• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The value used to be there, but I haven't bought a thing since 2010, to me at least at retail CJ no longer present value...

P.s. Or I am just cheap ass in general, didn't even spend more than 550 on GG, so unless the CJ I'm interested in is ~300 or less I usually pass

andermt

Reaction score

jssdc

Reaction score

Sorry if can't read all 589 pages (as of today), but I am really wondering where everyone is getting their C&J shoes. Because if it's where I'd expect them to be (regular brick and mortar stores, as well as British online stores), then I seriously don't get the hype. Not that I own any - just saw them in stores and tried on. But if the benchgrade level prices are around GBP 400, then it's more like Carmina-level quality at 1.5x the price. For that matter, Church's CG, overpriced as they are, seem to be a better offer for that price. AS Exclusive has better finishing, although I'm not so sure about their leather quality. Long story short, what's so special about C&J benchgrade? There must be something I don't see here, given all the praise, so is it about exceptional durability or some other factors I can't see since I don't actually own any C&J?

Nothing is special about them. They're nice shoes at that price point. Not as nice as AS exclusive or C&J HG but cheaper than both, better than AE and more expensive. As far as I can tell your math above is wrong. C&J BG are like £330 ex VAT and Carmina are like €500....so pretty much the same when not on sale. If you like Carmina better then great, they're a fine shoe. C&J is more English in styling which I tend to like so I own 2 C&J BG and zero Carmina (although I'm looking at a gal boot from them at some point). Are either a "good deal"? Who knows, but it's sort of a waste of time to think about pricey shoes in those terms anyways.

Church's I don't like. I think they're ugly, I don't like the Prada association, some of they're styles are atrocious, and a colleague of mine has had several pair with nothing positive to say.

Topaze

Reaction score
Nothing is special about them. They're nice shoes at that price point. Not as nice as AS exclusive or C&J HG but cheaper than both, better than AE and more expensive. As far as I can tell your math above is wrong. C&J BG are like £330 ex VAT and Carmina are like €500....so pretty much the same when not on sale. If you like Carmina better then great, they're a fine shoe. C&J is more English in styling which I tend to like so I own 2 C&J BG and zero Carmina (although I'm looking at a gal boot from them at some point). Are either a "good deal"? Who knows, but it's sort of a waste of time to think about pricey shoes in those terms anyways.

Church's I don't like. I think they're ugly, I don't like the Prada association, some of they're styles are atrocious, and a colleague of mine has had several pair with nothing positive to say.
Some regional differences here, clearly. Carmina in calf is about EUR 350-370 tops, and that's including VAT. You can check both the official store and e.g. Skoaktiebolaget. EUR 500 is way too much for Carmina. At that price I'd just pay a bit more to buy Vass.

The ex VAT price of C&J BG that you're quoting seems to be correct, though. Perhaps even less in some online stores, but not much less. So the price difference is quite substantial.

Talking about Church's is like talking about three different worlds. There is some crap that's clearly Prada-influenced, there are shoes of perfectly classic design but mediocre quality (I'm talking about the City Line and other similar stuff now), and there are classic shoes that are part of the Custom Grade line. AFAIK, the quality of the latter is (still?) very high. I'm only talking about those latter shoes when I compare Church's to C&J BG.

Last edited:

jssdc

Reaction score
Well if you like them the same then you may as well save a hundred bucks and get them. If you like the C&J more then a hundred bucks isn't all that much in the grand scheme of an already pricey purchase. Not sure what else you were looking for in your original post but there's no special sauce to these shoes, just as there isn't for any other. Some like them more and some don't. Value and efficiency are sort of odd concepts to apply to shoe purchases once you get past Allen Edmonds.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@greasymonkey Gents, thought this might be of some interest.

Made a visit to the FS store today. Tried a few pairs on but no KOP! I can't believe how proud I am. A couple took my eye but not enough to push me over the edge.

I subsequently drove round to Lobbs and ummmed and ached over a couple of pairs and didn't KOP! Phew! Now think that was a mistake...

So, representative of what was on the shelves today

phildi

Reaction score
Just sharing the excitement for my Friday lunchtime shopping

C&J Edgware, Dark Brown Burnished Calf

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Nice! Any photos of the size 12 rack?

Sorry mate no. Pretty much all the racks were made up the same though. I'm looking for some black cap toes and no dice which is why I went to Lobbs

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were there I would probably snag that Finsbury in chestnut calf.
Good work @Cleav

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Folks, need a hand here.

I am planning to unload a pair of NIB Highbury's (Dark Brown) made for Barney's but want to make sure that it's really supposed to be that elongated. Can someone with a pair of 9Ds verify that the sole length is about 12 inches, measured from heal to tip? Some reports earlier by members in this thread that Barney's C&Js sometimes have longer toes than in regular models (not sure that was true, but remembered the reports).

Beautiful shoes and while I think I would get used to the elongated toe, I think better to use the funds to get something that I would be more comfortable wearing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This fall, I acquired a pair of C&J "Derwent" boots from France (UK10.5). Dark brown, wonderfully soft leather derby boots with a fairly elongated toe and Dainite soles. I had planned to wear these on rainy or snowy days, but the non-storm welt, and soft, supple (and relatively thin) leather don't seem rugged enough. The Derwent seems to have been primarily sold in France, rather than US or UK. I could not find much info. online so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with or knows anything else about this model. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics