marlows? Sizing can be a challenge when you don't have an opportunity to try on the shoes. Many find the Marlows run a half size too large, others like me do not although I don't like my shoes too snug and I like that the laces don't leave much of a gap. In your case, you've had the good fortune to be able to try on the Marlows, and have found a size that works. Now the only issue is to determine the appropriate conversion factor between how the Marlows are marked and how you convert them to UK size. That's an easy exercise for Lauren.

19. ErikW

ErikW Senior member

Snagged these C&J Sedgemoor 2 suede PTBs on the 335 last.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. BackInTheJox

Hmmmm...,. So you're suggesting that the D width used for the Marlows sold on Ralph Lauren's US website may, in fact, be a UK D width? I've seen some people suggest and refute that on here before. I don't have a pair in my possession to look and see if they put a number (4 or 5) inside as well.